Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downstairs Dora: the working Retro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Downstairs Dora: the working Retro

I really like Retro style ARs, and while my primary "go to" AR wears an Aimpoint, I put together a 727 style carbine that is set to become a second-line go to and "ride-along" rifle.
    I shoot iron sights a lot still and appreciate the lightness and simplicity of an iron-sighted AR for certain purposes such as chucking it into a vehicle for the day, (and sometimes having an upside-down bathroom sink accidentally slide on top of it when I hit the brakes) or perhaps spending some time out in inclement weather. Basically I wanted something that could take over the role my Colt 6520 fills now, because I want to take it easier on my one and only Colt.

Although I generally don't name my guns, instead referring to them by number, I've taken to calling #3 here "Downstairs Dora" as a bit of a joke, since the gun currently resides in the basement due to safe crowding issues upstairs, and has an obnoxiously long pinned flash hider. Basically "Dora" is an obscure reference to the "D" variant of the WW2 Luftwaffe Focke-Wulf FW-190, nicknamed "Longnose Dora" or the "Downstairs Maid"

The carbine has a Windham 14.5" barrel - not my first choice, the barrel specs as listed are good but Windham batch tests their barrels vs testing each individual unit. I'd have preferred a BCM or Colt barrel but the Windham barrel already had a pinned extended A2 and, more importantly, came with a *Non F* height FSB. Using a Non F in this day and age is normally considered kind of a lame move by a manufacturer, but since in my case the barrel was intended for an A2 style upper, the Non F FSB was actually a critical selling point.
    A complaint I do have is the extended A2 - it's too extended. It's a fair bit longer than it needs to be and slightly annoys me.
    Here it is compared to the more reasonable BCM A2X I have on my GUU-5/P clone. I regret not getting the barrel without the pre-pinned FH and just having a shorter one pinned myself.

Another con of Windham barrels is their large (.067) gas port. Keeping this in mind I skipped right to an H2 buffer, and the gun generally ejects about 3-4 O'Clock.

With just over 800 rounds through the gun as of this morning when I took "Dora" out for a range trip in 12degree weather, I have found the barrel to be fairly accurate.

Something else I did was make a point of getting an A2 upper with M4 feedramps, which I got from Fulton Armory.

BCG is a Sionics. The guys at Sionics probably wouldn't be thrilled about one of their carriers slumming it up with a Windham barrel, but eh, what are you going to do? . If it makes them feel better I picked it deliberately because I wanted to make sure I had a high quality BCG in the gun.

I decided I wanted to party like it was 1995 and took a piece of Magpul rail, screwed it onto some CAR handguards and attached a Surefire G2X to them with a GG&G mount.

I also have a BCM foregrip on there, I have them on three other guns and like them. It was originally a Keymod, but I managed to damage this one a while back while being stupid and repurposed it to fit on the CAR handguards. In terms of the ergonomics of my light placement, it's OK, but not perfect and I may re-do it.

Lower is a Stag with a BCM receiver extension, buffer spring and H2 buffer. And I think it has an ALG QMS FCG in it as well.... however I'm going to be honest, I'm not positive. I know one of my carbines has a QMS in it, but in the course of shuffling parts around I'm not 100% which AR has the QMS now.

Overall it's been a good gun thus far.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 01-13-19 at 18:49.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I like that quite a bit. Especially the picture in the snow. What's the final weight, unloaded?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With the G2X, my Berkeley digital fish scale says 6 lbs, 10 ounces (6.63lbs). So not super light, but still a bit lighter than my optics-equipped ARs.
    If I remember correctly, prior to mounting the light and with a different VFG made out of a chopped A2 grip it weighed in at like 6lbs 2ozs/3ozs

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    It seems you've built the carbine version of my A2, as we both used a Fulton A2 upper with a Windham barrel. I like it, I like it a lot.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I have a lower and spare 16" Sionics LW barrel I've been thinking of doing a FSB build with. This thread gives me good vibes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can't get away from FSBs. I keep saying "The next AR I build is going to have a free float M-lok handguard" and I just keep going with FSBs.
    At some point I do want to build sort of an SPR type rifle and that almost certainly will be a free float M-lok handguard, but all my more general purpose stuff might just end up with FSBs for a while yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    With the G2X, my Berkeley digital fish scale says 6 lbs, 10 ounces (6.63lbs). So not super light, but still a bit lighter than my optics-equipped ARs.
    If I remember correctly, prior to mounting the light and with a different VFG made out of a chopped A2 grip it weighed in at like 6lbs 2ozs/3ozs
    I put a Streamlight TLR3 on a Midwest Industries FSB mount on my Colt 6720. I literally cannot feel the difference in weight between the front end of it and my bone stock 6520's barrel end.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I can't get away from FSBs. I keep saying "The next AR I build is going to have a free float M-lok handguard" and I just keep going with FSBs.
    At some point I do want to build sort of an SPR type rifle and that almost certainly will be a free float M-lok handguard, but all my more general purpose stuff might just end up with FSBs for a while yet.
    Nice, I really like the look of fixed carry handles. And I, too, am a FSB guy.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Don't blame you. I'm kind of turning back in that direction myself for non-precision builds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I put a Streamlight TLR3 on a Midwest Industries FSB mount on my Colt 6720. I literally cannot feel the difference in weight between the front end of it and my bone stock 6520's barrel end.

I find it hard to believe that the G2X, rail section etc.. adds 8oz (1/2 a pound!) to the overall weight but unless my scale is off that seems to be the case. I went with the Surefire G2X on this gun mostly because I also already use one on my "main" go-to AR and already had an extra one kicking around (Sort of a theme for this project actually). However I don't find the extra weight on the front of this gun all that noticeable *thus far*.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 01-14-19 at 18:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast