Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 Stock suggestions

Feedback Score

MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 Stock suggestions

So I recently acquired an MDT LSS-XL gen 2 chassis for my Tikka, chasing the accuracy dragon. The chassis has a standard buffer tube mount on it, allowing any AR-15 style buffer tube mounted stock to work. I am specifically looking for something with an adjustable comb height, with LOP adjustments presumably coming from the buffer tube. Most AR-15 stocks do not rise above the charging handle height, but I have to believe that someone has come up with a stock designed to be run on any of the various chassis systems that mount a buffer tube assembly.

Any recommendations? I haven't found much with my google-fu (which may be quite weak).

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    So I recently acquired an MDT LSS-XL gen 2 chassis for my Tikka, chasing the accuracy dragon. The chassis has a standard buffer tube mount on it, allowing any AR-15 style buffer tube mounted stock to work. I am specifically looking for something with an adjustable comb height, with LOP adjustments presumably coming from the buffer tube. Most AR-15 stocks do not rise above the charging handle height, but I have to believe that someone has come up with a stock designed to be run on any of the various chassis systems that mount a buffer tube assembly.

Any recommendations? I haven't found much with my google-fu (which may be quite weak).
    Is your chassis set up to take fixed AR stocks (complete end plate interface) or just carbine tubes? If it's the former MDT makes a very nice adjustable stock specifically for that chassis. If the latter, I would take look at either the MDT Skeleton Carbine stock, one of the stocks made by XLR industries.

MDT Skeleton Rifle Stock

MDT Skeleton Carbine Stock

XLR Industries

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/buttstocks

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Magpul PRS stocks are excellent precision stocks and have an adjustable comb. They use a proprietary buffer tube which, from what read, work nicely with the MDT chassis.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Magpul PRS stocks are excellent precision stocks and have an adjustable comb. They use a proprietary buffer tube which, from what read, work nicely with the MDT chassis.
    The newer PRS stocks are set up to work with either a carbine buffer tube or a rifle tube, where the Gen 1 & Gen 2 worked only with a rifle buffer tube. Maybe you're thinking about the UBR? It has an integrated buffer tube, but doesn't have an adjustable comb.

Magpul PRS stocks are great for ARs (if you like the extremely long length of pull) but they are often much to long to work on a bolt action chassis, and the comb can sometimes lack enough adjustment for some people to get an adequate cheek weld, since the stock is usually dropped below the bore axis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    The newer PRS stocks are set up to work with either a carbine buffer tube or a rifle tube, where the Gen 1 & Gen 2 worked only with a rifle buffer tube. Maybe you're thinking about the UBR? It has an integrated buffer tube, but doesn't have an adjustable comb.

Magpul PRS stocks are great for ARs (if you like the extremely long length of pull) but they are often much to long to work on a bolt action chassis, and the comb can sometimes lack enough adjustment for some people to get an adequate cheek weld, since the stock is usually dropped below the bore axis.
    I’ve o my used PRS’son AR’s but I’ve read on Snipershide that some have installed them on MDT chassis and others that use AR-sized tubes. I could very well be wrong, though

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I’ve o my used PRS’son AR’s but I’ve read on Snipershide that some have installed them on MDT chassis and others that use AR-sized tubes. I could very well be wrong, though
    There are absolutely folks who use them on MDT chassis. The stock just results in an extremely long length of pull and doesn't have enough comb adjustment for some.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Is your chassis set up to take fixed AR stocks (complete end plate interface) or just carbine tubes? If it's the former MDT makes a very nice adjustable stock specifically for that chassis. If the latter, I would take look at either the MDT Skeleton Carbine stock, one of the stocks made by XLR industries.

MDT Skeleton Rifle Stock

MDT Skeleton Carbine Stock

XLR Industries

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/buttstocks
    I appreciate the suggestions regarding the MDT branded stocks. Were those realistic options, I would have ordered one. Frankly, they appear well over priced at $370. Maybe I am crazy. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations. That there isn't a Magpul stock that can be modified to accept an adjustable comb seems ridiculous to me. The difference between a $60 CRT and a $370 MDT adjustable carbine stock seems to leave an enormous gap to be filled in.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I have this same chassis and butstock interface for my 6.5CM Tikka. I kept it simple and used a CTR with a cheek riser that clips into the top of the stock. A MOE works the same for a little less cost. As long as you keep your ring height in check, you should be fine with this setup.

Aside from the magpul PRS mentioned above, the other option that I considered was one of the Luth-AR stocks. Not sure how quality compares to Magpul as I’m not familiar with them though.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    I appreciate the suggestions regarding the MDT branded stocks. Were those realistic options, I would have ordered one. Frankly, they appear well over priced at $370. Maybe I am crazy. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations. That there isn't a Magpul stock that can be modified to accept an adjustable comb seems ridiculous to me. The difference between a $60 CRT and a $370 MDT adjustable carbine stock seems to leave an enormous gap to be filled in.
    The MDT skeleton stock is extremely nice, on par with the stock system on an MPA chassis or similar, but I understand the sticker shock. I really brings that chassis to the next level.

Luth-AR may be another option that would probably be easier to swallow in terms of price. Their MBA-3 stock will work on a carbine buffer tube, and it has both adjustable comb height and LOP. The MBA-1 is similar to a Magpul PRS, uses a rifle buffer tube, and is probably a little long for an MDT chassis, unless you prefer a longer length of pull (longer than 13"). But really, by the time you buy the buffer tube and other parts you could just buy the much nicer XLR Tactical Lite stock for $200

If you have the chassis that works with fixed stocks you could also grab a used Ruger RPR stock and give that a try.

Feedback Score
    I also have a mdt chassis. I went through the same thing. I ended up exchanging my rings for a lower set and went with the magpul ctr with .75 riser. This setup works well for now. I figured if I were to spend near $400 on a stock, I'd be better off getting a whole new chassis like a manners or foundation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast