Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Move from Trijicon RMR to Holosun HE508T-RD X2

Feedback Score

Move from Trijicon RMR to Holosun HE508T-RD X2

I am looking for input on the Holosun HE508T-RD X2.

Specifically, swapping an RMR for this RDS. Using both reticles for increased speed/accuracy, reliability (concealed carry), and the functionality/usability of the dot (e.g., refresh rate, brightness, clarity, adjustment to different levels of light).

I saw a few reviews on the Holosun with most being positive. It seems to be hardy, reliable, and of good quality. It’s also not expensive. Despite its origin, it might be fun to try something new on my carry Zev, or 1911. Especially since it has the same footprint as the RMR.

The Holosun has a few things I like over the RMR:
    1. Simple battery replacement which is nice but minor given the once a year swap.
    2. The EOTech style red dot which may increase my speed and accuracy a bit.
    3. Titanium frame.

Thoughts?
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have a few of each that I use for different purposes.

I'm using RMR on handguns and the Holosuns piggybacked on top of LPVOs and in that role the battery replacement without having to remove the optic is a big plus for me. I don't mind having to confirm zero on a pistol after swapping a battery since I shoot my pistols often, but getting to a rifle range to rezero is a lot more inconvenient.

The EOTech style reticle can be helpful for speed, but its a little busy/cramped for precision shots. I prefer the single dot on either of them, but the RMR is better in that regard since the auto brightness works better.

The titanium frame isn't really an advantage or disadvantage. The shape of the RMR will give it the edge in durability regardless of the material. I prefer the buttons on the RMR over the ones on the 508t as well.

If you already have RMRs that are working for you, I wouldn't bother swapping them out. If you are looking at picking up optics for new guns and want to save some money the Holosun is a solid choice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You may consider waiting for Holosun to release their new enclosed models which ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶R̶M̶R̶ ̶f̶o̶o̶t̶p̶r̶i̶n̶t̶ use the RMSc/507k footprint, use the bigger buttons, and are supposed to be distortion free. ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶5̶0̶8̶T̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶I̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶w̶a̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶H̶o̶l̶o̶s̶u̶n̶ ̶E̶P̶S̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶h̶t̶.̶

ETA:
    https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/212.html

Last edited by georgeib; 02-06-22 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    You may consider waiting for Holosun to release their new enclosed models which also use the RMR footprint, use the bigger buttons, and are supposed to be distortion free. I have a 508T which I like a lot, but if the new models pan out, I'll be swapping it for the new Holosun EPS sight.

ETA:
    https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/212.html

Those do not use the RMR mounting pattern. They use the same footprint as the 507k, which is similar to the Shield RMSc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Those do not use the RMR mounting pattern. They use the same footprint as the 507k, which is similar to the Shield RMSc.
    AFAIK, from listening to the Holosun rep discuss them on YouTube, the EPS Carry uses the RMSc/507k footprint, whereas the EPS is a bit larger and uses the RMR/507c/508t footprint.

ETA: Looks like there may have been a bit of copy pasta on their website between the info for the EPS and EPS Carry. Not sure which info is correct.

ETA 2: Just listened to another video from Shot, and it appears that you're correct. Both the EPS and EPS carry are set for the RMSc/507k footprint.
    Last edited by georgeib; 02-06-22 at 13:21.

Feedback Score
    Thank you both for the helpful insights!

I will get one, move the RMR to a different sidearm, and see if it’s a good default RDS.

Best—Dan
    Last edited by Dan_B; 02-06-22 at 14:10.
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Yeah, its a bummer. I think the screws are too far forward on the RMR footprint for it to work with the closed emitter. The 507k footprint has the screws set further back so it gives them more space to play with up front.

Feedback Score
    Indeed. I much prefer the closed emitter.

I had the slide of my favorite 1911 milled for an RMR, so I’ll go with the 508T. I am now very curious to try the Holosun on it.
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, its a bummer. I think the screws are too far forward on the RMR footprint for it to work with the closed emitter. The 507k footprint has the screws set further back so it gives them more space to play with up front.
    I think that's exactly right. Dang! I had plans for that thing!

Still thinking I'm going to replace the 507k on my p365xl with the Carry version of the EPS just cause I'm sick of wiping the lint off the inner part of the window.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Removed the thumbnail of the pic
    Last edited by Dan_B; 02-06-22 at 16:34.
    Cheers,

—Dan @ MN

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast