Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My ultimate carry revolver...S&W please hear my prayer

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

My ultimate carry revolver...S&W please hear my prayer

Guys,

As a few of you know, I truly adore my 442 and 642. I actually believe them to be the best handguns for everything but a duel, and you should bring a shotgun to a duel...and instead of that you should get a scoped 308 and shoot for 150 yards.

Anyhooo....S&W please make this

Basically a lock free 642 with the Barrel and sights from the 640 Pro.

Basically it would look like this, but be an aluminum .38.

https://www.google.com/search?q=640+...VuZJY4Fw7PlzDM

Please make this, it would be the ultimate pocket blaster!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So, an aluminum no-lock 640 that's down rated for .38?
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Yes. Basically, a 642 with dovetailed sights.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Yes. Basically, a 642 with dovetailed sights.
    I've been shooting and carrying J Frames for over 30 years. I'd buy a J Frame with dovetail sights and put the others in mothballs in a heartbeat.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does anyone do dovetails on stainless J-frames like that?

Main issue would be removal of anodizing. Would get costly, but could reanodize or another something like NP3 give you enough hardness for it to be good?

Far as what I got involving modifying aluminum was Robar stripping the anodizing on my 642, and prior to doing NP3 Plus, they had to redo the serial number because it faded. Other markings, like the S&W on the side, are vaguely visible after the work. Maybe give them a call... if you look into their price list, they do a hell of a lot of stuff other than refinishing.

Feedback Score
    http://www.dlsports.com/dl_jframe_sw_sights.html

That might get you part of the way there if you wanted to build it yourself.

Feedback Score
    Would this enhanced uber 442 be for the range or for the same kind of close quarters, oh so this is what it's like, gut shooting that the unter 442 is made for?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    It would enhance shoot-ability at every range where sights are used. I run a minimum of 50 rounds per week through my J-frames. I can shoot them fairly well at pretty good distances. The problem with the sights, for me, is that I am getting old and my eyes, which have always sucked, are getting suckier. To me, Even if they machined the things into the frame without dovetails it would be better. They make a version of the 640 with them so we know they have already worked out how to do it. Come on S&W.

To me, an airweight (no need for scandium, they are too damn light) with no lock, dovetailed sights (tritium would be sweet) would be the ultimate .

Preferably they would keep the current barrel length, and just build up a shelf up front to cut the dovetail in. But if they want to do the 640 style barrel that's fine too.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Does anyone do dovetails on stainless J-frames like that?
    Ted Yost.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Counselor, you need to reach out to Ted Yost as Sam mentioned, or to Karl Sokol.

My understanding is that Ted Yost will do it, and regulate the sights to a specific load. That's not a simple or inexpensive process. He did do that for two 3" Model 64's belonging to a friend of mine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast