Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobil One As a Lube But What Weight?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    I’d suggest a non toxic lube. And as much non toxic stuff as possible. Sure mobil 1 is cheap. Non toxic gun lube is spendy. Cancer will bankrupt you.
    Not too bad.

http://freshstartgrowers.com/store/B...allistol#intro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "Oooo that SMELL- cant'cha smell that SMELL"!
    I see yet ANOTHER lube thread coming- Ill just say motor oil stinks, sprays all over face & glasses, and for ME would be the last thing Id use as a lube.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    I’d suggest a non toxic lube. And as much non toxic stuff as possible. Sure mobil 1 is cheap. Non toxic gun lube is spendy. Cancer will bankrupt you.
    Is this toxicity stuff documented somewhere? From what I’ve known about automotive oil is that clean oil is pretty safe but dirty oil isn’t. Therefore, in a rifle, wouldn’t most of the “toxic” stuff be from the gun itself and therefore be carried and vaporized by any oil?

For the record, on ARs I had always used 500 drop red bearing grease on anything that slides and Mobile 1 on anything that spins. I picked that up from somewhere and it worked. I relube during any session of extensive fire (for me a class or course) with Mobile 1. I think it’s heavier stuff, like 20/50 for no real reason. The bolt carrier feels like it’s on ball bearings.

The only other lube I ever used was Geissele trigger lube for that part

I haven’t really been involved in shooting for a few years and have no idea what the new wonder lube is.
    Last edited by OldState; 01-11-19 at 09:31.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    A mechanic once said, any oil is better than no oil. If you want nontoxic use Pam or Crisco cooking spray.

Feedback Score
    I'd say since the bcg doesn't come anywhere near engine temps I'd stick to the 0-20w.

FWIW I tried Mobil 1 for a while, in both an AR and an AK. Performed well but it stains everything, so don't wear that nice shirt to the range. I always looked like I fell in a pile of spare ribs & rotisserie chicken. You can easily tell which range bags carried those rifles too. it's also got a distinctive smell, doesn't bother me but if you're trying to be 'discreet' or 'covert' it's like a fart in church.

I went back to CLP & Ballistol for anything shooting corrosive surplus.

I do still use synthetic auto bearing grease in some applications like AKs but it's not replacing my TW25 either. I clean after every range trip and the cost of cleaning products is pretty insignificant compared to ammo & everything else.

Feedback Score
    So far it is 0w-20 by 3 to nothing. Thanks for the cooking and wardrobe tips.

0w-20 is what I use in my Toyota pickup so this might be easier than I thought.
    Last edited by Dr. Bullseye; 01-11-19 at 11:28.

Feedback Score
    Some guy on "Bob is the Oil Guy" (oil/lube forum for science nerds) concluded that the 20W50 V-Twin Motorcycle variety was the best and hit various performance specs he outlined with science and stuff. I can never find the original thread though.
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    A mechanic once said, any oil is better than no oil. If you want nontoxic use Pam or Crisco cooking spray.
    Are we talking about Fireclean?
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Why in the world are we discussing MOTOR oil as a GUN lube?!

I recommend Slip 2000 EWL.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    And at $82 a quart, a bargain!
    Well, you don't need 6 quarts to do an oil change on your AR, so there is that.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast