Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first shotgun

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fair price on a used Police 870.... about $200 - $250

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am kind of a shotgun guy, and have a bunch of used 870's. I would definitely stay the hell away from an Express. They are made cheap to sell to Wal-martian's.

If you want a good used 870 Police Magnum, reach out to Mark at Summit Gun Broker. He'll take care of you. I would not pay more than $300 shipped for a used one.

GT Distributer's in Austin and Dallas is also a good source, they get a lot of trade-in guns. I have bought three 870 Police Magnums from them for under $230 apiece. Some cruiser wear from the vehicle racks was evident, but mechanically they were fine. There are a few springs you can buy from Brownells as replacements. Honestly, they are not very hard to wrench on. I'd buy a replacement Wolff magazine spring from Brownell's with your LEO discount, and then test fire them.

Hope that helps.
    Bingo- replace a few springs, including mag spring for only a few bucks, tear down & clean & lube, and you've got yourself a gtg shotty.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Bingo- replace a few springs, including mag spring for only a few bucks, tear down & clean & lube, and you've got yourself a gtg shotty.
    Yup, I think that honestly fixes about 80 percent of malfunctions when buying a used shotgun. I bring a box of parts and spare springs to every shotgun class, along with a set of chamber hones. Express guns have really rough chambers, and the melted hull plastic from cheap ammo does not help.

The big challenge on a range - when a shotgun or lever gun goes down on a line, there's usually no IAD to fix them. It's a trip to a gunsmith or armorer to replace parts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am kind of a shotgun guy, and have a bunch of used 870's.
    Kind of referencing a post above - semi versus pump - what are your preferences?

I also have a bunch of 870's, a couple Wingmaster and the rest are Express.

I freely admit I'm 870 centric because of using them so much in LE training. I hunt and shoot clays with semi's (Browning) and I have a Mossie JMPro I've worked up for 2 or 3 gun.

I honestly don't know what a guy would want to recommend, pump versus semi, for someone just starting out.

Both my boys started out on 870's, both my daughters started out on 21" 20ga Expresses I'd massaged, but like I said I'm 870 centric.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Kind of referencing a post above - semi versus pump - what are your preferences?

I also have a bunch of 870's, a couple Wingmaster and the rest are Express.

I freely admit I'm 870 centric because of using them so much in LE training. I hunt and shoot clays with semi's (Browning) and I have a Mossie JMPro I've worked up for 2 or 3 gun.

I honestly don't know what a guy would want to recommend, pump versus semi, for someone just starting out.

Both my boys started out on 870's, both my daughters started out on 21" 20ga Expresses I'd massaged, but like I said I'm 870 centric.
    As far as 870's are concerned, I really like the Police Magnums. I have four of them. Plus a pair of Wingmasters - one is a 12" SBS, the other a left-handed 18.5". Then an Express that is a testbed shotgun - basically what can you do to an Express to turn it into a Police Magnum? My daughter affectionately calls it the Sow's Ear.

The 870 SBS with the 12" barrel is a load of fun, and a frequent source of merriment with friends.

I have twelve 12-gauge shotguns. Only seven are 870's. The others include:

Beretta 1301 Tactical - my all-time favorite. Poster child for Aimpoint and Aridus Industries.
    Benelli M-2 14" Entry model. Currently in NFA limbo, alas.
    Browning Auto-5 - that is becoming a whippit SBS on a Form 1. 14" barrel and 30" overall. Think Clyde Barrow's shotgun.
    Stoeger SxS coach gun - another project for ban state travels.
    Mossberg 590A1 14" SBS project - uses the Flex system to break down into a laptop bag.
    Mossberg 590A1 18.5" - another project with wood furniture, buffalo leather sling, etc.

For someone just starting out, I'd make the decision based on costs. If you do not have very much money at all, and need to protect yourself or loved one, I would hunt down a used 870 Police Magnum.

If one can afford the higher cost, I'd grab a Beretta 1301 and add the cool Aridus and Aimpoint parts. It is ridiculously fast and reliable.

I think that practice and training is more important than type of shotgun. But you taught shotguns as a cop for years, you already know that stuff.

I do kind of like the 590. We got those when I was on active duty, and I liked how they ran in a jungley type environment. You could rinse them out with water (as long as the Gunny wasn't looking) and they would run. The pair of 590A1's kind of fell into my lap, and I figured "why not?"

I'm not planning on actively teaching shotguns for pay, but have taken a lot of shotgun classes. I'm also doing Tom Givens Shotgun Instructor class this October. I enjoy helping other instructors as an RSO or AI during shotgun classes. Having a bunch of loaners helps a lot. I have seen student shotguns go down in every class. You've likely lost count of how many you have seen go down.

Having said all that, it's an old BCM pencil-barrel 16" middy that sits next to the nightstand here at Rancho Serious on guard duty. It was one of the first ones Paul did, and it's been utterly reliable.

I am not sure if that answered your question. If it did not, please let me know and I will try and explain.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nope, we're good, just wanted your thought as I've read numerous posts where you've talked about shotguns.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have experience with the 887? Or know why it was discontinued? Is it on the same level as the 870 express model?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cb805 View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the 887? Or know why it was discontinued? Is it on the same level as the 870 express model?
    The 887 had a recall for a condition that could result in a stuck firing pin, causing the shotgun to fire as you chambered a round. Shortly after the recall they were discontinued. A lot of internet hate on them plus the fact that it closely resembles the Benelli SuperNova probably helped speed along the process.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Nope, we're good, just wanted your thought as I've read numerous posts where you've talked about shotguns.
    LOL - "Will that wretched man Serious ever stop talking about his scatterguns?? What's next - he's going to show off a blunderbuss?"

I do want a blunderbuss, though......

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm surprised there's so much love for the 870 vs 500/590. I bought an 870 Express mostly before I heard of the recent issues and it was one of the lucky ones that wouldn't function straight from the factory. So far, its the only gun I've ever bought that's been unreliable so I definitely have a bad taste in my mouth for that entire company. But, my surprise is more due to the controls. The more I use it, the more I think that the Mossberg pumps would be far more ergonomic, at least as far as the safety is concerned. I've heard of some other things that sound better too, though I can't remember what (loaded chamber indicator maybe?). I shot clays last weekend with the 870 and had a ton of fun - I actually really like pump guns. But, I was almost ready to order a 590A1 to replace it by the end of the day.

Regarding semis - knowing next to nothing about them, I would've guessed the Benelli M4 would be king for tac style shottys but everyone seems to love the 1301. Serious or anyone else, any reasons why?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast