Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How Important Is Exercise For Weight Loss?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Three, don't jump around "trying" different diets. Not a one is going to be the magic effective one.
    I would add to this, and say that if you’re not selecting a diet/manner of eating that you want to do for life, make sure you have a better plan on the backside of it than you do now. You don’t want to assume that it took you however many years to put on the weight so it will take that lot to put it on again...because that’s almost guaranteed to not be the case.

I lost 60lbs in about six months, and put it all back on in the next twelve months because my wonder diet didn’t teach me how to eat, it just had one strict rule that if I followed I pretty much lost weight. But it was self control the way an alcoholic has to treat it. As soon as I was back in carb land I gorged myself and exploded.

I think a balanced diet is key, but I would also argue that for most of us, balanced would not be zero carbs, but significantly fewer. It’s much harder to get fat on eggs, chicken, steak, and vegetables galore than it is on sandwiches and pasta.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post

I think a balanced diet is key, but I would also argue that for most of us, balanced would not be zero carbs, but significantly fewer. It’s much harder to get fat on eggs, chicken, steak, and vegetables galore than it is on sandwiches and pasta.
    Right! Which is why I refuse to accept that it's just age, which some people keep telling me.

Feedback Score
    Arik.

I recently faced the same challenge, and after trying to cut back, exercise, and choose healthy meals I was not able to loose any weight. I started to investigate just what is a Keto Diet, and searched a number of Dr.'s youtube channel's... At first it was a little over whelming, but as time went on, I did see a consistency between their findings and the data they would use to explain why it was first good for you and why you would loose weight. It's not an easy fix, just because of so many contributing factors.
    For one example, Salmon is regarded by some as being good for you because of the healthy fatty acids that are in this fish, yet some doctors who have dug a little deeper, discovered that this is the case with " Wild Caught Salmon " , and that farm raised has greatly reduces healthy benefits ( I believe the level's of bad fatty acids were much higher )
    So at face value, the change in diet to take in fewer carbs, no sugar, and good fats, would help your body to transition to start burning fat, hence loos weight.
    So to try and keep this a brief as possible, I started by increasing as many good vitamin rich vegetables as I could find, grass fed and finished beef, chicken, and wild caught fish, no sugar, and very few carbs... avoiding additives, and meats that might have who knows what added to the animals diet... another possible reason people have a hard time loosing weight.
    After a month I lost 15 lbs. and felt 10 years younger, along with improved recovery time during and after my work outs.
    If your interested in doing a little research, you can check out DR. Eric Berg DC on you tube.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Find your TDEE
    Subtract 500-1000
    Track your calories
    Meal prep
    Eat cleanish
    Move around a few times a week by going on a walk, etc
    Wanna lose more? Lift weights 3-4 times a week.

It's simple guys.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The trick is finding a fad diet that is a) safe b) nutritionally sound and c) a set of eating habits that you can sustain for the rest of your life. The Ketogenic diet is popular these days precisely because, in part, it is so complicated. It requires a significant commitment just to understand its various ins and outs. That commitment is what drives its short term success. The reason fad diets like Keto don’t work long term is because permanent lifestyle change is hard and only a small percentage of the US population can sustain those eating habits for the rest of their lives.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Find your TDEE
    Subtract 500-1000
    Track your calories
    Meal prep
    Eat cleanish
    SUSTAIN THAT LIFESTYLE EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
    I added the most important part for you.

It's simple guys.
    I added the reason that it is very far from being simple.

Last edited by Hmac; 02-13-19 at 01:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nevermind found the answer
    Last edited by Arik; 02-13-19 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Find your TDEE
    Subtract 500-1000
    Track your calories
    Meal prep
    Eat cleanish

It's simple guys.
    Been doing that since October. Not one ounce lost.

Ate one meal a day. After work. Chicken, fish, occasional red meat. Salad with no dressing. Some kind of good carb. Walked my dog 30min 3 times a day. Fast walking, slow, minor jog, uphill, downhill. ZEROS results!

Prior to this, 2 years of exercise, cardio and weight. Meal prepping, good clean food. Weighing out portions, counting calories Gained muscle, lost zero weight
    Last edited by Arik; 02-13-19 at 08:39.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    So where is a good calorie counter online?

I don't know what to think about diet or exercise. I mean you have to eat but you don't have to exercise. So if you exercise at lot you will probably be naturally healthy otherwise you wouldn't be able to exercise continually. So let's say you eat, because your have to, pizza, pasta, cheezeburgers, key lime pie. You will probably have to increase your intake but also burn it off and generally be healthy.

If you look at young guys that hike the Applachian Trial, they eat crap and lose weight. Not sure how healthy they look at the end other than legs but that's generally what happens. What I have heard but do not know for sure is the older guys don't lose much or any weight. They also probably have a better diet.

When I was in my mid 30's I ran, biked, martial arts, also worked outdoors a bit like building decks or painting etc.. I was basically on the Pritican diet ( high carb ). I never tried to build up bulk muscle so not sure how that would have gone but I was in good shape. My recovery from exercising was typically just a few minutes and I was ready to go do something else.

About 15 years ago I started lifting weights and was doing pretty good but didn't lose weight. Totally different diet. Had to stop for a variety of reasons. Now I have a bad diet and get almost no exercise... but when I do exercise or say spend a whole day ( 12hrs ) of yard work or such. I feel good. Eating good means for a couple days I feel no different. Now I'm at 165 and would ---love--- to lose 20 pounds but I just can't seem to figure out what to do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How Important Is Exercise For Weight Loss?

Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    So where is a good calorie counter online?

I don't know what to think about diet or exercise. I mean you have to eat but you don't have to exercise. So if you exercise at lot you will probably be naturally healthy otherwise you wouldn't be able to exercise continually. So let's say you eat, because your have to, pizza, pasta, cheezeburgers, key lime pie. You will probably have to increase your intake but also burn it off and generally be healthy.

If you look at young guys that hike the Applachian Trial, they eat crap and lose weight. Not sure how healthy they look at the end other than legs but that's generally what happens. What I have heard but do not know for sure is the older guys don't lose much or any weight. They also probably have a better diet.

When I was in my mid 30's I ran, biked, martial arts, also worked outdoors a bit like building decks or painting etc.. I was basically on the Pritican diet ( high carb ). I never tried to build up bulk muscle so not sure how that would have gone but I was in good shape. My recovery from exercising was typically just a few minutes and I was ready to go do something else.

About 15 years ago I started lifting weights and was doing pretty good but didn't lose weight. Totally different diet. Had to stop for a variety of reasons. Now I have a bad diet and get almost no exercise... but when I do exercise or say spend a whole day ( 12hrs ) of yard work or such. I feel good. Eating good means for a couple days I feel no different. Now I'm at 165 and would ---love--- to lose 20 pounds but I just can't seem to figure out what to do.
    I don’t know about online, but the correct answer is My Fitness Pal on your smartphone. There’s a lot of bad data in it but you can look for the verified counts.

Everyone loses weight on the trail. Hiking 20 miles a day for four months or so has that effect.

The reasons you eat like crap on the trail are that you’re usually broke, and you’re trying to eat the most calorically dense foods you can that you can carry easily.

I made it over a thousand miles on the trail and stopped because of Lyme. Granted it was well over a decade ago.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 02-13-19 at 09:28.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast