Thread: 3gun rifle build

Feedback Score

3gun rifle build

It's been 1 year in the making, but finally completed my new 3 gun rifle. This was my first full on build. I took my time buying parts on sale, and selecting exactly what I wanted. It came out better than I expected. I still need to invest in a better optic, and will probably opt for the Vortex Viper PST II 1-6x in a Warne mount when funds allow.

The goal was to build a lightweight, soft shooting rifle for 2 gun, 3 gun, and carbine matches. Rifle without optic is 5lb. 11oz, and just shy of 7lb with the crappy Leatherwood CMR in a Burris PEPR mount. Should be similar, if not lighter with the vortex.

Something a little different from what's ussually posted here.

Build list:
    Aero Precision Upper & Lower
    Ergo Enhanced LPK
    Ergo Grip
    Magpul Aluminum Enhanced Trigger Guard
    Efltmann 3gun curved trigger
    Odinworks Zulu 2.0 stock
    JP Silent Captured Buffer (Builders pack with 5 springs
    Brownells Lightweight Nib BCG
    Rainier Arms Midlength Gas tube
    Odinworks 16.1" Ultra Lightweight, .223wylde, Midlength, 1:8twist
    Odwinworks Tuneable .750 gas block
    Odinworks Atlas 5 Adjustable Muzzle Brake
    Aero Precision Atlas S-0ne Mlok 15" Handguard

I only have about 50rounds through it so far. Very soft shooting rifle, with very little muzzle rise. Very easy to keep the center dot on target. Looking forward the upcoming shooting season.

IMG_E0167.jpg

IMG_E0190.jpg

IMG_E0192.jpg

Feedback Score
    Nice. I'm building a similar, though not as cool, upper for my son for 3-gun. How do you balance the buffer system and gas operation?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Nice. I'm building a similar, though not as cool, upper for my son for 3-gun. How do you balance the buffer system and gas operation?
    The idea is to tune the gas system to get the right amount of gas for operation of the bolt, and reduce recoil and muzzle rise. A normal GI carbine is way over gassed, but that overgas leads to a high reliability when the action gets dry or dirty. A Competition built rifle runs on the edge of reliability in the name of recoil control and accuracy.

The tuning can be done with adjustable gas blocks, adjustable BCG, and buffer and spring combos.

I set mine up with a tuneable gas block, a lightweight steel BCG, and the JP Silent Captured Buffer. The buffer system is available with 5 differing buffer springs. With the gas block, I was able to adjust the amount of gas going to the carrier. I ended up having to go down a step in buffer spring to get it to reliably lock back on an empty mag.

There is a couple good videos of the tuning process out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFgDR8TmJcA

It is a little overwhelming, when you start to build one this way. The combination of tuned gas system, buffer system, lightweight BCG, and a good com/muzzle brake gives you a very flat shooting rifle, with 22lr like recoil. This gives better accuracy, and faster split times between shots. I'm by no means an expert, but i did do a lot of research before I completed mine.

Good luck.
    Last edited by landrvrnut22; 02-05-19 at 09:59.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I have an 18inch rifle gas with LMOS (carrier and buffer) and adjustable gas. That is really just one variable-gas.

The silent capture, that seems to add spring and buffer weight as potential variables- though the silent capture I have doesn’t have spare weights to tune it.

My current rifle makes people grin if they have come from just standard reliably-gassed guns, though I’ve never had a misfeed with my JP upper.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Happy with that BCG? Been thinking about snagging one while they are on sale. Nice rifle!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JerDerv View Post
    Happy with that BCG? Been thinking about snagging one while they are on sale. Nice rifle!
    So far, the BCG is high quality, headspace was right on. I have only shot about 200 rounds through the build so far, but functions perfectly. It is hard to beat for the price.