Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobil One As a Lube But What Weight?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Sure, just save it and strain it through coffee filters after you change oil. Maybe take apart the oil filter and cut the media into rifle patches. Simplify, simplify.
    Like most people I think he was just going use what was left over from a fresh bottle. But then maybe you were just joking with him.

Feedback Score
    Harley oil...

Sounds eerily similar to "Honda Genuine Oil" that I mysteriously feel compelled to use in my Honda mowers and generators. On the flip side, I've been using Wilson Combat lubricants for the longest time yet never purchased a WC firearm.

Somewhere in the above there's just got to be a hidden answer to the meaning of life...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Like most people I think he was just going use what was left over from a fresh bottle. But then maybe you were just joking with him.
    I was trying to be sarcastic by extending the money saving thing into the realm of ridiculousness.

Although IMO, if you are going to use a synthetic motor oil for a weapon lube it would make sense to me to use an oil that was designed to work with a splash lube system rather than a pressure lube system.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-11-19 at 15:00.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    You only quoted the bottom of that section.
    That's because I quoted this section
    NFPA Hazard ID: Health: 0 Flammability: 1 Reactivity: 0
    HMIS Hazard ID: Health: 0 Flammability: 1 Reactivity: 0
    Even so, the important part to me is in bold below
    HEALTH HAZARDS
    High-pressure injection under skin may cause serious damage. [b]Excessive exposure may result in eye, skin,
    or respiratory irritation[b/]
    because exposure causes irritation to my eyes, skin and respiration.

I included the link so people can read the SDS and decide for themselves if Mobil 1 poses any threats to their health or comfort they should be concerned with. My choice is to avoid using motor oil and/or ATF on my firearms because they cause me irritation.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    My choice is to avoid using motor oil and/or ATF on my firearms because they cause me irritation.
    Yeah, but where would Camel and Marlboro be if folks quit after their first puff because of throat irritation?
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-11-19 at 16:03.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I tried out synthetic motor oil for a short while. It did Ok as a lube. I think it stinks though. IMO there are better and worse options out there. I tried Frog Lube for a while and it worked fine for me. Lately I've been using Fire Clean and it works fine also. When I run out of that I may try Lucas Oil, or maybe Slip2000, or whatever else is on sale that day.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I use Mobile 1. It works for me and it smells quite a bit. When I finish off this bottle, I will move to something else.

Andy

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    How much lube do you use a year?
    A 4oz bottle of slip a year is a lot of lube- i doubt people are using that much for personal use.
    Thats $15/year. Are the financials of this a real factor?
    My thoughts exactly. I don't see a reason not to use a firearm specific lubricant, but that is just me.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    How much lube do you use a year?
    At $82 a quart, I bathe in it.

On a more serious note, I use a bio-oil that is plant based and the amount used a year depends on how much I shoot (as it does with everyone). I have used Mobil 1 in the past with no ill effects to either myself or my firearms. YMMV
    Last edited by wetidlerjr; 01-11-19 at 20:10.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Maybe I should have mentioned I am only considering Mobil One for the rails. I have Machine Gunner's Lube for the bolt, CLP for tiny little parts and have been using Breakfree LP or grease for the rails. I am running out of Breakfree LP, hence the need for a possible replacement.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast