Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 139

Thread: How Important Is Exercise For Weight Loss?

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    4,117
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I don't run any more. It just hurts too much for too long (basically no lumbar spine, poor disc composition, and other back pathology
    Thanks, Uncle Sam). I have found other forms of aerobic exercise for the same benefits where I don't hurt after.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Just another filthy undesirable civilian "basement dweller"
    Posts
    3,995
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We're going through the same thing with my mother, two shot knees due to arthritis so she can't run, a bad back that only lets her even *stand* for maybe two minutes and morbid obesity--we're trying to get her down to "surgery weight" but with her only having three hour sessions between cardiac rehab and physical therapy a week, it's slow. Hard to get nutritional support because of the fact that her HMO doesn't even wanna let you talk to a nutritionist unless you agree to schedule surgery for half your guts cut out and even then all they can say is "Mediterranean Diet and eat more fish whether you're allergic to 'em or not"... but we're slowly putting points on the board, two steps forward then one back, a pound or two here and another there.
    You really have to ask why Conservatives have guns? Because Liberals block freeways, burn cities, throw Molotov cocktails, loot, turn over cop cars, and think this behavior is Socially Acceptable.
    --unknown, memed by user "KeepnitReel" at Northwest Firearms

    The NRA: Fighting Democratic Party terrorists with military-style assault weapons since 1871. LIFE MEMBER

    Not employed or sponsored by any manufacturer, distributor or retailer.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Obesity is of the 2000s as AIDS was of the 1980s, only no one seems to realize it.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    8,217
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Obesity is of the 2000s as AIDS was of the 1980s, only no one seems to realize it.
    It's worse than that. Obesity has long surpassed smoking as the most prominent negative contributor to the health of the US population. Only no one seems to realize it.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    78
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry. Took me a bit to get back to this. Things have improved diet wise. I’ve gotten used to just eating less at those sit down meals. And cutting back on the snacks. My wife has kind of acquiesced to the idea that I can just eat a few bites and then just focus on feeding the baby. It’s a slow conversion. But I’m trying to make it permanent.

    And I’m with you in the 800 and 1200 repeats. That’s the best way I’ve found to really improve pace and endurance. The long weekend runs are part of my “alone time.” My usual week consists of an interval day, a tempo day and a long day. Plus two extra short slow runs after a bike day. Signing up for races is what keeps me consistent and motivated. My next 70.3 is the end of September in Augusta and I’m hoping to seriously redeem myself from Virginia...

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15,857
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Obesity is of the 2000s as AIDS was of the 1980s, only no one seems to realize it.
    It's well understood within the public health sectors and such, but the public does not care, vs not realize it per se. And there's some trying their best to have people accept obesity as normal and healthy. It may be "normal" today by the shear numbers, but it sure as chit is not healthy.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-28-19 at 07:18.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  7. #77
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    8,217
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    It's well understood within the public health sectors and such, but the public does not care, vs not realize it per se. And there's some trying their best to have people accept obesity as normal and healthy. It may be "normal" today by the shear numbers, but it sure as chit is not healthy.
    There are still people who smoke, for chrissakes.

    Obesity is a very complex and misunderstood disease. Relative to your statement above, most people look down their nose and think that the solution is as simple as... "just push yourself away from the table, fatass".

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15,857
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    There are still people who smoke, for chrissakes.

    Obesity is a very complex and misunderstood disease. Relative to your statement above, most people look down their nose and think that the solution is as simple as... "just push yourself away from the table, fatass".
    Precisely! No one is not aware of the dangers of smoking at this point, yet millions still do it. My mothers generation at least had an excuse of sorts as they didn't know how bad it was, and they were being told dangers were overblown, etc. My mother would say she would have never started had she known of the dangers. She died of smoking related cancer at 58, one week before 9-11.

    People are now being sent mixed messages too now, when you see crap like this, it's easy to see how some will fool themselves into thinking it's acceptable.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    The Sticks, TN
    Posts
    2,717
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    It's well understood within the public health sectors and such, but the public does not care, vs not realize it per se. And there's some trying their best to have people accept obesity as normal and healthy. It may be "normal" today by the shear numbers, but it sure as chit is not healthy.
    It just goes along with today's social norms that everyone is a winner, even the losers. The term "fat shaming" wasn't even a term until a few years ago. Now it's mainstream, everyone is perfectly healthy regardless of their weight as long as they are comfortable being obese. Heck, even Sports Illustrated has an obese cover model that you better not say anything about or you are a hater and a (fill in the blank) phobe. I got made fun of in junior high school for begin fat. Well, I decided I didn't like it so I started eating right and working out. And that healthy lifestyle has stuck with me ever since.
    Psalm 34:19

    To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

  10. #80
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
    Sorry. Took me a bit to get back to this. Things have improved diet wise. I’ve gotten used to just eating less at those sit down meals. And cutting back on the snacks. My wife has kind of acquiesced to the idea that I can just eat a few bites and then just focus on feeding the baby. It’s a slow conversion. But I’m trying to make it permanent.

    And I’m with you in the 800 and 1200 repeats. That’s the best way I’ve found to really improve pace and endurance. The long weekend runs are part of my “alone time.” My usual week consists of an interval day, a tempo day and a long day. Plus two extra short slow runs after a bike day. Signing up for races is what keeps me consistent and motivated. My next 70.3 is the end of September in Augusta and I’m hoping to seriously redeem myself from Virginia...
    You should look into "Run Less Run Faster" if you enjoy that type of training.

    On feeding kids, they don't know anything except what you tell them and what you demonstrate. And, man do they pay attention. Set them up for success.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •