Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Revolver noob needs help

Feedback Score
    I like 4", too. That's a good point about going shorter to have a little less recoil.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Which barrel length do you recommend on the 69? It would be primarily carried on the hip, but also chest carried. My 4" 686 doesn't feel TOO long, but I wouldn't cry about losing a little bit of velocity to carry better either.
    Disregard. Misread
    Last edited by Arik; 02-15-19 at 18:16.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Placed a down payment on a 2.75" Model 69. Will be on layaway for a few months. Chose the shorter barrel because I can get the ballistics I want out of 44, vs a shorter 357 barrel.

Feedback Score
    Placed a down payment on a 2.75" Model 69. Will be on layaway for a few months. Chose the shorter barrel because I can get the ballistics I want out of 44, vs a shorter 357 barrel.
    Good choice. You'll like the reduced cylinder diameter / weight vs a 6-shot .44 cylinder.

Get some .44 special ammo for practice and initial zero.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Good choice. You'll like the reduced cylinder diameter / weight vs a 6-shot .44 cylinder.

Get some .44 special ammo for practice and initial zero.
    Call me neurotic, I'm guilty. Changed the order to the 4" barrel, seems the internet is not approving of 44 mag snubnose ballistics.

Feedback Score
    Call me neurotic, I'm guilty. Changed the order to the 4" barrel, seems the internet is not approving of 44 mag snubnose ballistics.
    Sorry to hear that. I think about 3 inches is the sweet spot for a revolver sidearm. (Not for a primary hunting weapon)

I got my gp100 3 in .44 special for the same reasons. The idea is to carry hot Specials in it. (Aka weak .44 mag)

The next time I get out with the Chronograph I'll get some numbers. I'm hoping the Underwood 255 hard cast extra wide meplat SWC give at least 950 fps. 1000 would be nice. If any are under 935 fps I'll be disappointed.

It mostly spins cowboy loads.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-16-19 at 14:35.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I think about 3 inches is the sweet spot for a revolver sidearm. (Not for a primary hunting weapon)

I got my gp100 3 in .44 special for the same reasons. The idea is to carry hot Specials in it. (Aka weak .44 mag)

The next time I get out with the Chronograph I'll get some numbers. I'm hoping the Underwood 255 hard cast extra wide meplat SWC give at least 950 fps. 1000 would be nice. If any are under 935 fps I'll be disappointed.

It mostly spins cowboy loads.
    I'd be curious to know the results of your test when it's completed.

I think the shorter barrel had all the sex appeal, but apparently that 1.5" means a world of difference.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How much velocity/energy has the Internet convinced you is the minimum acceptable level?

I can work up a load in QuickLOAD to see what a 3" can deliver.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    How much velocity/energy has the Internet convinced you is the minimum acceptable level?

I can work up a load in QuickLOAD to see what a 3" can deliver.
    From what I read, and please correct me if I am wrong:
    You can expect a loss of up to 200FPS in velocity. Recoil, torque, and muzzle flash are significantly increased with the smaller barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A charge of 22.8 grains of Alliant 2400 (1000 psi under max) drives a 200 grain Speer Gold Dot to 1335 fps and 792 ft lbs of energy from a 4" barrel.

The same load from a 3" barrel delivers 1160 fps and 600 ft lbs of energy. I plugged in near max charges with Blue Dot, H110, & Accurate3 #9, and did little better than this.

Are there losses? Yes.
    Is there more muzzle flash? Likely.
    The decrease in velocity will decrease recoil, likely to a greater degree than the slight weight reduction of the shorter barrel.

Will a 200 grain .429 cal bullet at 1160 fps take care of 2 legged adversaries. Definitely.

I'm not suggesting that a 3" .44 Mag is a good solution, but it's hardly worth ignoring, especially if it means it'll be carried more (or more comfortably).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast