Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Reliable AR15 for Self Defense?

Feedback Score

Most Reliable AR15 for Self Defense?

I've been deliberating over this issue for months. I bought a Colt 6920 as my main go-to rifle in 2016 specifically because I thought it was the most reliable AR15 I could buy. It has never jammed, but several months ago I started reading about the improved reliability of midlength gas systems and am doubting my purchase. In short, I want the most reliable AR15 I can get. I'm not interested in the bells and whistles of the KAC or URGI, but I am interested in maximum reliability. I'd rather not have to spend $2500 on just the rifle and would prefer something basic, but I will save up for that if that's what it takes.

What is the most reliable AR15? Do you have to go to KAC with the expensive features I don't want (such as the URX rail, flash hider, etc) to get the most reliable rifle?

(I also have a Colt AR15A4, but I'm starting to agree that it's a bit long for indoors use)

Something I've been considering was re-barreling my 6920 with the same barrel the URGI uses by Daniel Defense, but I'm not sure if that's an efficient option.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 01-04-19 at 20:49.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You really don't need to start a new thread everytime a new idea comes to light. You are overthinking this shit massively. Get your carbine set up, and spend some money on reputable training first.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I've been deliberating over this issue for months. I bought a Colt 6920 as my main go-to rifle in 2016 specifically because I thought it was the most reliable AR15 I could buy. It has never jammed, but several months ago I started reading about the improved reliability of midlength gas systems and am doubting my purchase. In short, I want the most reliable AR15 I can get. I'm not interested in the bells and whistles of the KAC or URGI, but I am interested in maximum reliability. I'd rather not have to spend $2500 on just the rifle and would prefer something basic, but I will save up for that if that's what it takes.

What is the most reliable AR15? Do you have to go to KAC with the expensive features I don't want (such as the URX rail, flash hider, etc) to get the most reliable rifle?

(I also have a Colt AR15A4, but I'm starting to agree that it's a bit long for indoors use)

Something I've been considering was re-barreling my 6920 with the same barrel the URGI uses by Daniel Defense, but I'm not sure if that's an efficient option.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I understand if this thread needs to be taken down or locked. I'm aware I've been talking about it quite a bit. I guess I'm just still just experiencing buyers remorse.

Feedback Score
    You bought a reliable rifle. Things can and will break with use (KAC too). Rest easy. Shoot it and have fun.

Feedback Score
    This is obsessive in the extreme.

Buy a good rifle. Use good ammo, and good mags.
    Practice, if you have an issue, fix it.

Colt it a great choice.
    KAC is a great choice.
    Bcm or DD midlengths are great choices.

You could buy a mod1 KAC upper for a bit less and throw it on your colt lower to save some money.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I doubt you will ever break your 6920, or shoot enough to wear it out. Buy ammo, mags, a decent optic, and train with it. There is nothing inherently unreliable about a carbine gas system, especially on a rifle made by a reputable manufacturer like Colt, DD, BCM, etc..

Feedback Score
    A number of AR's are very reliable, a Colt 6920 is one of them. If your weapon malfunctions in combat, it doesn't guarantee that you are dead. Immediate action, spare mags and the ability to remain calm under fire will probably prevail. If it don't, maximum reliability probably wouldn't save you from being dead. I can't swear to this, but I think most dead people would still be dead with an absolutely flawless AR and lots of people are still alive, in spite of the fact they had to use a shitty AR.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Edited because there is nothing I can add to what the SMEs are telling you. Your 6920 is the Toyota Tacoma or the Honda Civic of the AR world, never a bad choice.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-04-19 at 22:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No failure=no problem.

Every manufacturer will have its odd goof-up. Most "bottom-barrel" manufacturers will have their exceptionally well-built flukes. Everyone has an opinion on what the best is, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Like Iraqguns said, worry more about getting good training on it. If it does eventually fail, figure out the problem; and go from there. Don't buy into the "this is the best that ever was" stuff, because it's usually nothing more than anecdotal drivel in favor of someone's opinion.

Now, that doesn't mean that if a company has a reputation for poor QC or materials, that you should chance it; but a solid gun plus great training is better than a top-of-the-line masterpiece with none...unless, of course you have the means to get both.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Alright, I appreciate everyone's responses. For now I'm going to buy more ammo, a red dot, practice, and attend another training class. I won't beat this dead horse anymore. Eventually I may spring for a midlength upper.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast