Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 9mm The Way To Go?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Please provide link demonstrating a fmj test through autoglass and then gel please.

Its the crushed tissue that is of significance with pistol rounds.
    Higher velocity and surface area creates a larger temp cavity, which matters with rifle rounds.

“Dumping energy” is a byproduct of crushing tissue, not a direct wounding machanism with pistol rounds. Semantics, but I think its worth being clear to communicate it properly... IMO.
    Just do a search on YouTube. Look up iraqvereran8888. He tests a solid copper round (which is the one I carry) vs various hollow points. They do make it through the glass. The hollow points actually behave just like FMJ's and plug up and pass right through the block.

I don't understand your insinuation. Is it that you think copper plated lead won't penetrate? Even .380's penetrate Auto Glass. A hollow point is a hollowed out FMJ. Lead is still used.
    Last edited by wtm75; 01-15-19 at 16:08.

Feedback Score
    The Miami FBI shootout was a failure of penetration, not expansion.
    Not this again...

The Miami Shootout was a failure of preparation, mindset and tactics, not expansion nor penetration.

The hard truth is that the Winchester 9mm Silvertip was no better or worse a bullet than anything else on the market in 1986 except for some .357 loads, which the FBI forbade their agents from carrying in their .357 Magnum duty revolvers. Making the performance of the Winchester Silvertip an factor in this fiasco was purely political. The FBI has a long history of blaming equipment for human error and having this many agents killed and injured in one gunfight meant a scapegoat was necessary to take the microscope off the 'infallible' FBI.
    Last edited by jaholder; 01-15-19 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Guess what? Previous warnings failed to penetrate someone's brain. Now they are gone.

Gosh, I guess that was either an effective round, or terrific shot placement. I wonder which?

Can we not have the same bitchy arguments from the same people over and over? A polite discussion is fine. But if you pick a hill to die on, make sure it's a hill and not an ant mound like this one.

Feedback Score
    I have always carried a 9 and always will. So does my wife. I prefer it because it’s cheap and the recoil is light. There is a ton of ammo for 9mm too. I carry either a glock 19X, 26 or 17 Vickers. Wife carries a 43 with TT +2 extensions. My favorite is the 19X. To me it’s the best pistol glock has ever made. I can carry 56 rounds very comfortably. I know some people hate on the 9 but I think they are the type that carries a .45 because they think it makes them tough somehow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredkrueger100 View Post
    I know some people hate on the 9 but I think they are the type that carries a .45 because they think it makes them tough somehow.
    I sometimes carry a Beretta Cheetah .32.

I guess you think carrying a 9mm makes you some kind of tough guy...

Really though these are pistols. My favorite pistols currently are my S&W 2.0 M&P .45 full-size, S&W M&P 2.0 .45 Sheild, and a Beretta M81FS .32 acp. All have been reliable and accurate and do get carried.

Lately I've been eschewing mid-sized pistols and calibers. I even sold my low-quality 9mm ammo to friends.

The point is use whatever you like.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "The .357 is a good weapon but I've seen .38s careen off windshields."

- Detective Harry Callahan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The point is use whatever you like.
    I think the ending of that sentence needs to be “and know its limitations”.

I simply cannot get on board with carrying a round that pretty much has no chance of reliable expansion and penetration. As previously stated, you kind of have to pick one or the other with calibers smaller than 9mm.

It is what it is.
    Last edited by TheTick; 01-26-19 at 20:58. Reason: because auto-correct is the bane of my existence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    I think the ending of that sentence needs to be “and know its limitations”.

Fair enough.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think the caliber wars are just plain dumb. Carry what you like and shoots the best and not what others think. I know that I keep scrolling past anyone who champions one sole caliber over all the rest. I carry either a 10, 9, .380, or a .45 and don't care what others think about it because life is just too short to worry about petty semantics. Know your gun, train with it, and select a vetted projectile for it and you'll be G to G.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FightinQ View Post
    I think the caliber wars are just plain dumb. Carry what you like and shoots the best and not what others think. I know that I keep scrolling past anyone who champions one sole caliber over all the rest. I carry either a 10, 9, .380, or a .45 and don't care what others think about it because life is just too short to worry about petty semantics. Know your gun, train with it, and select a vetted projectile for it and you'll be G to G.
    Caliber wars, certainly. Intelligent discussions of the nuances of calibers in terms of shooter performance, terminal ballistic and barrier performance, and inventory, logistics, sustainability, etc are all the higher level discussions that we strive for. Your use of "carry...what shoots best" is a good example. Shoots best in what, where, for him, in what conditions, and by what metrics? There is a difference. Few threads and post rise to that level.

For example, your comment...

I carry either a 10, 9, .380, or a .45
    ...reflects quite a range of potential variables. Have you parsed them out? What kind of formal training have you attended? What's your classification in any competitive discipline (IDPA, USPSA, etc)? What are your favorite shooting drills? How did you vet them for your use?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast