Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing muzzle device without upper vise block, any risk of damage?

Feedback Score

Changing muzzle device without upper vise block, any risk of damage?

I am swapping up a flash hider for a muzzle brake. Watching instruction on YouTube, it looks straight forward. But I only have a lower mag style vise block and no upper vise block. It is necessary to buy one? I was planning to lay the separated upper on it's sides again my work bench and twist it off and swap in muzzle brake

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe you could make some barrel blocks to secure your barrel?

https://modernrifleman.net/2015/03/0...e-device-work/
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by n8vmind View Post
    I am swapping up a flash hider for a muzzle brake. Watching instruction on YouTube, it looks straight forward. But I only have a lower mag style vise block and no upper vise block. It is necessary to buy one? I was planning to lay the separated upper on it's sides again my work bench and twist it off and swap in muzzle brake

If it's almost brand new you might get away with that technique, but if it's got some mileage on it (meaning any substantial carbon build-up) you should stabilize the upper or the barrel. It can be sometimes difficult to break free.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    If it's almost brand new you might get away with that technique, but if it's got some mileage on it (meaning any substantial carbon build-up) you should stabilize the upper or the barrel. It can be sometimes difficult to break free.
    So something like this will work?

https://www.primaryarms.com/guntec-u...ver-vise-block

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So something like this will work?

https://www.primaryarms.com/guntec-u...ver-vise-block

Yeah that will work. Or if you've got a 2 X 4 laying around you could try the clamps that 26 Inf linked to. I've actually used DIY clamps like that. As long as the carbon build-up isn't too bad they can work saving you some bucks. If they don't work then you can get the clam shells.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Does your AR have a front sight block? If so, pad your vise jaws and clamp the front sight base in the vise.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    After some reading online, I think I will invest in a Magpul Bevblock..will probably need it in the future to work on the rifle.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    After some reading online, I think I will invest in a Magpul Bevblock..will probably need it in the future to work on the rifle.

The proper way to remove/install a muzzle device is by holding the barrel as close to the MD as possible. The BevBloc/Reaction rod type tools are best used for removing/installing barrel nuts.

Feedback Score

I couldn't get my device off without using a vice block but it was a couple of years old and carbon locked it on good so it's a decent investment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If I were only going to use it once or twice I could see going with the Bev Block to save a few bucks, but for more frequent use you'd be better served by the Geissele Reaction Rod. The Bev Block is kind of a rickety POS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast