Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Small Arms Solutions video: "The Buffer - Theory and when to Use What Buffer"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Changing buffer weights makes small but important differences.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    H2 needs to be the industry standard IMO instead of H1. And more AR manufactures need to build their AR around the H2 as the standard. H2 seems to be the best all around buffer that function well in a wide variety of situation. Same seems to apply to the A5H2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Account View Post
    H2 needs to be the industry standard IMO instead of H1. And more AR manufactures need to build their AR around the H2 as the standard. H2 seems to be the best all around buffer that function well in a wide variety of situation. Same seems to apply to the A5H2
    FNG here, I've been considering putting an H2 in my AR, but have wondered if it would cause malfunctions with .223. It has a gov't profile barrel, not the SOCOM.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCourier View Post
    FNG here, I've been considering putting an H2 in my AR, but have wondered if it would cause malfunctions with .223. It has a gov't profile barrel, not the SOCOM.
    This is exactly the misinformation Im trying to counter. Yet people are still trying tell me Im wrong.

Cajun what matters is the gas system length and gas port, not the profile of your barrel. You need to tell us the gas system length and the mfg of the barrel so we can roughly gauge the gas port size.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-19-19 at 21:44.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Proper operation relies upon correctly matching the gas system components with the buffer and spring, for the weakest ammo one is shooting. There is no “one size fits all” buffer, too many barrel port variations.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    This is exactly the misinformation Im trying to counter. Yet people are still trying tell me Im wrong.

Cajun what matters is the gas system length and gas port, not the profile of your barrel. You need to tell us the gas system length and the mfg of the barrel so we can roughly gauge the gas port size.
    Not Cajun, but...

I just picked up a 14.5" LMT M4 profile carbine upper. I probably will buy a complete LMT lower for it, which comes with an H1 buffer.

Would the LMT benefit from an H2 buffer right off the bat, or should I just shoot with the H1 and see how it acts?

Ammunition will range from modest .223 handloads to full 5.56 factory.

My BCM 16" middie runs that range with a H1 buffer, as does my 16" carbine (.060 port) with an H2.

Thanks
    Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Colt developed the H buffer because they encountered bolt bounce in the M4 during full-auto fire. They developed the H2 buffer because they again encountered bolt bounce during full-auto fire with the heavier M4 SOCOM barrel.

Andy, go ahead and shoot your LMT with the H buffer. It won't hurt anything. Until you actually shoot your rifle, you can only guess. During one experiment, I tuned the adjustable gas block until it would eject but not lock back on the last round using an H buffer. Then, I opened it one click so it would lock back every time. I then closed the AGB one click and tested it with the lighter CAR buffer. Same result. Function of the AR with the CAR buffer required the same settings of the AGB. I got the same results testing the H2 buffer. The difference was in the felt recoil. The felt recoil with the CAR buffer was sharper. Recoil with the H buffer was slightly sharper than with the H2 buffer. While felt recoil was softest with the H2 buffer, it also felt slightly sluggish. However, that didn't affect function during semi-auto rapid fire.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ^exactly

The buffers main function is damp the blow returning to battery.

Using it to control carrier speed is ridiculous.

That's why the A5 thread is the biggest joke on the internet.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Not Cajun, but...

I just picked up a 14.5" LMT M4 profile carbine upper. I probably will buy a complete LMT lower for it, which comes with an H1 buffer.

Would the LMT benefit from an H2 buffer right off the bat, or should I just shoot with the H1 and see how it acts?

Ammunition will range from modest .223 handloads to full 5.56 factory.

My BCM 16" middie runs that range with a H1 buffer, as does my 16" carbine (.060 port) with an H2.

Thanks
    Andy
    Yes, I have used that exact same LMT barrel with a H2 + springco blue with perfect functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    ^exactly

The buffers main function is damp the blow returning to battery.

Using it to control carrier speed is ridiculous.

That's why the A5 thread is the biggest joke on the internet.
    Nm. Im not even gonna bother with these people anymore.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-20-19 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you both Mistwolf and Vicious CB!

Andy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast