Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Small Arms Solutions video: "The Buffer - Theory and when to Use What Buffer"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So, I watched the video and he clearly stated he’s talking about Military rifles in full auto.

He also stated very clearly civilians in semi mode wouldn’t experience the types of issues he’s talking about.
    He seems very well respected in the industry and has credentials.

I guess I don’t understand the controversy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Saying just match the buffer weight to barrel profile is such limited thinking. By saying that you pretty much sending people down the wrong road in the regards how they should buffer their guns. As evidenced by the OP's first post.
    Says the guy who can't ****ing grasp the fact that this video is about what Colt designed and why they designed it the way they did. Has nothing to do with the civilian world.

Did you even watch the video? I got a strong feeling you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    What about the venerated 6920? Clearly not overgassed but many on this board would recommend using an H2 buffer even though factory spec'd it ships with an H1.
    What people recommend on a forum has absolutely nothing to do with what engineers design and specify for the military.

I feel like I'm talking to a 5y/o who can't understand basic shit.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiz View Post
    Of course they are. You have to increase the buffer weight when you increase the barrel weight. Has nothing to do with gas port size here, altho gas ports do erode pretty damn fast and change the variables too.

Nobody said a 6920 won't run with an H2...

You're kidding right?

There isn't much regular military stuff that applies to SF and you know that already.

OF COURSE they need heavier (what buffer weight did you really mean tho? Not H6 I presume) buffers for the M855A1, that shit is as hot as proof loads and is destroying guns in no time. There was/is a big issue with magazine compatibility too. That's an Army shenanigan problem, not an M4 design problem.
    Its as hot as m855 and runs fine.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Says the guy who can't ****ing grasp the fact that this video is about what Colt designed and why they designed it the way they did. Has nothing to do with the civilian world.

What people recommend on a forum has absolutely nothing to do with what engineers design and specify for the military.

Relax man, we're having a discussion about buffers here. I cant imagine having a conversation about actual AR engineering would be like with you

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Wow........need some decaf.

All information is good information......some is just better than most.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Exactly why he is on my ignore list. Hard to fathom how he’s still around.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Exactly why he is on my ignore list. Hard to fathom how he’s still around.
    So what useful information have YOU posted lately? Oh right, you just post random bullshit in GD and tell everyone how awesome the 416 is.

I love how worked up people get over buffers. Next time you attend a class with any decent carbine instructor please tell him how you matched your buffer to your barrel weight. You might actually contribute something worthwhile aka some laughter for once.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-13-19 at 01:58.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I do not understand what is so difficult to grasp.

Buffer weight as a deadblow device is dictated by barrel mass.
    Weapon function initiation and subsequent action is dictated by gas port size and pressure at the port.

The only way you have interaction between these systems, functionally, is when one is being used to compensate for the other, in which case you're dealing with a sub-optimal system and would be best served by correcting it, but then comes the "but money..." and other reasons that physics don't consult.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    He also stated very clearly civilians in semi mode wouldn’t experience the types of issues he’s talking about.
    ^DING

Everybody wants to think that they're part of the group on the right side of the bell-curve.

The language/info in the video is well couched to provide the context in which its creator is trying to present it. Many of those getting all amped up are pretty clearly taking the info OUT of that context...

...to the point where it almost reads to me as if it were deliberate. Stop that.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Going to a heavier buffer does not slow down intial extraction.

It will not prevent premature unlocking or case head swipe.
    A heavier buffer doesn't do much of anything unless the barrel is so overgassed that it causes a FTFeed.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast