Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Reliable AR15 for Self Defense?

Feedback Score
    Now that you've owned it for two years with no malfunctions, anything you change has the potential to introduce new unforeseen problems.

If I had this level of OCD, I would just buy an LMT Enhanced BCG, shoot it 500 rounds, and if no malfunctions call it a day.

Do you have an Aimpoint Micro/Comp or a Trijicon ACOG as your optic? Do you have a Surefire M300 or m600 Scout light? Those are the standards for reliability in optics and lights.

How about mags? OKAY Surefeed E2 are the most reliable feeding mags for home defense. In the field, they can bend and dent so it's Pmags and Lancers for that application.

How about ammo? You need super reliable ammo that works with your gun.

If you do want a mid length system, pick up a BCM mid-length with their MCMR rail and ELW BFH barrel. Either just the upper, or upper and lower separately to save on the 11% excise tax. You'll get the free float rail, properly contoured barrel, and BCM qc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by herkle View Post
    Now that you've owned it for two years with no malfunctions, anything you change has the potential to introduce new unforeseen problems.

If I had this level of OCD, I would just buy an LMT Enhanced BCG, shoot it 500 rounds, and if no malfunctions call it a day.

Do you have an Aimpoint Micro/Comp or a Trijicon ACOG as your optic? Do you have a Surefire M300 or m600 Scout light? Those are the standards for reliability in optics and lights.

How about mags? OKAY Surefeed E2 are the most reliable feeding mags for home defense. In the field, they can bend and dent so it's Pmags and Lancers for that application.

How about ammo? You need super reliable ammo that works with your gun.

If you do want a mid length system, pick up a BCM mid-length with their MCMR rail and ELW BFH barrel. Either just the upper, or upper and lower separately to save on the 11% excise tax. You'll get the free float rail, properly contoured barrel, and BCM qc.
    As far as changing things introducing unforseen problems, that's what's made me hesitate on simply swapping out for a midlength barrel, gas tube, and gas block. I should probably just get a new upper before that point.

I do not currently have an optic, but I've had my eyes set on the COMP-M4, and the M300 light. Magazines are all PMAGS, and so far I've only been shooting Lake City 855, 193, and Federal .223 55gr. I plan to only shoot M855 (Lake City or IMI) out of it for practice going forward.

If I do go to midlength it sounds like my safest bet is to buy a BCM, DD, or the Geiselle URGI clone. But the practical thing to do right now would be to focus on practicing with it as it is and getting a good optic, light, and ammunition.

Feedback Score
    Somewhere on this forum you can find an older thread by Eurodriver. He put his personally owned 6920 through hell, to include running over it with a truck. Several times. It just kept on working. It finally stopped working when it took a tumble down a cliff, and I think the impact caused the barrel to bend.

My opinion, shoot your 6920 and verify function. Then lube it, load it, and drive on. And don’t throw it off a mountainside.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    As far as changing things introducing unforseen problems, that's what's made me hesitate on simply swapping out for a midlength barrel, gas tube, and gas block. I should probably just get a new upper before that point.

I do not currently have an optic, but I've had my eyes set on the COMP-M4, and the M300 light. Magazines are all PMAGS, and so far I've only been shooting Lake City 855, 193, and Federal .223 55gr. I plan to only shoot M855 (Lake City or IMI) out of it for practice going forward.

If I do go to midlength it sounds like my safest bet is to buy a BCM, DD, or the Geiselle URGI clone. But the practical thing to do right now would be to focus on practicing with it as it is and getting a good optic, light, and ammunition.
    Don’t waste your money on M855. M193 clones are cheaper and work just as well at putting holes in paper. Use something better for putting holes in people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Don’t waste your money on M855. M193 clones are cheaper and work just as well at putting holes in paper. Use something better for putting holes in people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Truth. There is a lot of reliable information around on viable defensive ammo.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Something I've been considering was re-barreling my 6920 with the same barrel the URGI uses by Daniel Defense, but I'm not sure if that's an efficient option.
    You are more likely to have a problem with the gun if you have it rebarreled than you are if you leave it as it is. Someone could muck up the rebarreling.

This really is getting silly. It's not like you are going to be going the Afghanistan or Iraq and firing 500 rounds a day in the middle of a sandstorm for weeks on end without sufficient opportunity to clean or lubricate it.

You are talking about taking it to the range and practice and hopefully taking a shooting course or two with plenty of opportunity to lubricate it.

Using the exact same gun that you have, many people have taken 2-3 day classes where they may be firing 500-700 rounds a day and never experienced a single malfunction. As long as you are using good magazines and good ammo, you should be fine.

I would add the Aimpoint pro. You will be amazed how much faster and easier you can engage targets.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 01-05-19 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Something must be in the water lately.

Buy quality, then think less, shoot / train more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It sounds like you really just need to to shoot it more to become comfortable with it running.

M855 is generally both more expensive and less accurate than M193. Put that price difference towards gear and training.

The idea of changing the barrel (or a complete upper) to a midlength is fine, but is not needed and not the priority vs the gear and training.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Shoot it till it dies. I guarantee it will make you better informed on your next purchase decision.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You have a Colt 6920, an AR that's about as reliable and durable as it gets. Don't even think about middies or uppers or gas blocks or any of that nonsense until you have sent at least a couple thousand rounds down range with your Colt.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-05-19 at 02:09.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast