View Poll Results: What Sights Are Best For Moving Targets?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Irons

1 6.67%
  • Red Dot

13 86.67%
  • Variable Powered Optic

0 0%
  • Other, Specify

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Sights Are Best For Moving Targets?

Feedback Score

What Sights Are Best For Moving Targets?

I am a self-defense, SHTF type shooter. In looking at low power, variable optics, 1-6X or 1-8X, somehow this video popped up. This is Barry Dueck, former USMC, who says at 1:06 minutes into this video, he can hit moving targets better with his offset A2 style irons than the big optic.

2.5 minute video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmItUbFZCE

For me, I am far more apt to encounter some robbery or home invasion at close quarters than lead a target in a scope with hash marks. Most likely they will have pistols. Guys with pistols run and gun, so they are always moving.

So what is best for close quarters, 75 yards in in, on a moving target? Irons, Red Dot, Variable Powered Optic? Vote and say why.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    For no more then 75yrds, I would definitely go with a red dot. It is the most forgiving when it comes to unconventional shooting positions. Small and lightweight.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I vote Red Dot.

Given the scenario you’re starting to paint, I find it easier to track moving targets, or track targets while I am moving, with a true 1x optic and as simple a reticle as possible. This assumes three factors:
    1. Self defense range, as you mentioned. The farther out I am, the more comfortable I am with a traditional reticle at a relatively low magnification.
    2. Position. With magnification, I have to be more cognizant of my own movement as well. If I’m standing or kneeling unsupported, that, for me, lends itself to lower magnification or a red dot. This also allows you more/better fields of view, as well as some wiggle room for eye relief/eye box.
    3. Standard of accuracy. Is the red dot, and your training, up to the accuracy demands that you or the situation demand? While plenty of people can outshoot a 2 MOA dot, fewer can do it under stress, in a fluid environment, consistently. Is target/threat identification a factor at the range at which you expect to engage? What’s the penalty for missing (dirt? A wall? A person?), and what’s the trade off between accuracy and speed?

For me, these factors compete and pair with each other in a constantly changing riddle that only you have the answer to. From what it sounds like, a red dot might be the ticket. I can see why Mr. Dueck prefers irons though.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I am a self-defense, SHTF type shooter. In looking at low power, variable optics, 1-6X or 1-8X, somehow this video popped up. This is Barry Dueck, former USMC, who says at 1:06 minutes into this video, he can hit moving targets better with his offset A2 style irons than the big optic.

2.5 minute video

For me, I am far more apt to encounter some robbery or home invasion at close quarters than lead a target in a scope with hash marks. Most likely they will have pistols. Guys with pistols run and gun, so they are always moving.

So what is best for close quarters, 75 yards in in, on a moving target? Irons, Red Dot, Variable Powered Optic? Vote and say why.
    The reason for this is he probably doesn’t have his optic on 1x magnification which reduces his field of view. It’s quicker to cant his rifle than adjust his optic. The iron sights are also a product he manufactures and sells so he might have a vested interest in praising this setup. So for the situation you’re laying out, I feel the RDS would be at the top of the list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    The reason for this is he probably doesn’t have his optic on 1x magnification which reduces his field of view. It’s quicker to cant his rifle than adjust his optic. The iron sights are also a product he manufactures and sells so he might have a vested interest in praising this setup. So for the situation you’re laying out, I feel the RDS would be at the top of the list.
    That is exactly what he says-- he kept his optic was on full power.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’m a former Hi-Master NRA Action Pistol shooter.
    The “Mover” was possible to clean with a Red Dot, never saw it done with irons in a match.

The (very) obvious advantage is the ability to look at the target/threat while superimposing the dot on target.

Forgot to add; a red DOT with virtual unlimited field of view and a single plane to be concerned with, is ideal for leading a target. It's lightweight is a definite plus for speed of acquisition.
    A 1X optic is a close second.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-12-19 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is exactly what he says-- he kept his optic was on full power.
    I didn’t watch the video but I could see his setup in the image.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

2.5 minute video

Red dot. Both eyes open field of view is great.

You need to get an idea of leads, and remember, the bad guy may not run a predictable route

With rifle ammo at 75 yards your round will be there in around 8 hundredths of a second. So Usain Bolt would have moved less than 3 feet full lead.

With rifle ammo at 25 yards that time drops to less than 3 hundredths of a second. Usain Bolt has moved less than a foot.

Obviously, at common HD distances, the important thing is being able to track your target without losing SA of your surroundings. With a rifle inside 15 yards, pretty much poa equals poi as long as you do your part.

Red dots allow you to do this far better than irons or scopes.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just a thought, the real issue is practicing. Our mover was rheostat controlled enabling us to vary speeds, there are not very many running around in the wild, generally found at training ranges, police academies, or action pistol bays. The action pistol movers, which cover 50 foot in 5 seconds, and are generally set for that speed only. They are actually too fast, almost 15mph, for realistic practice.

Plus most movers wont allow you to safely get at extreme angles to practice targets moving in and moving out.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For shooting fast moving targets, a good quality optic beats iron sights, including ghost ring aperture sights. With iron sights, the shooter has to line up three things- the front sight, the rear sight and the target. With a magnified optic or a 0x RDS, the shooter only has to line up the reticle with the target. Regardless of which type of sight used, shooting at fast movers is where having good form really pays off. A shooter has to be able to snap their rifle to their shoulder and have the sights line up on the target right where they want them to, consistently. With good form, a magnified optic isn't a handicap, especially if it's 2.5x or less. I've used a fixed 4x successfully on fast moving rabbits.

With practice, iron sights can be almost as fast as optics, but it takes greater concentration. Form and presentation is more critical. Get it down with iron sights and form and presentation with optics becomes a breeze.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast