Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help: Can't Get Chamber Face Clean?

Feedback Score

Help: Can't Get Chamber Face Clean?

chamber.jpg

The picture isn't very good, but you can hopefully see what appears to be a ring of carbon buildup on the bevel of the chamber face going into the chamber. I've been using the chamber brush on it over and over with CLP, but I can't seem to get it off for the life of me. It's almost making me wonder if it's a chrome lining bare spot. I've shot about 300 rounds. Any advice?

[Not sure if this should be in GD or Technical]
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 01-09-19 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Shoot more, clean less.

Feedback Score
    Just shoot your gun

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    That pic is not helpful. Either way, you should really not obsess over it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    That pic is not helpful. Either way, you should really not obsess over it.
    I realize the pic sucks. Took it with a potato and can't get a good view of it. Basically it's a ring of carbon buildup on the face of the chamber. I suppose it's not a problem right now but I'm about to put 1k rounds through it this weekend and don't want it to get too built up. Sounds like it's not a big deal though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help: Can't Get Chamber Face Clean?

Lube. Shoot. Repeat.

Read this. Please. It will help you. http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t...ine-filthy-14/

Are you planning on putting your rifle in a safe for years and years without handling it? Then don’t begin to worry about where there is carbon buildup. It is self limiting almost everywhere in the entire system and will simply not change the reliability.

Destroying shit via overzealous cleaning on the other hand? I make no promises.

If you’re dead set on being anal retentive and using a chamber brush, wrap the little copper lug cleaner part in a 12gauge cotton patch. Pump it in a couple of times with a little twist and trust that you’re done...because you are. A long q tip if you are simply medically required to indulge some sort of OCD.

Also, your rifle is fine. You don’t need new barrels, you don’t need to clean it within an inch of its life, and in all likelihood you’re going to **** it up. Shoot it. Lube it. Do that until your bolt breaks or the damn thing key holes and enjoy it as a tool that works in incredibly awful conditions with remarkably low maintenance. You can lube the damn thing with Vaseline and it will run. It isn’t fragile and it isn’t some precise thing that requires dental tools, crazy cleaning gear, or anything else.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 01-09-19 at 20:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    chamber.jpg

The picture isn't very good, but you can hopefully see what appears to be a ring of carbon buildup on the bevel of the chamber face going into the chamber. I've been using the chamber brush on it over and over with CLP, but I can't seem to get it off for the life of me. It's almost making me wonder if it's a chrome lining bare spot. I've shot about 300 rounds. Any advice?

[Not sure if this should be in GD or Technical]
    I think the ring you're talking about will be self limiting. As the bolt closes it will knock excess carbon off.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To answer your question, a steel dental type pick would scrap that off.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    To answer your question, a steel dental type pick would scrap that off.
    You're a bad man- A real bad man
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    It looks like a thin layer of discoloration that won't affect anything. This type of discoloration is normal, and you can expect more of it as you continue to use your rifle. I think you're obsessing over this a bit too much.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 01-09-19 at 22:15.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast