Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Back Pressure Suppressors - Opinions and Recommendations

Feedback Score

Low Back Pressure Suppressors - Opinions and Recommendations

So I’m in the market for a suppressor that will primarily be used on an 5.56 SBR but would also be swapped around.

I have not selected or built the 11.5” upper yet and was contemplating all the components needed to tune it to run suppressed and unsuppressed. Then I started reading about the new OSS suppressors but it seems there isn’t much experience with the new models. I am also reading about the NG2 MAXFLO technology as well as some new more traditional baffle designs claiming reduced back pressure like the Q and SIG models.

I will admit, the idea of a suppressor that gives me good at ear dB reduction and doesn’t need adjustable GBs, bolt carriers, etc to tune it is very appealing. I would love to just run a properly ported barrel with a standard GB so the OSS and NG2 designs are very intriguing.

I’m interested to hear your opinions on this. Is it better to just build a tunable rifle and use a more proven design? Are baffleless suppressors the way of the future? What models do you recommend regardless of technology?
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    So I’m in the market for a suppressor that will primarily be used on an 5.56 SBR but would also be swapped around.

I have not selected or built the 11.5” upper yet and was contemplating all the components needed to tune it to run suppressed and unsuppressed. Then I started reading about the new OSS suppressors but it seems there isn’t much experience with the new models. I am also reading about the NG2 MAXFLO technology as well as some new more traditional baffle designs claiming reduced back pressure like the Q and SIG models.

I will admit, the idea of a suppressor that gives me good at ear dB reduction and doesn’t need adjustable GBs, bolt carriers, etc to tune it is very appealing. I would love to just run a properly ported barrel with a standard GB so the OSS and NG2 designs are very intriguing.

I’m interested to hear your opinions on this. Is it better to just build a tunable rifle and use a more proven design? Are baffleless suppressors the way of the future? What models do you recommend regardless of technology?
    I still think its very hard to beat a surefire RC2 for an 11.5 556 gun. I own several and they all work great on properly ported barrels. I want to try a dead air nomad, Q trashpanda/lefty at some point as well and CSG hyperion cans also are intriguing. I have zero interest in trying the oss and other flow through designs as they are heavy and don't provide very useable muzzle devices for unsuppressed use.

Feedback Score
    I’m more than happy with my socom 556 mini2 on my 11.5”.
    Its quiet at the ear

Dont notice gas unless doing 4-6 shots or more very rapidly, and its still minimal.
    Its a cut down stag 16” with factory gasport (.075” by caliper, so its only ballpark).
    Runs reliably with and without the can. Experience of 1 gun, but I would not consider an adjustable gas block for an 11.5”. Fwiw my 14.5” mid acts the same way, id never put an adjustable on that either.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-08-19 at 14:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    I still think its very hard to beat a surefire RC2 for an 11.5 556 gun. I own several and they all work great on properly ported barrels. I want to try a dead air nomad, Q trashpanda/lefty at some point as well and CSG hyperion cans also are intriguing. I have zero interest in trying the oss and other flow through designs as they are heavy and don't provide very useable muzzle devices for unsuppressed use.
    I had originally looked at the RC2 but the at ear dB numbers posted by Silencer Shop and others were higher than average. At ear dB reduction is very important as I already have tinnitus in both ears. What are you experiencing? How does it compare to others.

I’ll read more on the DeadAir tonight.

Silencer Shop was really pushing the Q suppressors hard the other day on the phone. My first concern is the Cherry Bomb comp which is reportedly very loud and concussive. Also, the “QD” attachment design is a righty righty lefty loose which would require you lock tight or rock setting the comp. Then there are no wrench flats. I like the light weight and the finish but not sure exactly how much lower pressure it is. I know their diameter is wider than most and the lack of a sleeve allows more volume on top of that. But still, the OSS attachment system seems far better and they offer a comp or flash suppressor option.

Granted, I have no real world experience with any of these. I’ve only watched countless YouTube videos and am reading everything I can on the different models. Suppressors seem to be very tribal and there is a lot of useless noise on other forums. Just check out the shit show thread on OSS at TOS. That’s why I’m asking here.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The nice thing about the new OSS cans is there isn’t the ejection port ‘pop’ you hear with a traditional baffle stack, and you don’t have to mess around with different buffers and springs and it’s not as dirty. Also their mounting system is pretty smart so you won’t worry about getting your can stuck on the mount and/or unscrewing your muzzle device if it does.

The RC2 is proven but I feel there’s much better options out there now days. I’d take a Dead Air, Rugged, Q, Griffin, and OSS over a surefire.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 01-08-19 at 15:17.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don’t get wrapped up about at ear dB numbers or numbers in general. These are centerfire rifle cans. They are not hearing safe.

My personal priorities in a can are:
    1. The mount design. Currently SF SOCOM RC, KAC QDC, and DA keymo rule the roost IMO. I also really like the B&T Rotex V mount design, but it’s not (yet) an option for US non-LE/mil/gov/SOT buyers.
    2. Low back pressure. Again, SF, KAC, DA.
    3. The manufacturer. i.e. what’s the probability they will they be around to service the can in 10 years should it need it
    Last edited by JoshNC; 01-09-19 at 19:36.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've been extremely impressed with my SOCOM RC in regards to blowback / gas pressure. With a Gemtech Suppressed Bolt Carrier and RTV charging handle mod, it's a non issue.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    Wondering if anyone has any updated info on the OSS suppressor?

Feedback Score
    254 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Willoj View Post
    I am interested as well. In particular, if anyone is running them on an LMT MWS platform.

Alternatively, I'd be interested in what low back pressure suppressors to look at or to avoid on what may be an over-gassed rifle.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Willoj View Post
    At industry day I had the opportunity to shoot a lot of different cans on multiple hosts, and as far as low blowback the OSS is king. Even on short barrel full auto rifles I had zero gas to the face which says a lot as I’m a lefty. It’s not just a little better, it’s substantially better than a traditional baffle stack can. At the Triarc booth I shot an oss equipped 11.5 next to a dead air 11.5 and the difference was noticeable. Combined with a taper mounting system and LH thread I don’t know if there’s a more advanced suppressor design out there.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast