Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My ultimate carry revolver...S&W please hear my prayer

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    First of all, that gun kicks major ass. The coolness of that gun is bordering on ridiculous.

Secondly, I think a J-frame actually is a good choice for two types of people...people who are going to become expert shooters with it, and people who don't shoot at all. I feel like most people are never going to really shoot that much, if more than once or twice. And the reason a J-frame is a good choice is that it is very simple to operate, but has a heavy trigger that is unlikely to be fired accidentally when sitting on a night stand or carried in a purse. Something like a Glock or even a DA/SA is way too much for these types of people to handle, but it won't do to just tell them they shouldn't have a gun. So, I agree it will likely be unpleasant and discourage them from shooting for fun, but I think the trade-offs are probably worth it for most real people who have a gun and use it like a fire extinguisher. Just my $.002
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    You have a valid point Greg.
    Perhaps “non-gun” types are candidates for a J frame, if just to have a gun with them.

Feedback Score
    There are no-lock 642s out there. One of them is in my safe and it's not real old. Maybe 2-3 years? Anyway that half of what you ask for. But I do agree I'd love to have those 640 sights too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    There are no-lock 642s out there. One of them is in my safe and it's not real old. Maybe 2-3 years? Anyway that half of what you ask for. But I do agree I'd love to have those 640 sights too.
    Yep. Just traded one that I bought new maybe 3 years ago. Didn't shoot it much so I used it as a partial payment on a highway patrolman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    First of all, that gun kicks major ass. The coolness of that gun is bordering on ridiculous.

Secondly, I think a J-frame actually is a good choice for two types of people...people who are going to become expert shooters with it, and people who don't shoot at all. I feel like most people are never going to really shoot that much, if more than once or twice. And the reason a J-frame is a good choice is that it is very simple to operate, but has a heavy trigger that is unlikely to be fired accidentally when sitting on a night stand or carried in a purse. Something like a Glock or even a DA/SA is way too much for these types of people to handle, but it won't do to just tell them they shouldn't have a gun. So, I agree it will likely be unpleasant and discourage them from shooting for fun, but I think the trade-offs are probably worth it for most real people who have a gun and use it like a fire extinguisher. Just my $.002
    Pretty much described my dad. Not a gun guy but wanted my 36 for carry. Told him it was a bad idea for someone who barely ever shoots. His first and only gun was a HK USP 40 which he shot a total of one mag back around 2000/01. I was a hell of a time getting him to the range to prove my point but about 6 years ago he went with me and at 5 yards.... maybe less.....he couldn't hit paper with the 36. He gave up on that until a few months ago he bought a LCP380. Now he occasionally carries that but I still can't get him to go to the range with it!
    Last edited by Arik; 01-19-19 at 00:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Yep. Just traded one that I bought new maybe 3 years ago. Didn't shoot it much so I used it as a partial payment on a highway patrolman
    Funny you should mention that. I just bought a 28-2 myself.

28-2_1.jpg

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    Funny you should mention that. I just bought a 28-2 myself.

28-2_1.jpg
    Yeeeeess. I got one last year, and just love it.

Feedback Score
    Are they still making the 37-2's with the bobbed hammer and no lock? I picked one up a couple years ago and supposedly it was some foreign government over run that they didn't ship out.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Are they still making the 37-2's with the bobbed hammer and no lock? I picked one up a couple years ago and supposedly it was some foreign government over run that they didn't ship out.
    According to the intergoogle, no.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Always found the J frames to be "experts" guns, requiring some dedication to master the (comparatively) crappy double action triggers.
    Hearing the gunshop ninja's recommend one as "the perfect wife's first weapon" chapped my ass; an absolute certain way to kill (a woman's) enthusiasm for shooting IME.

I have been partial to the 2" K frames. Not much can equal a well broken in, or tuned, double action trigger on a K frame.

I bobbed hammer, disabled single action, ground/polished serrations from trigger face and did a double action tune on this old 10-5.
    It gets carried frequently, especially in a Winter coat pocket.

My brother from another mother.....

I completely agree about the difficulty associated with shooting a J-frame, especially an Airweight or Scandium model. They are truly the most difficult to master pistol one can carry.

It's also why I practice with them as much as my carry G19, maybe even more.

I'm gonna send you some info on a really fun revolver shoot we do down here in Texas during late October, I think you would love it! As soon as the dates are solid, I'll send ya the details.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast