Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what, where when how and why would this BCG be used?

Feedback Score

what, where when how and why would this BCG be used?

The JP ULTRA low mass ALUMINUM BCG.

I'm not at all trying to be a smart ass as I have tons of respect for JP.

I am just curious. I realize the whole adj. gas block/dialing everything in etc. in search of minimal felt recoil.
    However, I was surprised to lear a while back that aluminum on aluminum friction can be disastrous at best.
    I figure there is some coating on this BCG. But so darn light.

Another reason I am thrown off is that BAD and BENTWOOD designed the OIP sub 4 lb. which I believe is middy gas yet still went with the full auto M16
    BCG. Yes in titanium however they worked really hard to get that gun to sub 4 lb. and the BCG, although titanium, is a couple ounces at most lighter than a standard mil-spec weight BCG.

Anyway, if anyone feels like shedding light on that, cool. Thank You

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It would be used in competition as one of the components to help reduce recoil.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yes, for competition, but only in conjunction with an adjustable gas block or gas key, as full gas from an unregulated gas block would likely damage the receiver extension end and also would not reduce recoil very much.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Yes, for competition, but only in conjunction with an adjustable gas block or gas key, as full gas from an unregulated gas block would likely damage the receiver extension end and also would not reduce recoil very much.
    Yes, that is correct. It does no good to lighten the BCG without regulating the gas supply. Also, aluminum carriers wear out considerably faster.

Feedback Score
    Less mass, less inertia, and less recoil.

Reliability suffers, but that’s just like all extremes of performance.

God Bless,

Brandon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Less mass, less inertia, and more recoil
    Less mass = more free recoil
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Less mass = more free recoil
    If the overall system yes, like a lighter weight bolt action has more recoil than a heavier one.

A reciprocating carrier though that unlocks after the bullet has left the barrel and cycles? I wouldn’t think so.

I bet bolt bounce becomes more of an issue as the carrier lightens.

God Bless,

Brandon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reduce the mass of any part of a firearm, even the reciprocating mass, reduces the mass of the whole firearm. Reducing the mass of the firearm increases free recoil. Simple physics.

Changing the reciprocating mass, spring rate etc., can change the attack, sustain and fade of the recoil, which is described as felt recoil.

I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Reduce the mass of any part of a firearm, even the reciprocating mass, reduces the mass of the whole firearm. Reducing the mass of the firearm increases free recoil. Simple physics.

Changing the reciprocating mass, spring rate etc., can change the attack, sustain and fade of the recoil, which is described as felt recoil.
    To add:
    You are reducing the overall mass by a very small% but the reciprocating mass by a large %.
    This will lower the force of the impact of the buffer hitting the back of the RE. Lower peak, lower felt recoil as its distributed more evenly over the time it takes to cycle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    To add:
    You are reducing the overall mass by a very small% but the reciprocating mass by a large %.
    This will lower the force of the impact of the buffer hitting the back of the RE. Lower peak, lower felt recoil as its distributed more evenly over the time it takes to cycle.
    Yes. It can make changes the attack, sustain and fade of the felt recoil
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-10-19 at 08:50.

I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast