Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mobil One As a Lube But What Weight?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazyeach View Post
    I hate myself. That is the only reason for reading this thread. Now I hate myself more for replying.

Just use vagisil. “Drops mic and storms off. “
    Kinda like a train wreck in slow motion. You know it's going to be bad but you cannot stop watching it happen. Here is another good one starting up:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-The-Way-To-Go
    Last edited by flenna; 01-12-19 at 14:30.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    I've tried synthetic oil and it works, the problem is if running them long and hard it can run dry, mix with a little synthetic grease seems to keep it in place.

I like Frog Lube for staying all day and keeping carbon build up down but I worry that it doesn't have anti wear properties as oils and greases.

When I buy Lucas, I get it in Costco size for the same price as what the gun shops sell it for.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I don't use grease but I use gear oil. It has a bit of odor but it seems to sticks well to carriers. That is supposed to be it's bread and butter, sticking to metal in shear. I do cut it with RemOil especially in the winter as gear oil is too heavy when it's cold.

kwg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Break free LP on the bolt, cam pin, lugs, piston rings.

Break free CLP everywhere else.

NEVER grease! Grease collects powder soot and forms abrasive sludge.

Feedback Score
    I purchased my first rifle about 25 years ago. Never owned, shot or even handled a semi-auto rifle before that. Bushmaster included a 1983 version of USMC Technical Manual. Not knowing any better, I figured the USMC knew what they were talking about so I read it. I didn't understand or remember every detail, but it was clear that the USMC thought CLP was the lubricant to use. Since then, I've become far more knowledgeable and sophisticated about such things.

Above sarcasm aside... society has been bombarded by countless $billions in media advertisement for automotive oil products since forever. Additives, dino, synthetic, blends, oil for old engines, new engines, leaky engines, change every 5k or 50k... on and on and on. It's only natural that folks would translate the hype to their firearms. Speaking of, who makes an oil for old leaky ARs?

IMG_5192.jpg
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 01-13-19 at 16:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    I don't use grease but I use gear oil. It has a bit of odor but it seems to sticks well to carriers. That is supposed to be it's bread and butter, sticking to metal in shear. I do cut it with RemOil especially in the winter as gear oil is too heavy when it's cold.

kwg
    I'll bet gear oil works great on the rails. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think it's normal and OK that a lube thread will pop up once in a while. Not everyone has been here forever and read everything. It (lube) is kinda critical and more so on the AR15, but in my experience it's more important that it "be there" that what exactly it is. As I've said before I think few if any lubes are twice as good as another, and that a properly-put-together gun will run on the very best stuff, the second best, the third best, and so on...... on down to Parkay margarine (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ghlight=Parkay see page 5 post # 58). And although Parkay worked for me in the admittedly not-exhaustive test, well, that is one case where just about anything else IS twice as good so I retract that statement :-)

Nothing I've used has really bothered me respiration-wise (other than Parkay stinks on guns) but that is certainly a legit concern for some. As to ecological considerations well and good but for me 8oz of something petro-based, my pref by a not huge margin, lasts me forever so I don't feel like a major polluter.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Break free LP on the bolt, cam pin, lugs, piston rings.

Break free CLP everywhere else.
    I think you've been abducted by the bad gouge crowd, because you are 0.000% here lately.

CLP is awful.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My nose must be fried from using syn motor oil or something. I was cleaning my 3gun AR yesterday and while at it got right close to the syn oil and and took some deep smells, could barely smell it. But I can still smell a cooking steak. My nose must be selective.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A lube thread, a 9mm vs .45 thread, which buffer weight thread, carbine vs midlength thread. Its like the late 2000's all over again! I say we just necro post those old threads back to life to save some time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought a good sized bottle of CLP in 01 or 02. I’m still using it cause I haven’t run out yet. I guess if I’m going to keep up I have to buy smaller bottles.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast