Thread: Remove excess material from LMT ambi safety

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Remove excess material from LMT ambi safety

I finally got around to putting together the “stripped” MARS-L lower I bought a couple months ago. Used a SOLGW blaster kit for the needed lower parts and Geissele G2S.

Once I got it together yesterday, I noticed the safety seemed to stick a little over halfway to fire; I could force it through though, so thought it might just be a little tighter tolerances.
    I dropped a little lube around the safety and started flipping it back and forth for a while. Didn’t fix it, and seemed to see a little wear on the safety detent. I dropped in a new safety detent from spare parts kit I had on hand. No change. Also tried a spare detent spring. No change. At this point, I’d already looked at the LMT safety selector and seemed to see a ‘burr’ (?), but wanted to confirm that the mark hadn’t somehow been caused by the SOLGW kit, since LMT has a stellar reputation.

Today, I pulled out the trigger and replaced the safety lever with a slightly used PSA selector that I took off my SBR a long time ago. Replaced the SOLGW spring and detent. Golden, no snagging.

So to my comfort level, I’ve diagnosed the problem and now have to fix it.

The question: What’s the recommended method of “cleaning out” the LMT safety?

Secondary question: The detent point has been worn down a little, but it positively engages; should I concern myself with replacing the detent?

09EF02FC-E88F-4E92-B570-2E58B27AB30D.jpg

77A1F689-1712-44B1-ABEE-E264164985D6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JediGuy; 01-14-19 at 19:31. Reason: Changed double picture
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    The question: What’s the recommended method of “cleaning out” the LMT safety?
    Jeweler's File
    Fine Stone
    >600 emery cloth

Go slow, be precise, do pretty work.

Secondary question: The detent point has been worn down a little, but it positively engages; should I concern myself with replacing the detent?
    Really, the your imprecisely made detent plunger doen't need to be pointy. Pointy is cheaper to manufacture than rounded. Let it ride.

Feedback Score
    It takes a tremendous amount of wear to make a detent not work properly. It should be fine.
    I'm a firm believer in "Truth" "Justice" and "The American Way". But, "The American Way" in which in I believe, is of "Days Past" probably before I was born. As this concept is always "evolving", I can't say I like where it is headed. Dan.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. As info, I also emailed LMT over the weekend, and Aaron reached out to me by phone today. After explaining and sending pictures, he’s sending out a replacement, plus a new detent. Thumbs up for the customer service.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’m not going to lie. It’s a bit disappointing to have great customer service...and then be sent a cosmetically defective and unbranded replacement part.

LMT sent a new “main piece” for my ambi selector, and the face has machine marks, there is no LMT logo, and the coloring is far “warmer” than the other safety parts or any of the other lower controls that came installed on the lower receiver. The coloring isn’t a big deal to me, though odd, but the clear “blemished” quality is offputting, considering what was paid for a lower that had defective parts due, per LMT customer service, to lacking QA.

That’s about the most negative thing I’ve posted on a forum in about 15 years. But they did kindly include a new detent and ‘swag.’

616F878E-BA14-4C64-8DD0-C714D079B432.jpg
    Last edited by JediGuy; 02-01-19 at 20:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, since they replaced the original because you weren't satisfied, I'd call them up and talk to them again.

Aaron probably didn't fullfil your order, just some minion in the parts department. This time maybe he will see it gets extra care in selection.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Threads like this one give me pause about buying LMT.

I mean, they’re beautiful works of engineering, and all of the feedback re: CS is stellar.

But these nagging QC posts here and elsewhere make me wary to drop the coin for one of their rifles. I’m saving up, but it’s a lot of money to spend and still wonder: what will I be getting?

So, I dunno ...
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    In fairness, this was from a stripped lower that included the ambi controls (bolt catch, mag release, safety). I understand it isn’t practical to function test a safety when a grip is not installed. I’m not a manufacturer, so I won’t jump in and say they have a problem, beyond that they don’t have a step in place to confirm proper function/machining for a safety not installed on a complete lower. Stuff happens.
    I can’t imagine they’re knowingly letting things slip when they have full-on military contracts to fulfill.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Excellent points, JG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    LMT is known for functional reliability, not being pretty. I've had issues with two LMT items and CS resolved both.