Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight AR build questions

Feedback Score

Lightweight AR build questions

I'm planning on building a lightweight but still somewhat durable and reasonably priced ar. I don't really want to get into the skeletonized bolts and receivers. It will be mainly be used for the range but could be used in self defense if need be. I plan to put a Trijicon MRO on this and maybe a variable 1-6 scope sometime in the distant future. Here are the parts

-Aero Precision upper (No F/A)

-Aero precision complete lower

-Brigand arms Black edge carbon fiber handguard - 12 inch

-BCM Gunfighter mod 0 stock and grip

-Faxon 16 inch pencil barrel

-Nitride gas block and gas tube - Rainier Arms

-Nitride A2 birdcage flash hider

-Rainier arms nitride BCG

-Strike Industries Arch EL extended charging handle

1. Would the gunner profile be a better choice in barrel profile for target shooting and potential competition use? Are these pencil barrels the bees knees? Are over gassed? Or should I get a better barrel like the BRT optimum which is a bit heavier.

2. Is the PWS buffer assembly or Vltor a5 buffer assembly worth the extra cost? The PWS looks cool and shaves an ounce off.

3. Is there a cheaper but just as good option with the BCG? I really like nitride and NP3. I love the how nice the Sionics BCG I have in another upper I built cleans and I read that it has an extractor upgrade. I was looking at Toolcraft and Brownells and I haven't seen any bad reviews on them.

4. Do iron sights mounted on MLOK slots hold zero?

5. are there any other better or lighter options for parts around the same price point?
    Last edited by Skeeter98; 01-14-19 at 01:05.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That handguard seems gimmicky to me...why not look at a BCM or for a better price, the ALGs. I have been very pleased with the ALG unit and it is pretty lightweight yet feels very very sturdy.

I put a Faxon pencil barrel on my wife’s AR. In my experience they start to open up groups into the third magazine.

VLTOR A5.

BCG-Sionics, BCM, Colt, LMT, any of these will do you fine.

Lastly, before you buy parts and put together, I think you need to figure out what you really want this gun for. You mention range, defense, target and competition. Pick a use and build to that. A jack-of-all trades but master of none rifle is just that...not great for a y one thing but can do all things, well, ok...
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    The Main use would be range use. Im not so great of a shot yet so most rifles I pick up with be much more accurate than I'll be. I really don't see myself in being in any defensive situations in the near future but we all have those what if thoughts. competition would be fun though but I might be getting ahead of myself.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    With that in mind, if you do plan on this being a range only gun, I would say the pencil barrel under a BCM rail-I use the KMR and MLOK versions and am pleased. I think these are a bit more universal than the ALG which the wife uses as a “fun gun”.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter98 View Post
    The Main use would be range use. Im not so great of a shot yet so most rifles I pick up with be much more accurate than I'll be. I really don't see myself in being in any defensive situations in the near future but we all have those what if thoughts. competition would be fun though but I might be getting ahead of myself.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Why is the handguard gimmicky? do you think its not durable or will loosen over time? I was thinking alg but then I saw this and its not too pricey and only weighs 6.6 ounces with the hardware. Alg is having a nice sale right now though.

Feedback Score
    I just put a light weight together using a Faxon pencil barrel.

I used a Fostech magnesium upper, Mag Tactical Magnesium lower, UTG Pro M-Lok hand guard, with minimalist stock.

I opted for the Faxon gas block and slim muzzle break, as I was using their barrel. With a PSA premium BCG.

I only have about $550.00 in this rifle, and it shoots very well, with accuracy. Right now it has a cheap red dot on it, as I have not yet decided on an optic yet.
    But it eats every type of ammo I have put through it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Midwest has an ultralight that is 7.9oz installed and i would think more durable than the one listed

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...-ulw12.625.htm

Right to Bear has a decent price on a lightweight BCG if you want to go that route

https://www.righttobear.com/RTB-Comp...p/sbn16-lw.htm Currently out of stock but they replenish frequently

I would say the Gunner profile would be better for choice for shooting groups and competition. Papabear had a thread with some not so good ffeback on their pencil barrel recently. Might want to look into BA Hanson profile .625 barrels as well

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Edge is Brigand's conventional carbon fiber tube.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A buddy of mine has Brigand Arms' Edge 9" handguard on a ultra lightweight SBR. We abused the absolute hell outta that rifle. What we did would give most of y'all a heart attack. It'd say it's good to go. As long as you don't put irons or lasers on it, as we did not do any RTZ testing, just destructive.

Feedback Score
    I built a lightweight Run-n-Gun pistol and used an Aero upper and lower.

I went with a 11.5" fluted BCM barrel. It's on the gassy side for sure and would not lock back at 1st. It runs great now with a heavier Spikes st-3 buffer.

I used a BC 1.0 and a BAD Ti low profile gas block to shave weight off the muzzle end of the gun.

Carbon fiber handguard is a Lyman Tacstar.

The MRO is using a BAD skeleton mount and is holding up well. I might have to use a LPVO scope at the next event though.

It's hard to not throw some v7 Ti parts onto the thing & lighten it up some more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast