Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Revolver noob needs help

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    From what I read, and please correct me if I am wrong:
    You can expect a loss of up to 200FPS in velocity. Recoil, torque, and muzzle flash are significantly increased with the smaller barrel.
    .44 mag has plenty of all that to spare. A rifle barrel helps.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    A charge of 22.8 grains of Alliant 2400 (1000 psi under max) drives a 200 grain Speer Gold Dot to 1335 fps and 792 ft lbs of energy from a 4" barrel.

The same load from a 3" barrel delivers 1160 fps and 600 ft lbs of energy. I plugged in near max charges with Blue Dot, H110, & Accurate3 #9, and did little better than this.

Are there losses? Yes.
    Is there more muzzle flash? Likely.
    The decrease in velocity will decrease recoil, likely to a greater degree than the slight weight reduction of the shorter barrel.

Will a 200 grain .429 cal bullet at 1160 fps take care of 2 legged adversaries. Definitely.

I'm not suggesting that a 3" .44 Mag is a good solution, but it's hardly worth ignoring, especially if it means it'll be carried more (or more comfortably).
    Gotcha, thanks for posting this. This 44 will be carried probably 5 times a year, either on the hip or in a chest rig. I think the extra velocity will be a nice plus.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This is the way I look at it, if I'm packing a 44 mag I'm looking for horse power and want a 4" barrel min but prefer a 5.5"
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I've used the Mountain Gun format for years.
    The 4" "skinny" barrel, in a tanker holster/chest rig is easily carried- and accessible through insulated coveralls/overalls much easier than a hip holster- for Winter hunting.
    I've installed SDM FO FS's on all of mine, in addition to other tweaking.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I've used the Mountain Gun format for years.
    The 4" "skinny" barrel, in a tanker holster/chest rig is easily carried- and accessible through insulated coveralls/overalls much easier than a hip holster- for Winter hunting.
    I've installed SDM FO FS's on all of mine, in addition to other tweaking.

Agreed, I've found chest rigs to be the most convenient method for woods carry- especially since I'm almost always wearing a pack with hip belt while hunting. A good chest rig is comfortable and unobtrusive while keeping the sidearm nearby and accessible at all times.

That Mt. Gun looks great. Herrett stocks?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you're not into handloading, Buffalo Bore makes some very interesting heavy .44 Spl and .44 Mag ammo.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Agreed, I've found chest rigs to be the most convenient method for woods carry- especially since I'm almost always wearing a pack with hip belt while hunting. A good chest rig is comfortable and unobtrusive while keeping the sidearm nearby and accessible at all times.

That Mt. Gun looks great. Herrett stocks?
    Yes sir. Jordan “Troopers”.
    The covered back strap helps with the minimizing recoil beating hell out of the web if my hand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Call me neurotic, I'm guilty. Changed the order to the 4" barrel, seems the internet is not approving of 44 mag snubnose ballistics.
    Revolvers are odd critters, I at one time owned a 4” .357 Ruger Security Six that was 50 fps faster than my 6” Security Six. Cylinder throats, forcing cones, barrels and moon phases affect revolvers. 3” guns are easier to carry (3” 10mm GP100 on my hip as I type) 4” guns are easier to shoot, 5”-6” guns seem like rifles.

Really, my advice is buy what you like, bolt grips and sights on that you like and stick it in a good holster.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 02-17-19 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    Concur entirely with Gunnar'; revos do weird things with a change of configuration.
    Truly sorry that Low Speed' passed on the MG, tho' it was pricey. Loved those things since I saw the pictures in National Geographic of the nutsy Norweigans who skied to the North Pole, and killed a stalking polar bear with one. I'll snag one if a deal ever comes along.
    The brown bear stopper issue is a tough one. We have black bears down at camp (who are usually pretty docile unless you run into a cub situation), but it's worth considering a bear stopper. We also have a bike trail on an abandoned RR grade, so anything we carry really needs to be concealed. The yuppies will get all excited.
    There's also an issue with an abundance of copperheads, so it's necessary to run the gamut from snakeshot to bear discouragers, and maybe 2 legged problems. A 3" M60 or a magnum Centennial 2 1/8" are the current choices. I've an 11oz 340 SC, which is great to carry, but letting a bear chew on you would only hurt a little more than shooting that Smith with magnums.
    But we're in the east; somewhat different problems.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Truly sorry that Low Speed' passed on the MG, tho' it was pricey. Loved those things since I saw the pictures in National Geographic of the nutsy Norweigans who skied to the North Pole, and killed a stalking polar bear with one. I'll snag one if a deal ever comes along.
    Moon
    My one remaining S&W is a .44 Mag Mountain Gun, it is way more accurate and user friendly than it looks on paper. It’s never leaving my stable and it’s one of those guns you should own two of. Nothing here in Appalachia that requires a .44 Mag but you can always load it down.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast