G&R Tactical

Thread: Remove excess material from LMT ambi safety

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Remove excess material from LMT ambi safety

I finally got around to putting together the “stripped” MARS-L lower I bought a couple months ago. Used a SOLGW blaster kit for the needed lower parts and Geissele G2S.

Once I got it together yesterday, I noticed the safety seemed to stick a little over halfway to fire; I could force it through though, so thought it might just be a little tighter tolerances.
    I dropped a little lube around the safety and started flipping it back and forth for a while. Didn’t fix it, and seemed to see a little wear on the safety detent. I dropped in a new safety detent from spare parts kit I had on hand. No change. Also tried a spare detent spring. No change. At this point, I’d already looked at the LMT safety selector and seemed to see a ‘burr’ (?), but wanted to confirm that the mark hadn’t somehow been caused by the SOLGW kit, since LMT has a stellar reputation.

Today, I pulled out the trigger and replaced the safety lever with a slightly used PSA selector that I took off my SBR a long time ago. Replaced the SOLGW spring and detent. Golden, no snagging.

So to my comfort level, I’ve diagnosed the problem and now have to fix it.

The question: What’s the recommended method of “cleaning out” the LMT safety?

Secondary question: The detent point has been worn down a little, but it positively engages; should I concern myself with replacing the detent?

09EF02FC-E88F-4E92-B570-2E58B27AB30D.jpg

77A1F689-1712-44B1-ABEE-E264164985D6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JediGuy; 01-14-19 at 20:31. Reason: Changed double picture
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    The question: What’s the recommended method of “cleaning out” the LMT safety?
    Jeweler's File
    Fine Stone
    >600 emery cloth

Go slow, be precise, do pretty work.

Secondary question: The detent point has been worn down a little, but it positively engages; should I concern myself with replacing the detent?
    Really, the your imprecisely made detent plunger doen't need to be pointy. Pointy is cheaper to manufacture than rounded. Let it ride.

Feedback Score
    It takes a tremendous amount of wear to make a detent not work properly. It should be fine.
    I'm a firm believer in "Truth" "Justice" and "The American Way". But, "The American Way" in which in I believe, is of "Days Past" probably before I was born. As this concept is always "evolving", I can't say I like where it is headed. Dan.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. As info, I also emailed LMT over the weekend, and Aaron reached out to me by phone today. After explaining and sending pictures, he’s sending out a replacement, plus a new detent. Thumbs up for the customer service.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther