Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Best" All-Around Optic for your AR?

Feedback Score

The "Best" All-Around Optic for your AR?

I thought I had started a thread like this before, but all I could find were threads on specific optics.

I am at a crossroads.

Every optic I try has advantages and disadvantages as one would expect, but in your opinion is there one military or SHTF grade optic suitable in all situations and that has limitations you can easily live with?

After trying red dots, reflex sights, variables, and a smattering of gimmicks like the C-More sight, I've decided I think the Aimpoint micros or Trijicon MRO's fit the bill.

--Reflex sights, although not battery-powered, have reticle washout issues.
    --Battery powered sights like the Aimpoint have a long enough battery life to overcome the fact that they are not "battery-free"
    --Variables have a lot of utility but tend to be heavy. Let them manufacture a 1-4 variable with Tritium and fiber optic and only weighs as much as an
    Aimpoint micro--and I'M THERE.

I actually emailed Trijicon asking them to make a 1X optic with simple reticle and not needing battery power. They replied back that they don't reveal future product plans, but I found it interesting that the RMR came out a few months later.

So, what say you? What optic do you think has the best overall benefits versus its limitations.

PLEASE BE SPECIFIC.

I start these threads to get specific information. Please don't just say you like sucn-and-such and leave it at that. Please tell us why you love an optic or why others are inadequate.

If you post just to agree with someone, please state that you agree with what particular point they made and don't just post "I like such and such optic too."
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 12-04-18 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    I'll bite. I use 2 setups. One is a vortex uh1 with magnifier, the other is a 1-4 accupoint red triangle. I feel the accupoint is the closest to an ideal do-it-all optic. Eye releif is decent as is eye box, no batteries, relatively light weight. The downsides are that past 400 yards it becomes harder to use as the the post is thick and makes holdovers more difficult compared to scopes with finer bdc/mil/moa lines. The other downside is it's a scope and has eye releif. In comes the uh1 with magnifier. With the uh1 close stuff is much easier especially from odd shooting positions. Add the 3x magnifier and it allows for easier 300 - 400 yard shooting. This also comes at a penalty of battery runtime and weight. I prefer Holo sights for use with magnifiers as they play nice together. I deal with the battery issue by using a rechargable and plugging it in every few weeks. I would grab either honestly if "shtf". If I felt access to power or batteries to be an issue for longer than the uh1 will run realistically with a few spare batteries then there are bigger fish to fry than what optic I have on my carbine.
    Eta. I should proof read before posting.....
    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stank; 12-04-18 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    All things are a compromise. Which you covered well. I personally have a mix of aimpoint micros, Trijocon MROs, variables and ACOGs.

Best all round for every day use for me would be a 1-4 in a lightweight mount. Not extremely heavy but gives me a fairly good range of use. But as I said it is a huge compromise. Heavier than a micro red dot, not as powerful as a more modern 1-8, and not as durable as an ACOG.

Now if we are talking a shtf type scenario than I would choose an ACOG. fixed power which sucks. But no batteries to worry about and is as durable as a tank. Even once the tritium dies you still have the fiber optics for day to day use. And zero electronics to worry about.

If we are just dreaming then yeah I would love an true 1x style ACOG. But nobody has made one that really fits the bill yet.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at this as maybe being the closest we ever get to an ACOG "red dot"?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijico...iflescope.html

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...=TA45-C-400153

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Right now: Razor GEN II HD-E. If they made a 1-4 version that was exactly the same scope but smaller and lighter, I'd say that one. The P4Xi is a solid 1-4 alternative, but definitely not in Razor territory. This is the best all around optic I think, for reasons that are well understood here. The only downsides to it are price and weight, but the glass is super clear, eye box and FOV are awesome, good brightness, durable as hell, etc. Its best all around because it is so good at doing something that no RDS can, at least not by itself and pairing an RDS with magnifier has more cons than the Razor, IMO. If Vortex found some way to make it even lighter and have battery life drastically improve (match Aimpoints maybe?), I don't think anyone would answer this question differently. Plus, and potentially my number one reason for loving LPVOs more than RDS, is that there is still a very usable reticle if the battery dies.

Keep in mind that I have at least one each of Aimpoint, EOTech, and RMR. My T-2 will likely never be replaced on the HD gun because its a dedicated LW build for my wife (and I prefer the eye relief/eye box simplicity of an RDS for her), so obviously the shooter will come into play. I also don't think LPVO for general issue MIL/LEO is a good idea. But best all around optic for a relatively serious shooter - Razor.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “Best” is mission/task oriented. There is no one, best, optic that will excel at CQB and at 600 yds.
    For me;
    0-100 is RD, UNLESS you throw in a partial headshot/hostage scenario.
    100-300/400 is LPV: 1-4
    400-and out is 2-10/12X or similar
    There is overlap with all of above.

I know you asked for “the best”, I don’t have that answer. I think that’s why I have an absurd number of guns.
    I know that at home, in town, I grab a 14.5” gun with MRO if need arises.
    At the ranch I grab one with a 1-4 Accupoint- distances may/will be greater.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I was looking at this as maybe being the closest we ever get to an ACOG "red dot"?

I have one of those on my SCAR16 and don't like it as much as I thought I would. It's a 1.5x so I don't find it as fast as a non-magnified RDS at close range; especially while shooting on the move. Since it's 1.5x, it doesn't provide much additional magnification for target ID. The fiber optic reticle provides good illumination under bright sunlight, but can be hard to see when shooting into bright sunlight from shade. I much prefer having control over a red dot's brightness, even though it uses batteries.

If I had to pick one 'do it all' optic, I'd pick a 1-4 or 1-6 LPVO, because while it's heavier and bulkier, it extends the usable distance of an AR for me because of the ability to identify a target. My eyes are getting older, and a RDS is only good to what I can see with my naked eyes, which is limiting nowadays. I don't like non-battery RDS because of the dependence on ambient lighting conditions, so I'm fine with a LPVO with daylight visible red dot like the P4xi, and etched reticle should the battery run out. An Aimpoint or Eotech is useless without a battery.

Each choice has compromises, but the LPVO with daylight visible red dot like the P4xi checks more boxes for me:
    1. target identification
    2. astigmatism
    3. daylight visible red dot with controllable brightness
    4. etched reticle
    5. extended range over non-magnified RDS
    6. eyepiece (diopter) adjustment to sharpen reticle and dot

Cons are:
    1. bulk and weight
    2. may not be true 1x at very close distances
    3. eye relief is not unlimited

Kyle Defoor recently posted a video on LPVOs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzPlsr5vjaM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After using different issued and privately owned optics, my favorite hands down is the Elcan 1-4x. Excellent "all around" sight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post

Have you considered getting a magnifier and swapping it gun to gun if you want/need magnification?
    Gives you some of the benefits of a low powered variable with an emphasis on 1x shooting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Man oh man, what a can of worms. An ACOG with RDS on top is hard to beat. Very hard to beat, I ran that and loved it. You have to cheek weld the RDS but was never a problem for me. I recently bought a Nightforce 1-8 and feel that its only downside is $$$$. Ive got minimal experience but its awesome. I mean awesome. Its the NXS version vs the ATACR version. The ATACR vs NXS has been beaten to death, so go to optics forum if you want to learn that difference.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-04-18 at 19:39.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast