Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobil One As a Lube But What Weight?

Feedback Score

Mobil One As a Lube But What Weight?

Assuming a change to Mobil One as a gun lube, what weight is best for lubing an AR? Every conceivable weight from 0w-20 to 15w- 40 is available. So what is best, thing, thick, in between or does it even matter? Since a quart will last soooooo long, it is better to know going in rather than be stuck with the wrong weight.

Feedback Score
    Dude it’s like $8/quart or so.

Not exactly a big ticket purchase.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Assuming a change to Mobil One as a gun lube, what weight is best for lubing an AR? Every conceivable weight from 0w-20 to 15w- 40 is available. So what is best, thing, thick, in between or does it even matter? Since a quart will last soooooo long, it is better to know going in rather than be stuck with the wrong weight.
    Use the 0w-20. It will work fine.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doc, You do understand that the way the AR works you are likely to be sucking in some atomized drops of the oil, don't you? Why not use one of the excellent purpose built weapon lubes available?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    ...Why not use one of the excellent purpose built weapon lubes available?
    And at $82 a quart, a bargain!

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use the 0W-20. I was surprised to find it on the shelf here. I also use Lucas 5W syntheric fork oil. Both do very well. And I use about whatever else is within reach.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    And at $82 a quart, a bargain!

How much lube do you use a year?
    A 4oz bottle of slip a year is a lot of lube- i doubt people are using that much for personal use.
    Thats $15/year. Are the financials of this a real factor?

Fwiw, I have used 5w30 for a couple years and it worked alright, but suggest a non-toxic purpose built lube.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-11-19 at 07:22.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I’d suggest a non toxic lube. And as much non toxic stuff as possible. Sure mobil 1 is cheap. Non toxic gun lube is spendy. Cancer will bankrupt you.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    And just think, you'll join the over-50 crowd by just "using Mobile One on EVERYTHING".

It makes life so much easier to use the same brand of Oil (but different weights) on EVERYTHING.

Finally the secret to happiness has been found!!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was assuming disposal of the remaining 31.95 ounces if problems arise as being the issue?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast