Thread: Red Dot/Reflex Sight/Laser for Home Defense Carbine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Red Dot/Reflex Sight/Laser for Home Defense Carbine

"Hello all,

While this question is specifically about the Ruger PC carbine, it can apply to an AR as well. I'm planning on using the PC carbine as my primary home defence weapon. Typically on this kind of weapon, I'd usually mount and red dot. But, I'm thinking that might not be the best choice here. My other 'short range' AR's have an Aimpoint PRO and a Micro T-2. They're great but I think that they would take slightly longer to get on target than something like an RMR or a Vortex Venom. The quickest of all would probably be a light and green laser combo of some sort. Given that the ranges are likely to be very short, and that I have to have a light anyway, I'm leaning in this direction.

I've never had a laser on any of my long guns. I always thought that there was a chance that I'd need to operate them at a range that would make the laser just extra weight. But, with the Ruger, I don't think that would be the case.

Does my line of thought make any sense?

Thanks,

JRC"

I have the Venom (3 moa). and like it well. Unless you have excellent speed and form, I feel it's too small for HD (even 2-eyed). On the other hand, I have a gigantic (imo) Holosun reflex which has both a circle and dot together or as stand-alones. I like circles / rings for close-in, quick acquisition targeting.

I find visible lasers to be beneficial in low-light. No need to get a debate going on it. Either you recognize and appreciate the benefit or you don't. I have a few stand-alone lasers which I like and I have the Streamlight TLR-8 combo. The light is rated at 500 lumen and the laser is the catch-all <5mW. The red laser is as bright as my Crimson Trace CMR-206 which is 5mW. The Crimson Trace firearm also has a Streamight TLR-1 HL @ 800 lumen.

Feedback Score
    I thought that an EOTech's 65 MOA circle would definitely be beneficial. I think that what I really 'want' to do is put a light/laser combo on it and call it a day. But, even just thinking about having a primarily HD rifle with only iron sights is making anxious

I'l probably end up with a Holosun/Romeo and a light/laser. The only problem with that is that the only mounting point for the light is at 6 o'clock and against the sling swivel. The Catalyst Arms hardpoint kit looks pretty good for that though. The PMM replacement forend is the best solution but who knows how long that will take.

JRC

Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    "Hello all,

While this question is specifically about the Ruger PC carbine, it can apply to an AR as well. I'm planning on using the PC carbine as my primary home defence weapon. Typically on this kind of weapon, I'd usually mount and red dot. But, I'm thinking that might not be the best choice here. My other 'short range' AR's have an Aimpoint PRO and a Micro T-2. They're great but I think that they would take slightly longer to get on target than something like an RMR or a Vortex Venom. The quickest of all would probably be a light and green laser combo of some sort. Given that the ranges are likely to be very short, and that I have to have a light anyway, I'm leaning in this direction.

I've never had a laser on any of my long guns. I always thought that there was a chance that I'd need to operate them at a range that would make the laser just extra weight. But, with the Ruger, I don't think that would be the case.

Does my line of thought make any sense?

Thanks,

JRC"

I have the Venom (3 moa). and like it well. Unless you have excellent speed and form, I feel it's too small for HD (even 2-eyed). On the other hand, I have a gigantic (imo) Holosun reflex which has both a circle and dot together or as stand-alones. I like circles / rings for close-in, quick acquisition targeting.

I find visible lasers to be beneficial in low-light. No need to get a debate going on it. Either you recognize and appreciate the benefit or you don't. I have a few stand-alone lasers which I like and I have the Streamlight TLR-8 combo. The light is rated at 500 lumen and the laser is the catch-all <5mW. The red laser is as bright as my Crimson Trace CMR-206 which is 5mW. The Crimson Trace firearm also has a Streamight TLR-1 HL @ 800 lumen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    . The only problem with that is that the only mounting point for the light is at 6 o'clock and against the sling swivel. The Catalyst Arms hardpoint kit looks pretty good for that though. The PMM replacement forend is the best solution but who knows how long that will take.

JRC

Is there any reason you can't use an offset light mount such as the VTAC?

I haven't seen inside the forearm on the Ruger, but most any similar are thick enough to mount a 1913 rail to by drilling 2 holes for the cap screw to pass thru and something to act as a washer on the inside to spread the load...basically think of how Magpuls MOE works.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 01-09-19 at 12:40.