Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld light under $100?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Handheld light under $100?

Hey all,

Need to buy a handheld flashlight and looking under $100. I see a Surefire G2X with 600 lumens that seems decent around $70-80. Anything else worth considering? My only requirements are tail cap switch, can take a beating and over 500 lumens.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Streamlight protac 2L-x uses one 18650 rechargeable or two cr123 $46 on amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I very much like the 6PX Tactical I picked up last year. Keep an eye on ebay, you can sometimes find them for around $60. Mine runs fine on a 16650 Li-ion cell.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks Gents. The USB charging is interesting on that Polytac. I think that might be a winner.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Personally, I find Surefire hard to beat any price. I also prefer their operating system of press for low, press further/click for high or vice versa versus Streamlight's system of selecting operating modes. My $0.02

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the previous generation G2X (320 lumen) and I’ve dropped it, thrown it, opened beer bottles with the bezel, and fallen directly on it a few times riding my bike. It’s never so much as flickered. It’s been on my rifle now for about 3k rounds with no issues.

Now that they have a 600 lumen model that’s my recommendation.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I have the previous generation G2X (320 lumen) and I’ve dropped it, thrown it, opened beer bottles with the bezel, and fallen directly on it a few times riding my bike. It’s never so much as flickered. It’s been on my rifle now for about 3k rounds with no issues.

Now that they have a 600 lumen model that’s my recommendation.
    Whatever you get, make sure it will run on Li-Ion rechargeable batteries. They're cheap, last a LONG time and save you a ton of $$$ on CR123's. Not every light that uses 123's will accept something like an 18650.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The SureFire G2ZX is also another option. It has combat rings to facilitate the Rogers technique.

USB charging (i.e., lights with internal batteries) is a convenient feature, but it has its drawbacks. A light powered by CR123 cells for example, can quickly be put back into duty when its batteries run out of juice simply by replacing the drained batteries with fresh ones. Unless you are fastidious about keeping your light charged, you may find yourself in the dark with a useless paperweight at an inopportune moment. What do you then? Plug your light into the power bank in your pocket?

Secondly, rechargeable batteries diminish in their ability to hold a full charge over time. Ever notice that your smartphone dies a lot faster after you've owned it for a couple of years? The same thing happens to lights with non-replaceable batteries.
    "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    The SureFire G2ZX is also another option. It has combat rings to facilitate the Rogers technique.

USB charging (i.e., lights with internal batteries) is a convenient feature, but it has its drawbacks. A light powered by CR123 cells for example, can quickly be put back into duty when its batteries run out of juice simply by replacing the drained batteries with fresh ones. Unless you are fastidious about keeping your light charged, you may find yourself in the dark with a useless paperweight at an inopportune moment. What do you then? Plug your light into the power bank in your pocket?

Secondly, rechargeable batteries diminish in their ability to hold a full charge over time. Ever notice that your smartphone dies a lot faster after you've owned it for a couple of years? The same thing happens to lights with non-replaceable batteries.
    Although most of your points are true, there is info missing that makes it inconsequential. A partially drained 18650 will still outlast 2 CR123's by a longshot. As long as you can change out the battery on the flashlight, most of them do, who cares if it can USB charge or not, carry a couple 18650's in a little carry case and your golden. Extra batteries are extra batteries.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 03-27-19 at 13:20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast