Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver noob needs help

Feedback Score
    You bought a great packing pistol, now get a Hill People chest pack to carry it in and in the Spring head for the woods with your kid, dog and gun.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Okay, back again, with a new and urgent question:

I can, today only, buy an unfired 629-5 Mountain Gun for 1196 plus shipping. I will have to do 60 day layaway.

Or...

I can wait and pick up a new Model 69 or Talo 629 3" for less money.

Should I jump on that Mountain Gun?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post

I can, today only, buy an unfired 629-5 Mountain Gun for 1196 plus shipping. I will have to do 60 day layaway.

Or...

I'd rather have the MG than the other two, 44 mag on an L-frame doesn't give me the warm fuzzies plus you lose a shot and I'd rather have the MG's 4" tube over the Talo's 3", but 12 bills is a pretty steep IMO. Perhaps to a collector for an unfired specimen. I almost pick up a lightly used 629-3 MG gun $750 earlier this month.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post

Or...

I would take a Mt Gun over the other two. If it’s stainless you could probly find one a little cheaper- especially in .44 Mag. The blued models command a premium.

Feedback Score
    I shoot the 69 better than the MG, so I choose the 69. Also, I have a hard time understanding how the MG could command such a high price relative to quality and utility.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by howl View Post
    I shoot the 69 better than the MG, so I choose the 69. Also, I have a hard time understanding how the MG could command such a high price relative to quality and utility.
    I am...fairly recoil sensitive. The 69 seems crazy light for heavy duty loads. BB 180gr loads from my 686 is enough to make me unhappy. But, the 69 also seems like a great little gun. I am conflicted on it for sure.

I have decided not to drop the 1K+ on the MG. I love the idea behind it, but it's just not wise. The hunt continues.

Feedback Score
    10-4. I bought a MG (for less than half that listed above), thinking it would be the perfect carry .44 for me. I did not shoot as well as most other handguns I have tried. This bring me around to people finding different guns and grips more shootable for themselves. If you just want a .44, a 7.5" Redhawk is a heavy, smooth shooter. I wouldn't want to carry one, though.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    10-4. I bought a MG (for less than half that listed above), thinking it would be the perfect carry .44 for me. I did not shoot as well as most other handguns I have tried. This bring me around to people finding different guns and grips more shootable for themselves. If you just want a .44, a 7.5" Redhawk is a heavy, smooth shooter. I wouldn't want to carry one, though.
    No, it's certainly something I'd want to carry. What grips are you sporting on your 69? Being an L Frame, does it fit in 686 holsters?

Feedback Score
    Stock. Yes.

I personally find .44 mag more pleasant to shoot than .357. I enjoy 240gr .44, but my .357 is a .327. Kick does not bother me unless the grip is narrow and does not fit my hand well. The aspects of handgun recoil that bother me are recoil speed and pressure. Other people are different. Really the only way to find out for yourself it to try them.

A 5.5" Redhawk or similar carries crossdraw OK. .44mag loads are lower pressure than .357, not hitting you in the face as harshly.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Stock. Yes.

I personally find .44 mag more pleasant to shoot than .357. I enjoy 240gr .44, but my .357 is a .327. Kick does not bother me unless the grip is narrow and does not fit my hand well. The aspects of handgun recoil that bother me are recoil speed and pressure. Other people are different. Really the only way to find out for yourself it to try them.

A 5.5" Redhawk or similar carries crossdraw OK. .44mag loads are lower pressure than .357, not hitting you in the face as harshly.
    Which barrel length do you recommend on the 69? It would be primarily carried on the hip, but also chest carried. My 4" 686 doesn't feel TOO long, but I wouldn't cry about losing a little bit of velocity to carry better either.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast