Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade DD or swap to LWRC

Feedback Score

Upgrade DD or swap to LWRC

Hey guys new to forum. I currently own a ddm4v5. Ive been wanting to upgrade bolt to NIB and trigger to geissele. But should I save the $500 and just spring for a Lwrc piston gun. I want an ar for reliability,self defense and shtf. I understand there's pros and cons for di and piston. But to me the piston makes more reliable sense keeping the carbon out of the action. Also as well I wanted to install a roller cam pan in DD to help with cam pin wear. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    What you have is fine. NIB is not a good coating and can flake and wear. DD bolts are great and i would keep that, but if you want a coated one go with Sionics NP3. Much better lubricity and more durable.

for the trigger get a Larue MBT for $87. Just as good as Geiselle SSA IMO and more than 50% less

Basically i would change nothing. DD makes good rifles, but the above changes would be better than what you are thinking IMO.. I would rather have a DD than a LWRCI any day of the week.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Not sure what you hope to gain by going to the LWRC. The DD is a fantastic rifle. As far as upgrading the trigger and bolt, go for it if that floats your boat. The trigger I can see, the bolt....meh....it’s your $$. Don’t think there’s a thing in the world wrong with a standard DD bolt and BCG. Unless I was going to go to a Sionics NP3, I’d leave it, but again, your $$, your call.
    You will find that MANY folks here will steer you away from piston guns. I can say 100% without a doubt, for me, pistons are a solution looking for a problem. I have hundreds of thousands of rounds through my DI guns, and for the last month, every single one has been shot suppressed. The “DI’s shit where they eat” argument is weak sauce. Keep them lubed and they will run virtually forever. I do not like the dual recoil impulse of a piston, and absolutely would not trade a great DI like the Daniel for a piston gun.
    If you WANT another rifle, cool....rock it. But, if you’re thinking instead of installing a trigger and new bolt, you’ll just trade for a LWRC, that’s not a trade I’d make.

My background is such that I’m a Colt trained Armorer, and have been to the Semper Paratus 2 day Armorer school. I shoot AR’s almost daily, and my dept has about 1500 rifles on the streets. So, I’ve seen one or two rifles.

ETA: Everready and I were typing at the exact same time. We didn’t see each other’s responses. Hmmmm, advise sounds similar.
    Last edited by Vegasshooter; 01-14-19 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Put the Geissele in, don't screw with the rest of it.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input. Gonna keep my DD. Goin to def upgrade trigger not to thrilled with stock one. As with the bolt just wanted something with more lubricity. Looking for best reliability I know DD makes great stuff but more lubricity = less friction makes sense in that stand point. What's your thought on the sharps bcg? Should I consider the roller pin at all with such a low round count in my DD the cam pin is making noticable nicks already

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not much else to say. Stick with the advice above.

I have about 6 or 7 thousand rounds total between my two DD M4V7's and I'm still waiting for my very first malfunction.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Put the Geissele in, don't screw with the rest of it.
    Yup.

You already have a quality, known quantity rifle that works.

Go the Geissele SSA or SSA-E.

I'd leave the bolt alone but that's just me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Good God! There could almost be no bigger mistake than replacing a DD with LWRCi junk.... and piston to ice the cake.

NiB is a horrible bolt finish... as pointed out. I had one, and it was probably the worst firearms purchase I've made. Finish holds carbon like a magnet, and my bolt lugs broke off at very low round count.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Appreciate it guys. Gonna take advice. The only issue I've had with my DD was a failure to extract a steel case. I shoot brass 99% of time but had this left over. I just chaulked the failure up to shitty ammo and not on the gun

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtorq21 View Post
    Appreciate it guys. Gonna take advice. The only issue I've had with my DD was a failure to extract a steel case. I shoot brass 99% of time but had this left over. I just chaulked the failure up to shitty ammo and not on the gun
    Yeah a single failure on a steel case wouldn't concern me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast