Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Arms Solutions video: "The Buffer - Theory and when to Use What Buffer"

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Small Arms Solutions video: "The Buffer - Theory and when to Use What Buffer"

I recently came across this video and found it to be interesting.

To wit, the proper choice of buffer weight is apparently largely based on how heavy the barrel is. So the LE6920 and M4 have H buffers because of the government contour barrels they have, while M4A1s with the SOCOM contour barrel have H2s because of how much heavier the SOCOM barrel is (and the H2 was originally developed for Colt's piston-operated guns). And then the H3 was developed for the super-heavy barreled Colt IAR.

So... is the premise correct? If so, is it not foolish to chase after different buffer weights for rifles, should one not choose the buffer weight based on the barrel contour rather than a perception of being overgassed or undergassed?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That is completely wrong...

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    That is completely wrong...
    Did I misunderstand him or is he wrong?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The heavier the gun or barrel, the worse the bolt bounce is, as the gun has more interia to resist the BCG from going into battery.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Did I misunderstand him or is he wrong?
    You should NOT be choosing buffer weight based on barrel profile. Buffer weight should be based on gas system + gas port size aka how much gas drive is accelerating your bolt carrier. By increasing the reciprocating you are lowering the carrier velocity and allowing more time for feeding and extraction.

Is what he is saying true, yes BUT its almost like he read some historical engineers note on what the buffer was originally designed to do which was act like a dead blow hammer to keep the bolt carrier from bouncing back. As most of us know, the buffer plays a far more important role than that.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, the reciprocating mass and gas drive should be matched.

Our approach is to select the A5H2 buffer first and adjust gas drive to achieve proper function.

This works well for any possible configuration.

Rifle or CAR H2 buffers are acceptable alternative baselines.

You should NOT be choosing buffer weight based on barrel profile. Buffer weight should be based on gas system + gas port size aka how much gas drive is accelerating your bolt carrier. By increasing the reciprocating you are lowering the carrier velocity and allowing more time for feeding and extraction.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score

Is what he is saying true, yes BUT its almost like he read some historical engineers note on what the buffer was originally designed to do which was act like a dead blow hammer to keep the bolt carrier from bouncing back. As most of us know, the buffer plays a far more important role than that.
    He worked at Colt, and read every Engineering Change Order dating back to the 60's up to very recently (2005 I think). He knows what he's talking about.

The thing is, what he is saying relates to Colt and military use, not necessarily civilian use. Colt issues the M4 with H buffers for a reason. The military wants it's rifle to function 100% no matter how fouled, dirty or dry the gun is and how cold the temperature is. They're not gonna put too heavy of a buffer in there and risk the gun not cycling in ALL conditions possible. The AR15 is already a borderline system.

The free-moving buffer weights were implemented to kill the bolt carrier bounce that created failures to fire on full auto. The bigger the barrel mass, the more bounce the bolt carrier is going to experience, the heavier the buffer should be to kill the bounce. Simple physics.

The buffer weight use in the civilian world is gonna vary wildly based on personnal preferences and the fact that too many manufacturers build barrels with too much variation in gas port size, and people run the whole spectrum of ammo from low-ass power garbage to very hot 5.56.

He isn't saying "you absolutely have to use that buffer with that gun or imma break yo legs fool".
    Last edited by Artiz; 01-05-19 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The Army currently uses H2 buffers in their carbines as they are being converted over to SOCOM profiles, if they haven't done so already. Gas port sizes in both barrels is the same. Put an H2 buffer in a 6920 and it will run all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Artiz View Post
    He worked at Colt, and read every Engineering Change Order dating back to the 60's up to very recently (2005 I think). He knows what he's talking about.

The thing is, what he is saying relates to Colt and military use, not necessarily civilian use. Colt issues the M4 with H buffers for a reason. The military wants it's rifle to function 100% no matter how fouled, dirty or dry the gun is and how cold the temperature is. They're not gonna put too heavy of a buffer in there and risk the gun not cycling in ALL conditions possible. The AR15 is already a borderline system.

The free-moving buffer weights were implemented to kill the bolt carrier bounce that created failures to fire on full auto. The bigger the barrel mass, the more bounce the bolt carrier is going to experience, the heavier the buffer should be to kill the bounce. Simple physics.

The buffer weight use in the civilian world is gonna vary wildly based on personnal preferences and the fact that too many manufacturers build barrels with too much variation in gas port size, and people run the whole spectrum of ammo from low-ass power garbage to very hot 5.56.

He isn't saying "you absolutely have to use that buffer with that gun or imma break yo legs fool".

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

That had been my understanding. The link between buffer weight and barrel contour was completely new to me, but the way it was laid out in the video made sense and made me think I knew less than I thought I did (which wasn't much to begin with).
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiz View Post

Thats perfectly fine if he's repeating whatever reason the engineers wrote down as a historical anecdote but that isnt reality. I know for a #fact that there are savvy SF guys out there who will tune their buffer weight specifically to drop the the cyclic rate on their 416s suppressed and unsuppressed. Its also a #fact that there guys out there that had to scrounge H6 buffers because the H1's in their M4s didnt play well with M855A1. If thats not a military application I dont know what is.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-06-19 at 05:10.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast