Thread: Scope for short precision AR

Feedback Score

Scope for short precision AR

Looking for a scope to turn my 14.5” into a 600yard or so rifle.
    Looking at :
    vortex viper pst 2-10x32
    Trijicon accupower 2.5-10x56 mil-square reticle

Anything else to consider?
    I plan on puting a vortex 1-6 or nx8 on my next rifle, so looking for something with more top-end mag and distance capability.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    NF NXS compact 2.5-10x32/42mm. I have some of each and find them very useful out to 600 yards or so while still remaining relatively compact.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I really like the leupold mk6 and mk5 3-18. They are so short and very light considering their magnification.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’d consider the Trijicon 2.5-12x42 Accupoint over the 56mm objective lens Accupower.
    I have a couple on 16” guns that are MIL/MIL.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Depending on the target size you are shooting at 600yds and if your vision in your aiming eye is 20/20, probably at least 10x or more magnification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    NF NXS compact 2.5-10x32/42mm. I have some of each and find them very useful out to 600 yards or so while still remaining relatively compact.
    Being that this is a recreational/hunting rifle, I'm looking to keep the $ about half that. I understand I may be taking a durability - maybe slight clarity hit with the trijicon or vortex.
    What else do I get with the NF I miss out on the the other options? Is clarity difference more than slight?

Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    I really like the leupold mk6 and mk5 3-18. They are so short and very light considering their magnification.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    the mk6hd looks interesting but, again, I was planning on keeping the price down. I'll be getting a bolt gun for actual long range stuff (PRS competitions) in a couple years, so that was going to be my money pit. The idea here is something with decent capability and durability. Now if staying with a $800-$1k optic is going to hold me back at 600-700 MAX, then I'll likely reconsider.

I have zero experience with anything past 4x and 450 yards, so I'm open to education. My research thus far has led me to here.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’d consider the Trijicon 2.5-12x42 Accupoint over the 56mm objective lens Accupower.
    I have a couple on 16” guns that are MIL/MIL.
    What is your reasoning? Does this allow a lower mount? I see it is lighter, but I like the ability to illuminate in low light, or is this a non-issue?

Thanks for the input, all!
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-13-19 at 18:55.

Feedback Score
    What about the SWFA SS HD 3-9x42? Reliable tracking, solid glass, good price, and only 19oz

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Being that this is a recreational/hunting rifle, I'm looking to keep the $ about half that. I understand I may be taking a durability - maybe slight clarity hit with the trijicon or vortex.
    What else do I get with the NF I miss out on the the other options? Is clarity difference more than slight?

the mk6hd looks interesting but, again, I was planning on keeping the price down. I'll be getting a bolt gun for actual long range stuff (PRS competitions) in a couple years, so that was going to be my money pit. The idea here is something with decent capability and durability. Now if staying with a $800-$1k optic is going to hold me back at 600-700 MAX, then I'll likely reconsider.

I have zero experience with anything past 4x and 450 yards, so I'm open to education. My research thus far has led me to here.

What is your reasoning? Does this allow a lower mount? I see it is lighter, but I like the ability to illuminate in low light, or is this a non-issue?

Thanks for the input, all!
    Not sure what your budget will allow, but used 32mm compacts can be found for ~900-1000 depending on features. I’m of the opinion that NXS glass is actually quite good, though not coated to “pop” with contrasting colors. I’ve owned and been unimpressed with Trijicon scopes in the view department.

I’d be concerned with mechanical durability if I were to be dialing a lot at 600 as opposed to using holdovers. I like having trustworthy turrets at distance.

Feedback Score
    I am in the same boat, looking for a scope in a similar magnification in a similar price bracket. One I am considering that I haven’t seen mentioned is the new Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 illuminated models. The 4-14x50 F1 model has had some good reviews. The 3-10 illuminated models are priced around $985.00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Not sure what your budget will allow, but used 32mm compacts can be found for ~900-1000 depending on features. I’m of the opinion that NXS glass is actually quite good, though not coated to “pop” with contrasting colors. I’ve owned and been unimpressed with Trijicon scopes in the view department.

I’d be concerned with mechanical durability if I were to be dialing a lot at 600 as opposed to using holdovers. I like having trustworthy turrets at distance.
    Oh, I did a quick search and came up with $1800-$2k
    If I find one for <$1k, Ill probably get it.

3-9 is too limited IMO, why not get 2-10 since its out there. The weight and price is worth it for this application.