Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School Me On Plates

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Currently my plate carrier is loaded with 2 AR1000 spall coated plates, around 6 lbs apiece. I taught a carbine class loaded out with it and after about 6 hours my 50+ year old back was not happy. I knew the distributer , so I bought the plates for dirt cheap. But lighter plates are the way to go, and that means more $....
    I'd be interested in seeing somebody test the Highcom* AR1000 plates. Haven't been able to find any info on them.

*Or Chase, which, as far as I can tell, are just rebranded Highcoms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    1) Armor from China= Run away! Run away! You have literally NO guarantee what you're getting.

2) If you have no idea what role the armor is going to fill, or what it needs to do for you, than how can you be looking for armor?

But since this is stateside, your major rifle threats are going to be 5.56 M193/M855, 7.62x39, .308, 7.62x54R (because everyone and their goddamn uncle with a Mosin for their SHTF rifle) and 5.45, probably in that order.
    If whatever plates you want are not gonna stop 193, 855, x39 and .308, IMHO, there's really no point in buying it.

And yes, you want triple curve. Trust me.

After those considerations, it's merely a consideration of the weight and thickness Vs Price ratio. Short answer, the heavier and fatter the plates are, the less they cost, the thinner and lighter you go, the more they cost. Yes, life sucks.

After that, Get a GOOD PC (not some other chinese ripoff), and do NOT overload it. If you need help picking one out, I have owned (or handled/borrowed) most of the major market options, and also have a worm-like physique.

Unfortunately, I assure you this will likely cost you more than the $500 you want to spend.
    I'm not sure why people keep coming up with this number as their "all-in-one" price tag, but you're not the first I've seen ask this same question in the last month alone... I think most folks are spending to much time looking at AR500 or Chicom offbrand "plates+carrier" options and think they can get something better for a similar price point...
    Let me put this in perspective- you're looking at around $2-300 for a decent PC alone, likely $4-500 PER plate minimum, if you want something multicurve with reasonable stopping properties and doesn't weigh 9 lbs each.
    That's just how it is.
    You won't find a better answer. One of the best resources to see options, ratings, prices and weights is here http://bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_...ST.shtml#Rifle

Your best price on ceramic level IV plates will be about $250 then a good plate carrier will run about $250. If you wait until a holiday London Bridge usually has their carriers on sale or you can check out their eBay store and they sometimes have deals.
    http://www.ebaystores.com/legitkit/_...ub=1310758016&

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Granted I don’t have the experience others have but I do have to slightly disagree.

If your ok with the plate carrier not being covered in molle etc etc you can get a quality one from skd pig, first spear, and grey ghost for $90-$120

And if you don’t mind the plates not being tested by nij but being independently tested to compete with their standards then skd tactical has a sub 7lb level 4 stand alone ceramic for $190 per plate

Otherwise you’ll have to pay more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    Hesco Special Threat Standalone at 5.4lb per plate, single curve, and only 0.6" thick. $200 each.

When you can get Hesco armor for those prices, there's no reason to flirt with steel or non-rated, much less Chinese, plates.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Happy camper with Dkx..

Was money but it works.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Honestly... if budget is an issue for you... just skip the plates and spend more on training and ammo.

Shoot faster and more accurately. Plates are heavy and you must train in them to make them work in serious usage. You will not attain the same positions and do what you normally do. There is a learning curve with them. They protect a limited but important part of your body. If you're not going to train with them regularly you're better off without them.

If you are going to get plates, skip the AR500 and make sure you go with quality like the ones mentioned above.

Feedback Score
    Better yet, get running shoes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'd like to add that regardless of what armor you get, you need to be sure that you're in good enough shape to wear it, specifically your lower back. It's extremely easy to twist the wrong way or bend/run during a drill and throw your back out. You're adding a lot of weight to your upper body and expecting it to perform as usual. This is how you pull a muscle or herniate a disc.

I recommend deadlifts and squats to strengthen your core and back muscles.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I'd like to add that there is an ergonomic factor to "thin plates". Once you start to exceed the ~1" mark, you run into extra bulk and decreased range of motion in some cases.

Personally, I'd go thinner with less protection within reason of course.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loxley View Post
    Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up my first armor rig. I'm very budget-oriented for this, so cheaper is better, but without using anything I wouldn't want to trust my life on of course. I'm looking for something as reasonably light weight within budget parameters as possible. Not looking at spending more than $500 on the whole rig. I'm also slender, bust size around 35", so I don't need anything huge, per se.

After all of my research, the firs thought was to go with the AR500 III+ Lightweight. Seems very attractive for the price and seems to have a decent reputation from all of the independent reviews I've seen. If I go that route, I'm truly tied between the Advanced Lightweight Shooter's Cut and the Advanced Shooter's Cut.. but the ALSC does kind of terrify me if it means sacrificing coverage for my lungs, which it looks like it very well should (correct me if I'm wrong). In my research in general, I'm having a really hard time coming across objective and comparative reviews, which is why I'm here now.

I also came across these plates, which are super attractive, although I pause because they're Chinese, but have a couple of good video reviews on YouTube: https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-...roduct-reviews

Thoughts anyone?
    So I was re reading your post and thought to address your concerns with the size of the alcs design.

Pretty standard swimmers I believe 10x12 lvl 4 from skdtac in grey on the bottom with the AR500 alcs plate in black on top.
    There’s not really a big difference in coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast