Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Arms Solutions video: "The Buffer - Theory and when to Use What Buffer"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Saying just match the buffer weight to barrel profile is such limited thinking. By saying that you pretty much sending people down the wrong road in the regards how they should buffer their guns. As evidenced by the OP's first post.

Recommending a heavy buffer to cure an overgassed gun is also sending someone down of the wrong road.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Because the bolt velocity on a rifle is lower than that of a carbine. It does not impact the chamber extension with such force.

Furthermore, these people running rifle length heavy barrels are not running them in full auto. Bolt bounce isn't much of an issue in semi auto.
    Awesome, thank you. I'm always learning. So in that application, there would be no reason to go to a heavier buffer, when things run smooth, brass is coming out around 3-4 o'clock? As in "don't fix what ain't broken"?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Recommending a heavy buffer to cure an overgassed gun is also sending someone down of the wrong road.
    What about the venerated 6920? Clearly not overgassed but many on this board would recommend using an H2 buffer even though factory spec'd it ships with an H1.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Question...how would you go about dealing with an over gassed gun? Re-barrel with the proper port? Adjustable gas block? Other options?
    Last edited by TomMcC; 01-09-19 at 17:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    What about the venerated 6920? Clearly not overgassed but many on this board would recommend using an H2 buffer even though factory spec'd it ships with an H1.
    In my experience, changing buffer weights should be done to fine tune a properly gassed AR.

Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Question...how would you go about dealing with an over gassed gun? Re-barrel with the proper port? Adjustable gas block? Other options?
    Change barrels, install a BRT Micro Tune kit or use an SLR adjustable gas block.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    None of this would be an issue if we would just stick to 20" barrels with 12" gas systems, just as Eugene Stoner the patron saint of direct impingement intended.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    In my experience, changing buffer weights should be done to fine tune a properly gassed AR.

Change barrels, install a BRT Micro Tune kit or use an SLR adjustable gas block.
    What I did on a very gassy LMT 16" carbine 10 years or more ago: Swapped the semi-bcg for full auto...installed a RED chrome-silicon recoil spring from Sprinco & stepped up the buffer one notch. And finally- added a VG6 muzzle brake. Been a 100% flawless rifle that stays dead straight during firing, and recoils like a purring kitten.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Best option is to rebarrel. I have been extremely picky lately with my most current builds on what barrel I select.

Secondly, if rebarrel was not an option, I would install a BRT gas tube with reduced port.

I have also used factory Noveske barrels with factory pinned switchblocks if a long handguard is not required.

I will not use an adjustable gas block (or any gas block) with set screws.

I have also found on overgassed guns, going to a heavier buffer basically doesn't solve anything. It will not eliminate premature extraction. It will not eliminate case head swipe. And then it causes short stroking when the buffer gets too heavy.
    Last edited by scottryan; 01-10-19 at 09:14.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm not Scottyryan.

I did, however, install a .060 BRT Custom Tune Gas Port in the FSB of a seriously overgassed 16" carbine with excellent results.

It still locks open on an empty magazine running an H2 buffer, but I live in Alabama, so no cold weather testing here.

Andy

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No no no.

You need a special color super tactical spring and homemade mix of tungsten and steel weights to get a big window.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast