Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR closest to an M1 Carbine in weight?

Feedback Score
    I have a Colt 6720 that I had the barrel cut back to 15" and an A2 FH pinned and welded. It has a DD rear sight (the fixed type, not a folder), and it is currently wearing a Magpul SL-K stock and Magpul Slimline HG's. A regular CAR HG weighs about 3.7 ounces less than the Magpul Slimline and a CAR stock weighs about 2 ounces less than the Magpul SL-K, so I could knock off about 5.7 ounces just by changing those two parts.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    If you want to break out your checkbook and spend 2k Faxon has a complete rifle that comes in at 4.95LBS

Carbon Fiber Handguard, pencil barrel, and Lightweight BCG is where most of the weight savings come

https://faxonfirearms.com/fx5500-ultralight-ar15/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    or go completely crazy with this 3.65# model - https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ifle-3-65-lbs/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    or go completely crazy with this 3.65# model - https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ifle-3-65-lbs/

I've handled this thing. It's amazingly light and crazy expensive @ >$3k!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I have a Colt 6720 that I had the barrel cut back to 15" and an A2 FH pinned and welded. snip
    Who did you have cut down your 6720? Any pictures?

I have one I'm going to have cut down and was wondering if there was enough meat left on the barrel for a muzzle device to be shouldered against.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post

I have one I'm going to have cut down and was wondering if there was enough meat left on the barrel for a muzzle device to be shouldered against.
    My buddy is a gunsmith and has a lathe, so we cut one inch off, re-threaded and re-crowned, then drilled a pin hole in an A2 FH and pin/welded it. The "shoulder" you mention isn't necessary; we used a crush washer to index the FH then pin/welded it. Well, there was enough of a "lip" (won't call it a "shoulder" per se) to hold the crush washer in place so it's all good.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post

Give John Thomas a call at Retro Gun Works. He will let you know if this is possible. His prices are really good and some of the cleanest work i have seen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123