Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on sweat guard height for AIWB?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    I go with a medium guard as I find it is the best compromise. It keeps my undershirt out of the way, provides some comfort, but doesn't stab me.
    Appreciate the respond all! It is personal preference I admit. However, what do you mean by compromise? What does having no guard or a really low guard cause? Slide chafing? Or I should ask what are the negatives of low guard?
    Last edited by DocMaynard; 01-14-19 at 18:42. Reason: adding last question

Feedback Score
    No guard covering the rear of the gun means you sweat up the gun and that the gun pokes you via slide serrations or other protrusions on the back.

The guard is to protect the gun from you and you from the gun, and abrasion both ways.

If the guard goes to the back end of the slide, to me it has served its purpose. Longer and the guard pokes you when you bend. Shorter and no protection for the gun is offered, and the protuberant parts of the gun poke you when you bend like sights or safeties.

If you are a safety guy and the safeties project somewhat, like on the M and P line of autos, covering the back of the gun is especially relevant. Cover the pokey bits and avoid projection of the guard significantly beyond the gun is my formula for best results.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMaynard View Post
    Appreciate the respond all! It is personal preference I admit. However, what do you mean by compromise? What does having no guard or a really low guard cause? Slide chafing? Or I should ask what are the negatives of low guard?
    Two benefits of a guard for me are protecting my undershirt / skin from wear and making sure my undershirt isn't in the holster when reholstering. This isn't a top priority so I can live with no guard, but if I get to choose I want one. I don't prefer a full guard because I have been "stabbed" in training by my own holster and don't love it. However, when not having a guard I have also been pinched on reholstering and love that even less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    Two benefits of a guard for me are protecting my undershirt / skin from wear and making sure my undershirt isn't in the holster when reholstering. This isn't a top priority so I can live with no guard, but if I get to choose I want one. I don't prefer a full guard because I have been "stabbed" in training by my own holster and don't love it. However, when not having a guard I have also been pinched on reholstering and love that even less.
    Thank you!! This is perfect.

Feedback Score
    I had the Wing Claw 2.0 for an M&P, with a high guard. For the M&P the high guard activates the safety on reholster. The high guard could be a pain moving around. But with some light sanding could be remedied. High guard is nice if you train from iwb, hot gun on skin is no bueno. If you wear an undershirt, it's less of an issue. With a glock I would go with a mid guard, if an undershirt is regularly worn.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I have multiple AIWB holsters and carry that way everyday. I despise sweat guards for AIWB. If you have to draw and then move/crouch, it's a pretty terrible feeling to get jabbed with it.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I carry AIWB with no sweat guard and I have no issues. Matter of fact I have a G Code OWB that had a seat guard and I ended up cutting it down because it poked me in the side when the gun was out of it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carry a G17 or G23 AIWB. JMCK Wing Claw 2.0, most of the time. Often in the JMCK standard AIWB also.

I prefer full guard. Protects the slide from my sweat. Also prevents skin bein' pinched when reholstering.

Like many concealment holster issues though, it's personal preferrence.

Feedback Score
    Several years of EDC carry with no sweat guard made corrosion penetrate even HE finish on slide on my P2000SK. I now opt for full height sweat guard. I carry on 11 o'clock (left handed) in Raven Phantom Light converted for AIWB. Empty holster does not poke me more that when gun sits in the holster. Actually I move or crouch (to tie my shoelaces for example) all the time with holstered gun and I do not see how possibly it can be more of a problem when I draw it. Actually when there is no gun in holster crouches are more comfortable because sweatguard can flex.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    Several years of EDC carry with no sweat guard made corrosion penetrate even HE finish on slide on my P2000SK. I now opt for full height sweat guard. I carry on 11 o'clock (left handed) in Raven Phantom Light converted for AIWB. Empty holster does not poke me more that when gun sits in the holster. Actually I move or crouch (to tie my shoelaces for example) all the time with holstered gun and I do not see how possibly it can be more of a problem when I draw it. Actually when there is no gun in holster crouches are more comfortable because sweatguard can flex.
    Can you post a picture of your holster? I’m interested in how you converted that model to AIWB.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast