Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What 30mm AR mount?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I usually go with American Defense but am going to try the Daniel Defense 30MM scope mount out.

Might not be as high speed with QD knobbies and 3" of vertical jump, but at 5.5oz and $140 seems like a potential lightweight winner.

Probably means I can't chuck my rifle off a 100' cliff and expect everything to still be 100% zeroed and rock solid ready, but DD is a solid company and I figure I'll wring it out a bit.
    I like the looks of the DD mount, but I wouldn't choose one over the Aero Precision Ultralights if a light weight, affordable, fixed mount was the criteria. The Aero Precision mounts are ~2oz lighter, lower profile, at least $70 less expensive, have multiple recoil lugs, are robust enough for most people, and come in a wider variety of ring spacing.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 01-16-19 at 08:18.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    I like the looks of the DD mount, but I wouldn't choose one over the Aero Precision Ultralights if a light weight, affordable, fixed mount was the criteria. The Aero Precision mounts are ~2oz lighter, lower profile, at least $70 less expensive, have multiple recoil lugs, are robust enough for most people, and come in a wider variety of ring spacing.

Just my $0.02.
    I don’t remember where but I’ve heard of a few of those failing so I’m not sure that I would, depending on the use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I had one fail. To aero's credit they replaced the mount but I would by no means consider them duty use. Nice for an ultralight build or a hunting rig.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I was looking at the Seekins mount. What's not clear on the DD is whether or not it has a lug?
    https://www.seekinsprecision.com/pro...e-mount-2.html
    I have been very pleased with the Seekins rings and base on my bolt gun, this one is going to be one I look heavily at for sure. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don’t remember where but I’ve heard of a few of those failing so I’m not sure that I would, depending on the use.
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I had one fail. To aero's credit they replaced the mount but I would by no means consider them duty use. Nice for an ultralight build or a hunting rig.
    Interesting. I've had three of them on various rifles for several years and they are by no means babied. Good to know.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Interesting. I've had three of them on various rifles for several years and they are by no means babied. Good to know.
    My issue with Aero mounts is the relatively small amount of contact that the mount has with the rail as opposed to the proven system utilizing 1/2-inch bolts torqued to a specific value (NF, Badger, Geissele, etc.). I would like to hear a description from an engineering/design standpoint that compares the new DD offering with the above-mentioned three mounts.

To add, I have used an Aero mount on a hunting upper but not extensively. Since NF Unimounts weigh less than 5.5 oz., in the 30mm 1.375" configuration at least, I'm comfortable with spending the additional money for peace of mind.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm normally an American Defense mount guy but have started to get a couple of Geissele mounts. However, I wasn't expecting to buy another mount this soon, otherwise I would have followed through in purchasing a Geissele during the black Friday 50% off sale. (kicking myself).

The DD mount is intriguing and I figured it might be worth a shot, since it splits the difference between ADM and Aero in Weight but retains what I believe is a better ring mounting systems than the Aero mount. To me the big question is if it has lugs and such. If it doesn't I might return it unused but if it has a decent recoil lug or lockup, I'll give it a try.

I like most Aero stuff but I think if you drop that mount on it's top where the rings are together, it's done for.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Just not a huge fan on that mount. Lightweight is great, but I think it's too far and I don't like how the rings lock up. Just personal preference.

To me a mount is like a holster, I really don't want the cheapest.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like most Aero stuff but I think if you drop that mount on it's top where the rings are together, it's done for.
    So is your scope, in that case. Let's be realistic... your turrets and ocular housing would be hit first, and a lot harder. Just playing devil's advocate.

To me a mount is like a holster, I really don't want the cheapest.
    I wouldn't suggest anything based on price alone. I'd never heard of failures of any kind until this thread and I've had one on my go-to SBR for a year and a half. That rifle's been beat to shit, along with two other rifles that wear them. A buddy of mine has one as well, and Frank Proctor used them for years... he's actually the one who turned me on to them in the first place. So my sample size is fairly healthy and I don't own any safe queens, with zero issues to report other than they take a little more effort during installation to make sure the scope remains level as you torque the ring screws. As with anything, your mileage may vary. I think the new DD mount looks good too. There are lots of good choices out there. It's hard to go wrong with so many solid options. Use whatever works best for you.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 01-17-19 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, the DD 30MM Scope mount arrived today... it looks great, is finished well, but I just don’t like how it attaches to the rail - no integral lugs, just the two screw shafts as lugs which squeeze the mount together on the rail. Just doens’t exude confidence and the amount of material that clamps is pretty minimal. Sure, it probably works fine but it’s telling that there are literally zero reviews on this product in the year it’s been out.

It’s already RMA’ed and will be on it’s way back tomorrow. Just biting the bullet on a known quantity. Oh well, it was worth the try to see it first hand.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast