Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Magpul and ETS Glock Magazine Reliability?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yes, some of us who pay for our own ammo used cheap steel cased stuff.

I have found that over time, PMAGs will start to choke horrifically on steel of all brands - rounds will not feed into position in a timely matter (taking up to several seconds to move up into position), which leads to all manner of malfunctions.

I have ETS G19/17 and 24rd mags and these have been very good, but honestly after about 500-1000rds through ETS and PMAGs, I sidelined them and went back to all Glock OEM.

ETS & PMAGs at $15ea made sense when Glock OEMs were $25 (all my PMAGs were had for $12/ea, ETS $14/ea).

But now that I can get 10 OEM G17/19 mags from Brownells for $189.99, plus 10% off = $179.99 or $18/mag for OEMs, there is no way a $15 PMAG is worth it to me.

Adequate for range mags, yes but they lost me for serious use and for ease, I just bought another 10 OEMs and orange baseplates and those are my training mags now.
    If nothing else, the Magpuls and ETS have forced Glock to be a little more competitive with their mag costs. Brownells had a deal around Black Friday for 20% off and free shipping, and I bought a lot of ammo, mags and other parts then....Good company.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    If nothing else, the Magpuls and ETS have forced Glock to be a little more competitive with their mag costs. Brownells had a deal around Black Friday for 20% off and free shipping, and I bought a lot of ammo, mags and other parts then....Good company.
    Agreed. If you can get a 20% off, that is the time to get after it at Brownells.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What about ten-rounders? For those in restricted states, who makes the best 10-round mags. Unfortunately 10-round G17 and G19 OEM mags aren't as reliable as their full capacity counterparts.
    "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    What about ten-rounders? For those in restricted states, who makes the best 10-round mags. Unfortunately 10-round G17 and G19 OEM mags aren't as reliable as their full capacity counterparts.
    Buy a G48 or G43X.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I Glock still making them the way they used to? We used to have officers come through with 10 rounders during the ban and I don't recall any specific problems. We regularly dropped them on concrete during training.

Because of their translucent body, the ETS mags let you see how they decrease capacity to ten, and it looks sketchy to me. You can see where my concern arises by looking at the photos in the link:

https://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-Group-Tr.../glk-17-10.htm

As you can see, rounds are kind of cock-eyed to one another, I'd describe it as going from semi-single stack at the bottom to semi-double stack at the top. It looks from the pictures as if the rounds 'pivot' around a rib in the magazine body. I like ETS mags, all I use in my action pistol Glock, but that 10-rounder is one mag I would have to use under all conditions before I'd trust it.

I do not know how Magpul does theirs, but unlike ETS, they: Utilizes the same double stack feed geometry as the standard capacity PMAG GL9 to ensure feeding and to avoid known reliability issues seen in many competitor products on the market.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-08-19 at 23:45.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I Glock still making them the way they used to? We used to have officers come through with 10 rounders during the ban and I don't recall any specific problems. We regularly dropped them on concrete during training.

Because of their translucent body, the ETS mags let you see how they decrease capacity to ten, and it looks sketchy to me. You can see where my concern arises by looking at the photos in the link:

https://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-Group-Tr.../glk-17-10.htm

As you can see, rounds are kind of cock-eyed to one another, I'd describe it as going from semi-single stack at the bottom to semi-double stack at the top. It looks from the pictures as if the rounds 'pivot' around a rib in the magazine body. I like ETS mags, all I use in my action pistol Glock, but that 10-rounder is one mag I would have to use under all conditions before I'd trust it.

I do not know how Magpul does theirs, but unlike ETS, they: Utilizes the same double stack feed geometry as the standard capacity PMAG GL9 to ensure feeding and to avoid known reliability issues seen in many competitor products on the market.
    26Inf-
    First time I saw the pics, several years ago now...i thought the same thing brother. But, two things: 1. How do we know that aint what they do or look like inside of every other non see-through mags? 2. I own/shoot and use many many of the ETS Glock mags and several of the AR mags, several for years now. I just am not having any trouble with them..other that possibly the springs being very stiff when new. I get a new one, I load it to capacity, usually with difficulty, leave it be until next range trip, and after 2-3 cycles they are easier to load and good to go.
    Let me say this in all honesty- Ive NOT used a 10 round mag, so if that specific mag has issues, I cant legit comment.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Pmag 17rd and 21rd have given me no problems and i've been using them as range mags for however long they have been available for. Drawbacks are they're slighter harder to load and don't have as easy of a loaded round count. If you get them on sale they're worth it for range mags.

ETS are still a no-go for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    Has something changed? I really only used pre 2004 10rds mags in Gen 2 Glocks, but never had a problem when they would only accept 10. When they started accepting 11, slide forward (either initial loading or tac reloads) would result in a malfunction but not recalling any issues with the remaining 10rds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I now have 3 17rnders and 1 21 rnder.

What I've discovered, with these 4 mags, is that they're not 100% reliable with steel case ammo, but ARE 100% reliable with everything else.

This is, it seems, due to the "roughhess", higher friction, on the outside of the steel cases.

3 of those I've decided to use the hell out of as range mags, so my factory mags stay loaded (read preserved).

The 21 rnder is often carried as one the spares, as I do trust it.

I see more of them in my future.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Has something changed? I really only used pre 2004 10rds mags in Gen 2 Glocks, but never had a problem when they would only accept 10. When they started accepting 11, slide forward (either initial loading or tac reloads) would result in a malfunction but not recalling any issues with the remaining 10rds.
    I don't know. I just picked up my first Glock, a G19. But in reading up on my new pistol, all problems with the OEM mags have to do with the neutered versions, not the full capacity ones.
    "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast