Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help: Can't Get Chamber Face Clean?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I think I ****ed up. Before I even made this thread I was briefly using a brass pick to try to scrape it off, and towards the very back of the chamber I see two tiny little scratches. Can't get a picture where they show up well. Yes I know using steel dental toothpicks and such are a no-no, but I thought that brass wouldn't be able to scratch the chrome. I'll take my idiot hat now.
    You're not an idiot, you're new...we were all new once. I would recommend staying away from any sort of metal picks. Even though brass won't hurt steel, it can hurt anodized aluminum, and I have never found a need to use a metal pick ever on an AR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    You're not an idiot, you're new...we were all new once. I would recommend staying away from any sort of metal picks. Even though brass won't hurt steel, it can hurt anodized aluminum, and I have never found a need to use a metal pick ever on an AR.
    The embarrassing part is that I'm actually not that new. I've lurked on this site since 2008 and this is not my first AR. I just hope that it didn't scratch into the chrome lining, and if it did, I hope that it won't cause malfunctions in the future as I put more rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The embarrassing part is that I'm actually not that new. I've lurked on this site since 2008 and this is not my first AR. I just hope that it didn't scratch into the chrome lining, and if it did, I hope that it won't cause malfunctions in the future as I put more rounds through it.
    This is why we don't let pilots use any tool more complicated than a screwdriver and only with adult supervision. A brass pick isn't going to scratch the steel or the chrome of your barrel. What you're seeing is a brass mark. Like a pencil mark but it's brass instead of graphite.

Stop worrying about it and don't do it again.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-10-19 at 11:45.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    People wonder why I don't fly SWA...

Feedback Score
    scratch.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo once more, but this is the best I could do. The scratches are circled in red. Can't tell from the pic but I see what looks like a tiny little bit of scraped chrome bunched at the bottom of the scratch marks. I had tried with a steel toothpick too for about a split second, so I can't completely be sure that these were from the brass.
    Yes yes pilots should stay away from the mechanical aspects, I know. I don't fly for Southwest btw, I just fly in the southwest.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 01-10-19 at 12:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    scratch.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo once more, but this is the best I could do. The scratches are circled in red. Can't tell from the pic but I see what looks like a tiny little bit of scraped chrome bunched at the bottom of the scratch marks. I had tried with a steel toothpick too for about a split second, so I can't completely be sure that these were from the brass.
    Yes yes pilots should stay away from the mechanical aspects, I know. I don't fly for Southwest btw, I just fly in the southwest.
    Damn, now you have carbon AND brass that you'll have to dremel off!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That will be fine. And that discoloration isn't going to bother a thing. Get any loose stuff out and you are good to go. You might be interested in something like this:

https://otistec.com/blog/how-to-clea...d-ar10-rifles/

https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Technolo.../dp/B00U507EH2

I've never used one, I use brushes and long handle q-tips (don't buy on amazon, the handles snap) and a cotton mop in conjunction with my bore cleaning endeavor - for which I use a Roger's Squeegee System.

Remember these things were made to used and maintained in austere environments. They routinely have to work when fouled with 300 to 400+ rounds fired between cleanings. Knock off the loose stuff, wipe it down, run a patch down the bore and keep it lubed.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To be clear, I have the greatest respect for and thoroughly enjoy working with pilots.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When I clean in that area, the only thing other than an occasional chamber brushing, is q-tips with the flexible shafts to bend for reaching into the barrel extension. Whatever a q-tip can't get, stays.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast