Thread: How accurate is an AR pistol...

Feedback Score

How accurate is an AR pistol...

That is a rhetorical question, and the answer: surprisingly (at least to me). Out of curiosity, I recently bought a PSA pistol upper and lower (10.5" barrel, SBA3 brace & polished trigger). I had an Aimpoint PRO that I mounted on the rail. The second time at the range, I was quite surprised to manage a 1" 3-shot group at 50 yds from a rest. The following week I decided to take it to the 200 yd range where there are steel plates (not expecting much success). Off a rest, it took me 3 misses to get zeroed, but then managed to "ring" the plate with the next 5-8 shots. When I bought the gun I figured I might be lucky to get 2-3" groups at 25 yds, and never expected to do much better considering the short barrel and that the pistol was a rather inexpensive PSA product. To top it off, it really is a fun little gun to shoot making it easy to burn through a lot of ammo.

I suspect this may not be news for those who've shot AR pistols for awhile, but it was an eye opener for me.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The only difference between what you have and an SBR is the brace in lieu of a stock. A 10.5" barreled AR is much more than a 25 yard gun. You should have no problems with anything from 0 to 300 yards with your described set up. I believe it was Eurodriver (though I could be mistaken) that once posted him getting hits at 600 yards with a barrel in the 10.5" - 12.5" range. Don't just confine it to 25 yards, enjoy it!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the insight, Bogart.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for bringing up the subject...

I never tried any groups with mine. I have shot it at plates at 75 and 100 yards without a problem, using a Primary Arms Advanced Microdot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I haven't seen any group changes for my 100 yds zeroes between SBRs and my AR pistols.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad to see you enjoying and appreciating your new pistol. Yes, they can be very accurate. Mine are more than accurate enough 50m and in. Never shot them at a greater distance but am confident that would pose no issue (within reason).

Feedback Score
    Barrel length doesn’t determine mechanical accuracy in a firearm. A shorter barrel only limits sight radius (but that is a none issue with a red dot or scope) and bullet velocity. Bullet velocity influences range and accuracy over longer distances
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb