G&R Tactical
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Entry Level PA Hunting Rifle/Caliber Opinions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howl View Post
    Economical means .308.
    Really, this is the best option.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howl View Post
    Economical means .308.
    I would probably vote .308 due to the variety of bullets/loaded ammo *available*, but the ammo cost isn't a major difference versus something like .270 if fmj and Russian ammo aren't part of the mix.

On the *available* part, .308 really still isn't common in my area. The 2 biggies are .30-06 and .270 with 3rd and 4th being .30-30 and, oddly enough considering the parent case, .243. Used to see that selection in country stores fairly often till most became Indian owned, but they just stopped carrying ammo instead of stocking .303 and 7.62x51.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The .308 is never a bad choice, economics aside. There is a huge range of hunting and target projectiles available, more load data than you will ever use, a ton of compatible powder, and a long list of rifle available in the chambering.

The .308 is an inherently accurate cartridge that is suitable for all North American game, with the possible exception of the biggest bears.

I will say that using a long range precision rifle for hunting or a hunting rifle for long range precision is going to require compromise. I personally would favor an accurate hunting rifle like the Tikka with a quality 2.5x10-ish scope as your initial gun.

If you decide you need a purpose built precision gun, you can recoup most of the cost if the Tikka. I also think an accurate hunting rifle would help you sort out what you want in a target gun before you start dropping big coin.

Just my 2 cents...

Andy

Feedback Score
    There was a reason Cooper and his SMEs went with .308 for the Scout Rifle. You can get ammo almost everywhere on the planet and hunt any non-pachyderm.

If you plan on attending a designated marksman school will you use the department’s rifle or bring your own? If I weren’t such a gun whore I’d plan on a complementary set of rifles and optics for work and hunting.

Feedback Score
    OP,

Pardon the necro-post, but I haven’t seen that you’ve made a decision. I have seen a lot of guys show up to LE sniper schools with hunting style rifles and I wouldn’t advise it. The major limiting factor at school is almost always related to inexpensive or improperly installed equipment.

The best sniper rifles aren’t generally a pleasure to carry around the deer or bear woods. Even if you get a lightweight rifle your bases, mounts, and optic should be heavy duty, and, well,... heavy.

I’ve been out of the game since the Tikka’s became popular, but I wouldn’t recommend anything with a light hunting barrel in an application where you will be training all day (barrel being heated to different extents). You could possibly be chasing a zero throughout the day/week, and this is the last thing you want.

Should you buy a hunting rig with a lightweight barrel minimally affected by heat I think you will be glad to have .308. If your agency sends you to school and you use this rifle you will probably appreciate the free match ammo. This is a big deal. Also, if you end up a LE sniper with extra agency ammo you can use it to occasionally train with your hunting rifle. It can be easily justified because duty rifles go in for maintenance periodically and you should have another backup that’s zero’d and ready to get a temporary qualification with .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123