Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Back Pressure Suppressors - Opinions and Recommendations

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I am interested as well. In particular, if anyone is running them on an LMT MWS platform.
    I think there are some really solid choices for suppressors on the market now, and thats a good thing. Ive also noticed that "low back pressure" is a term that gets tossed around a lot more than it was even 2 years ago. Im not an engineer or designer, so Im certain there are a lot of very smart folks who work for suppressor companies - but for us, we kind of ran into the "low back pressure" scale by accident when moving our suppressors around on rifles that had factory adjustable gas systems.

Full Disclosure:
    We are an LE dealer, so we demo and sell most major brands of equipment to agencies. This is important to Keep that in mind, because our only customers (agencies) want to leave equipment stock, want no drama, no mods, no "fixes", and they under NO circumstances want to go back and ask for more money to fix the shit the first pile of money broke. (our sbrs worked great...until we spent money and suppressed them). Private buyers have no issue making changes and adding charging handles, etc to their rifles to get their "perfect" solution...thats just not our focus, and its not our customers.

As to your specific MWS question: There are only 2 suppressors that I will now run on the LMT MWS - OSS and LMT. For 762s, we have 4 MWS rifles (16" and 13.5") in our eval lineup and one 16" Larue - we've used Gemtech, Dead Air, Surefire, and SilencerCo suppressors on all of them and for a time let departments shoot them that way too...now we just keep the OSS on them full time except the LMT on one 16" MWS. The Larue has a factory adjustable gas block - I think It shoots pretty well with the SF RC762, but still the guy who instructs with it will only mount an OSS. He says there's a difference and that he will run his Larue with and OSS on the Unsuppressed setting instead of a Surefire/Dead Air/etc on the rifle in the Suppressed setting - his rifle, and hes a group guy so I defer to him on that.
    Our eval shooters really feel that lower recoil impulse and less shit in their face makes it much easier to keep their target in FOV on their HPV optic when running OSS. I do think the LMT is close, but its quite a bit heavier and only comes in an OTB model so you're more limited for options. last fall we had a metro swat team evaluate equipment for entry teams and patrol rifles, but they weren't in the market for 762 suppressors until they worked some drills with our MWSs with OSS. the MWS 13.5s with OSSs ran quieter and smoother than their current 16" AR10s wearing baffled suppressors. (they have quality rifles with adjustable gas blocks too).

We shoot a lot more 556/223 - probably 20x the number of 556/223 rounds through eval rifles compared to 762/308. Agencies also are running very heavy 556 vs 762 at evals so thats where the bulk of our observations are. the 762 guys are very deliberative in their evals and those take longer because the distances they shoot at demand it.

I like a lot of suppressors - there are solid suppressor manufacturers out there and customers have multiple reasons to choose one over the another (current mounts, redundancy of parts/brands, familiarity, etc). I will definitely watch how the newer KAC and SIG models tackle back pressure this year since that seems to be a major focus of their marketing.
    IF youre talking about the MWS specifically and are open to any brand, I wouldn't run it with anything right now but the OSS. OSS seems to be rolling up mil contracts lately, and for LE that eval all our equipment, OSS has been the choice almost 100% since the new models came out 2 years ago.
    our website sucks (this is a part time gig remember), but we store pics on IG (when we remember) where you can see LE evals and specifically some of the MWS rifles you asked about.
    www.sentinelmn.com
    www.instagram.com/sentinel.mn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    254 (100%)
    And the post above is exactly why I come here to M4C. I have been a member here since 2008. I read a lot, post a little and transact quite a bit in the EE. But the membership, and the information that comes from this site is absolutley top notch.

Thank you zimmer. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I really appreciate the time you spent writing a well thought out response with background and real-world experience and information. The 13.5" MWS is what I will be running with to start, so the feedback on that setup is very helpful.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    And the post above is exactly why I come here to M4C. I have been a member here since 2008. I read a lot, post a little and transact quite a bit in the EE. But the membership, and the information that comes from this site is absolutley top notch.

Thank you zimmer. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I really appreciate the time you spent writing a well thought out response with background and real-world experience and information. The 13.5" MWS is what I will be running with to start, so the feedback on that setup is very helpful.
    What he said!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    I've been extremely impressed with my SOCOM RC in regards to blowback / gas pressure. With a Gemtech Suppressed Bolt Carrier and RTV charging handle mod, it's a non issue.
    With a gemtech adj bcg and silicone mod no can would have issues. Lol

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    With a properly ported bbl any known quality can will be fine. The YHM turbo 2 is hard to beat sub $400. At over twice the price you're not gaining anything with SF other than cool or clone points.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkracka View Post
    With a properly ported bbl any known quality can will be fine. The YHM turbo 2 is hard to beat sub $400. At over twice the price you're not gaining anything with SF other than cool or clone points.
    Not really. Low back pressure makes a discernible difference even with properly ported barrels. YHM may be good, we shall see.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Not really. Low back pressure makes a discernible difference even with properly ported barrels. YHM may be good, we shall see.
    How do you know the SF is lower back pressure, aside from SF marketing? As someone who has a 556 RC(And 7.62 Mini, and 300 SPS) and now a couple Turbo K's on order, SF is behind the game on cans.

Testing shows lower at ear numbers with the Turbos then the RCs. The new Turbo 2's are Inconel Blast baffles, with 17-4 baffles the rest of the way(same as SF). And have the integrated FH on the cap. I'd gladly trade my 556 RC for 2 or 3 Turbos.

They do very well at the ear even compared to the .30 cals.
    Last edited by Blackhalo; 02-29-20 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhalo View Post
    How do you know the SF is lower back pressure, aside from SF marketing? As someone who has a 556 RC(And 7.62 Mini, and 300 SPS) and now a couple Turbo K's on order, SF is behind the game on cans.

Testing shows lower at ear numbers with the Turbos then the RCs. The new Turbo 2's are Inconel Blast baffles, with 17-4 baffles the rest of the way(same as SF). And have the integrated FH on the cap. I'd gladly trade my 556 RC for 2 or 3 Turbos.

They do very well at the ear even compared to the .30 cals.
    My experience is subjective based on several SF SOCOM cans owned by me and friends. SF 762 SOCOM works great on OBR (even when set to unsuppressed), MWS, and KAC SR25 APC.

I’m not interested in watching that video, but the title of best metering can is telling. Chasing dB is typically what leads to high back pressure cans.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 02-29-20 at 12:51.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My experience is subjective based on several SF SOCOM cans owned by me and friends. SF 762 SOCOM works great on OBR (even when set to unsuppressed), MWS, and KAC SR25 APC.

I’m not interested in watching that video, but the title of best metering can is telling. Chasing dB is typically what leads to high back pressure cans.
    And how do you know they are low BP? I own 3 SF SOCOM cans myself, whats your point there?

You want really low back pressure? Flash hiders work great at that. Sound decibels are part of the equation in signature reduction, that's why we run cans.
    Last edited by Blackhalo; 02-29-20 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    On a related tangent, Suppressed Nation makes interesting videos. They did the ones I posted about that tested at ear and muzzle numbers for two Rex cans that were identical except for bore size on two different hosts.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast