Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Low Back Pressure Suppressors - Opinions and Recommendations

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Great info Josh.

If un-modified gas systems run 146-148 dB at the ear suppressed and the mechanical noise floor is 116-123 dB,
    what at ear dB numbers are possible using either optimized adjustable gas systems or advanced/flow through suppressors?

Quote Originally Posted by paco ramirez View Post
    Yes, they do and they're all traditional silencers, though usually shooting 5.56 through a 7.62 bore can be expected to drop the ear numbers a bit depending on the silencer. Also some silencers just aren't optimized for supersonic use, like the Trash Panda. The testing was intentionally done with a fixed gas system as a worst case scenario. The ear SPL can be remedied with an adjustable gas block when using a traditional silencer. But like someone else said earlier, PDs won't want to do that.

An AR15 bolt closing on an empty chamber is 122.9dB, closing on an empty mag is 122.8dB, and closing on a live round is 116.6dB as measured by Thunderbeast with a proper meter and correct mic location.

Suppressed Nation will be doing more testing in the future with their Pulse meter, including some "flow bypass" type silencers I'd assume. They're limited by what Hansohn Bros stocks and what they currently own themselves.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Hot on the heals of the last post from SSD, there's this industry event to collab with government research on "Multi-Stage Bypass Technology".

http://soldiersystems.net/2020/03/06...29-april-2020/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am interested to see what may come from this.

Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Hot on the heals of the last post from SSD, there's this industry event to collab with government research on "Multi-Stage Bypass Technology".

ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I'm particularly curious about the 5.56 versions of OSS suppressors. Does anyone have any recent experience with the latest generation of the suppressors? Also looking for detailed information on your setup. Barrel lengths, gas Port size, round count, bcg, buffer, etc

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all.“
    -General James Mattis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post

Want to know what the super duper triple secret GLG-20 classified technology is that they're trying to peddle? Here ya go: https://patentimages.storage.googlea...50101882A1.pdf

It's a waste of time for anyone to pursue and if it was as good as they claim then it wouldn't have taken them almost a decade to do something with it. It's definitely not as impressive as they'd have people think, and CFD is completely useless for designing silencers as they're too complex for even national labs to accurately model.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Great info Josh.

If un-modified gas systems run 146-148 dB at the ear suppressed and the mechanical noise floor is 116-123 dB,
    what at ear dB numbers are possible using either optimized adjustable gas systems or advanced/flow through suppressors?
    Todd Magee at Dead Air did some testing with and adjustable block and a traditional silencer. With the other stuff it's hard to say without a side by side comparison with a known baseline host/silencer/ammo combination.

Quote Originally Posted by mageever on TOS
    AGBs definitely can improve at-ear sound (Potss described this very well).

The bleed-off can be helpful for a couple reasons and can also work against you if you don't know what you're doing. There's a point where bleeding off too much on a short host can cause so much backwash sound that it's louder than the port. Like a piston dump on some systems. SA also makes a very good drop-in piston system. It gives you a huge spread--from very hearing safe to very NOT hearing safe (but with all the gas you need to run the system in adverse conditions).

I believe this is very host dependent, but this is what I measured on my 16" Ballistic Advantage barreled upper.

There are two sweet spots:

1. The first is where you've just limited gas (1 to 2 rotations out). If you take the suppressor off, the action gets too dirty, or you switch to under-powered ammo, then this might not work for you.
    2. The second is where the bleed-off is balanced with the needs of the action. This typically won't get quite as good at-ear results as the option 1, but it really depends on how your weapon is set up (buffer, extension tube length and spring, etc.). Typically this is 7-8 revolutions out. The benefit is that the weapon will typically still run if the suppressor is removed. A short barrel might negate the at-ear goodness if you dial it up too much.

Note there are 4 clicks/rotation. For this study, I shot 1 bullet at each click point. Also note that there's a certain amount of conservation of energy. As the port gets quieter, the muzzle can get louder (the energy has to go somewhere, right?). The bleed-off helps with this effect. Note that this is a game some manufacturers have used to get stupid-low marketing numbers for at-muzzle measurements. A rifle with a huge gas port that unlocks early will give a few dB advantage in such a test. That's for all you dB chasers that get all hot and bothered over a .5 dB difference.

Enjoy....

SA DI GRAPH

Todd Magee
    Dead Air Engineering
    Previously did all design work at CGS Group, 2014-2024.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks for posting here.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Excellent graph!
    This seems to confirm ~146 dB at ear with no gas restriction, but ~136 dB at ear with lots of restriction or bleed off.

That's a 10 dB difference due to gas system adjustment, which is really significant.

Quote Originally Posted by paco ramirez View Post
    Todd Magee at Dead Air did some testing with and adjustable block and a traditional silencer. With the other stuff it's hard to say without a side by side comparison with a known baseline host/silencer/ammo combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Love the info in this thread!
    Thanks all!
    I'm starting my journey into suppressor land land this helps a lot.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I don’t know how to pull videos from Instagram to m4c but here’s a video of me dumping a mag through a HX-QD 556 can on a Triarc 11.5 machine gun. Even as a lefty there’s no gas to the face.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7hd84vJ...d=tcj1iiuand9k

Quote Originally Posted by Willoj View Post
    I'm particularly curious about the 5.56 versions of OSS suppressors. Does anyone have any recent experience with the latest generation of the suppressors? Also looking for detailed information on your setup. Barrel lengths, gas Port size, round count, bcg, buffer, etc

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456