Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How Important Is Exercise For Weight Loss?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Have an appointment at the end of the month.
    Per prior comments, make sure it's worth it as typical testing borders on useless unless you do some homework and make sure it's a full panel and always ask for a copy of your blood work. Good luck
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not.

I call it the pecan pie rule.

A generous piece of pecan pie has about 500 calories.

If you get on a road bike, and ride it HARD for an hour, you burn about 500 calories. And I'm not talking about puttering around the neighborhood, I'm talking about head down, lungs pumping, hard riding.

It's a lot easier to lose weight by foregoing dessert, than it is to exercise it off.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Not.

If you get on a road bike, and ride it HARD for an hour, you burn about 500 calories. And I'm not talking about puttering around the neighborhood, I'm talking about head down, lungs pumping, hard riding.

It's a lot easier to lose weight by foregoing dessert, than it is to exercise it off.
    Bingo!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Not.

And who has just one?!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Maybe try reverse dieting out of that insanely huge deficit?

Feedback Score
    Gents,
    I’ve been “heavy” for years, 5’10” usually @230#. Working out only makes me hungry, if I downhill one ski day I’ll eat EVERYTHING I can lay hands on for three days. I retired as an LEO desk jockey five years ago, got a desk job at the old department for three more, then totally retired two years ago. I thought getting away from pushing papers and working around my house and property would help with the weight. Wrong! My weight eventually crept up to 249#. Pills for blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol are an evening routine.

Last October I went to a new younger doctor and his advice was to cut way back on carbs, so I’ve been trying to keep it between 50gm and 75gm per day. Started in November and as of the first of February I’ve tapered off at 25# lost. It’s still dropping but not at the same rate. I feel much better and my BP has gone down. I quit eating bread, rice, pastry’s, bagels, I limit potatoes and corn to a fraction of what I was eating. I do eat raw sweet potatoes, rutabagas, carrots, and radishes but they are peeled and sliced so that I’m controlling portions over a couple days instead of eating all that in one meal. I reward myself with a beer a few times a week but I’ve pretty much given up sodas and juices. The majority of meat I eat is venison and chicken. I’ve learned how to eat out with less carb intake.
    Really I’m hoping that at 60 years old this becomes a life changer. My next doctors appointment is in April, Ikm hoping we can get me off some of the medication.
    My wife (the gym rat) is asking that we get pizza tonight to celebrate getting our tax refund, I guess I’ll have to make a “sacrifice”.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 02-21-19 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    Correct nutrition is more important for weight loss that exercising, I know that from my own experience

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post

Last October I went to a new younger doctor and his advice was to cut way back on carbs, so I’ve been trying to keep it between 50gm and 75gm per day. Started in November and as of the first of February I’ve tapered off at 25# lost. It’s still dropping but not at the same rate. I feel much better and my BP has gone down. I quit eating bread, rice, pastry’s, bagels, I limit potatoes and corn to a fraction of what I was eating. I do eat raw sweet potatoes, rutabagas, carrots, and radishes but they are peeled and sliced so that I’m controlling portions over a couple days instead of eating all that in one meal. I reward myself with a beer a few times a week but I’ve pretty much given up sodas and juices. The majority of meat I eat is venison and chicken. I’ve learned how to eat out with less carb intake.
    Really I’m hoping that at 60 years old this becomes a life changer. My next doctors appointment is in April, Ikm hoping we can get me off some of the medication.
    My wife (the gym rat) is asking that we get pizza tonight to celebrate getting our tax refund, I guess I’ll have to make a “sacrifice”.
    Low carb diets have been around since about WWII, commercially popularized by Robert Atkins in the late 60's. The most current iteration of the fad is the ketogenic diet. Those fad diets are effective as a means of short-term weight loss. They are not effective as a means of sustainable, or long-term weight loss, at least...no more effective than dietary counseling aimed toward so-called "healthy eating". In other words, low carbohydrate diets don't do anything to address the actual problem driving obesity....unhealthy lifestyle...eating too much and exercising too little. Without permanent lifestyle change, permanent weight loss won't happen.

Many people want to believe that it's about the food. "McDonalds is bad". It's not. the obesity epidemic in America is about the volume. The problem with fast food isn't the nutritional value of the food, it's that the high-fat/high carbohydrate food that they sell tastes good, so you eat more of it.

I'm not saying that short-term weight loss is bad...it's not. I'm saying that in terms of overall health, the lack of sustainability of fad diets means that their overall effect on a person's health is limited.
    Last edited by Hmac; 04-13-19 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Will, as a believer in the "set-point theory", I think this article provides a nice review for those who can grasp the physiology.

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/3/166

IMHO, the "efficiency" that the authors talk about is the reason why fad diets are ineffective in the long term...there are just too many feedback mechanisms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Will, as a believer in the "set-point theory", I think this article provides a nice review for those who can grasp the physiology.

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/3/166

IMHO, the "efficiency" that the authors talk about is the reason why fad diets are ineffective in the long term...there are just too many feedback mechanisms.
    I will give it a read asap, thanx
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast