Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Me On Plates

Feedback Score

Question School Me On Plates

Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up my first armor rig. I'm very budget-oriented for this, so cheaper is better, but without using anything I wouldn't want to trust my life on of course. I'm looking for something as reasonably light weight within budget parameters as possible. Not looking at spending more than $500 on the whole rig. I'm also slender, bust size around 35", so I don't need anything huge, per se.

After all of my research, the firs thought was to go with the AR500 III+ Lightweight. Seems very attractive for the price and seems to have a decent reputation from all of the independent reviews I've seen. If I go that route, I'm truly tied between the Advanced Lightweight Shooter's Cut and the Advanced Shooter's Cut.. but the ALSC does kind of terrify me if it means sacrificing coverage for my lungs, which it looks like it very well should (correct me if I'm wrong). In my research in general, I'm having a really hard time coming across objective and comparative reviews, which is why I'm here now.

I also came across these plates, which are super attractive, although I pause because they're Chinese, but have a couple of good video reviews on YouTube: https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-...roduct-reviews

Thoughts anyone?

Feedback Score
    China armor is an automatic no-go.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    First what I'd ask is what threats are you concerned about stopping and how often will you be wearing the armor?

As far as sizing goes this fitment guide might help you determine the right cut and size for your body.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ical-diagrams)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Hesco armor has some budget options, that’s the cheapest I’d go, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    China armor is an automatic no-go.
    Even if it's Level IV NIJ rated/tested with good reviews? I get the hesitation, but I also don't want to care where something comes from, so long as it's objectively a good product.

Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    First what I'd ask is what threats are you concerned about stopping and how often will you be wearing the armor?
    General SHTF stateside-prep. Nothing in particular, no threats in particular. Nothing I'd wear regularly.
    Last edited by Loxley; 01-09-19 at 23:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Loxley View Post
    General SHTF stateside-prep. Nothing in particular, no threats in particular. Nothing I'd wear regularly.
    I would suggest looking at your plan and seeing why you would want budget armor in such a scenario. Without a good PC, with multicurve, lightweight plates, you're gonna hate being in the armor, which means you won't wear it. Either way, it'll limit mobility, wear you out faster, and make you an overt target usually, for minimal gain for most situations. Your money is probably better spent elsewhere, whether it be magnified optics, water filters, running shoes, etc.

If you must have cheap armor, first note that there is a difference between NIJ certified, and simply being tested to NIJ standards. The former is maintained in a list on the NIJ website, while the latter is you taking the word of the marketing team that the manufacturer did in fact do proper testing.

Next is to note that the NIJ standards are extremely specific. The obvious one is how an NIJ Level 4 plate does not necessarily pass NIJ Level 3 ratings, as NIJ Level 4 does not need to be multihit capable. The other big one is that NIJ Level 3 is concerned only with M80 ball; this in no way means it'll defeat common .223 threats. UHMWPE level 3s are defeated by M855 (or other rounds with steel penetrator cores), while steel level 3s are defeated by M193 (or other high velocity rounds).

Note how the AR500 Level IIII+ only defeats M193 up to 3100 FPS, while the Level III+ Lightweight only to 3000 FPS. M193 out a 16" barrel is generally considered to leave the muzzle at 3100 FPS, while 18" will hit 3200 FPS, and 20" will hit 3300 FPS.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 01-10-19 at 11:03.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    ^^^^^ All of that ^^^^^
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure how pressed steel works, but I think if you look around you'll find better options.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loxley View Post
    Even if it's Level IV NIJ rated/tested with good reviews? I get the hesitation, but I also don't want to care where something comes from, so long as it's objectively a good product.

1) Armor from China= Run away! Run away! You have literally NO guarantee what you're getting.

2) If you have no idea what role the armor is going to fill, or what it needs to do for you, than how can you be looking for armor?

But since this is stateside, your major rifle threats are going to be 5.56 M193/M855, 7.62x39, .308, 7.62x54R (because everyone and their goddamn uncle with a Mosin for their SHTF rifle) and 5.45, probably in that order.
    If whatever plates you want are not gonna stop 193, 855, x39 and .308, IMHO, there's really no point in buying it.

And yes, you want triple curve. Trust me.

After those considerations, it's merely a consideration of the weight and thickness Vs Price ratio. Short answer, the heavier and fatter the plates are, the less they cost, the thinner and lighter you go, the more they cost. Yes, life sucks.

After that, Get a GOOD PC (not some other chinese ripoff), and do NOT overload it. If you need help picking one out, I have owned (or handled/borrowed) most of the major market options, and also have a worm-like physique.

Unfortunately, I assure you this will likely cost you more than the $500 you want to spend.
    I'm not sure why people keep coming up with this number as their "all-in-one" price tag, but you're not the first I've seen ask this same question in the last month alone... I think most folks are spending to much time looking at AR500 or Chicom offbrand "plates+carrier" options and think they can get something better for a similar price point...
    Let me put this in perspective- you're looking at around $2-300 for a decent PC alone, likely $4-500 PER plate minimum, if you want something multicurve with reasonable stopping properties and doesn't weigh 9 lbs each.
    That's just how it is.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 01-10-19 at 23:32.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Currently my plate carrier is loaded with 2 AR1000 spall coated plates, around 6 lbs apiece. I taught a carbine class loaded out with it and after about 6 hours my 50+ year old back was not happy. I knew the distributer , so I bought the plates for dirt cheap. But lighter plates are the way to go, and that means more $....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast