Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Sporter Upper Needs a Barrel Assembly- Need Help

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Colt Sporter Upper Needs a Barrel Assembly- Need Help

Yesterday was the 16th anniversary of my deployment to Kuwait (in preparation for the invasion of Iraq). Gripped by nostalgia I purchased a Colt Sporter HBAR Match upper last night in order to create an M16A2 clone to honor the musket that served me so well in the fight. The upper will be mated to a 6920 that I’ll put an A2 stock assembly on. My concern is which barrel to use. After several hours of researching the archives here, my understanding is that it’ll be fine (from the standpoint of reliable rifle operation) for me to use a Standard BCM 20” barrel with M4 feed ramps and a F marked FSB. Please let me know if I have erred in my conclusions.

Many Thanks!
    A
    Last edited by Apoptotic; 01-21-19 at 13:59. Reason: Clarification

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    That's one of the better barrels that you can buy in that configuration.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    To drill down a bit: are you saying that the barrel’s M4 feed ramps, mated to the Sporter upper, shouldn’t impede the proper operation of the rifle?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoptotic View Post
    Yesterday was the 16th anniversary of my deployment to Kuwait (in preparation for the invasion of Iraq). Gripped by nostalgia I purchased a Colt Sporter HBAR Match upper last night in order to create an M16A2 clone to honor the musket that served me so well in the fight. The upper will be mated to a 6920 that I’ll put an A2 stock assembly on. My concern is which barrel to use. After several hours of researching the archives here, my understanding is that it’ll be fine (from the standpoint of reliable rifle operation) for me to use a Standard BCM 20” barrel with M4 feed ramps and a F marked FSB. Please let me know if I have erred in my conclusions.

Many Thanks!
    A

Your Colt upper from the 20" Match HBAR will not have M4 feedramps in it. The BCM barrel you have selected is not compatible with it. Are you trying to install the BCM barrel in the Colt upper receiver?

If you want to create an M16A2 clone, then you need to buy a preban R6551 Sport Target Model (this is not an HBAR rifle) and install a Colt M16A2 barrel in it.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hell. That’s some sad face news, though much appreciated.

So I bought this upper off of Gun Broker. After reading your post, I contacted the seller and he told me that he has a Colt A2 style upper with M4 feed ramps that he’ll provide me in lieu of the Sporter upper. I reckon, however, this can’t be true given what you’ve just told me.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoptotic View Post
    Hell. That’s some sad face news, though much appreciated.

So I bought this upper off of Gun Broker. After reading your post, I contacted the seller and he told me that he has a Colt A2 style upper with M4 feed ramps that he’ll provide me in lieu of the Sporter upper. I reckon, however, this can’t be true given what you’ve just told me.

You are getting yourself into a massive rabbit hole.

Yes there are carbine A2 uppers with M4 feedramps.

You also have to pay attention to the front pivot hole of your lower. What size it it?

IMHO, you need to abandon the parts you already have and buy this:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795443098

Find a new old stock M16A2 barrel for it.
    Last edited by scottryan; 01-21-19 at 16:52.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Also, perhaps I’m being imprecise using the word “clone.” I want a rifle comprised of a Colt upper and lower that has the major styling cues of the M16A2. I just want an Colt AR with a 20” barrel and a damn carrying handle
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Apologies. I was writing my last note and didn’t see your last post. Thank you for the link. The pivot hole is .250.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So I have this $200 upper coming now. I don’t want a Colt paper weight. So, if this upper he sends me has M4 feed ramps and fits my lower, is the BCM barrel idea workable, if not perfect?
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    There is a 20" FN A2 barrel for sale in the equipment exchange. I am certain if you IM the seller, he could answer any compatibility questions.

I would provide a link, but I don't know if that is Kosher...

Andy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast