Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom 1911 question

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reliability with a wide variety of ammunition is the most important consideration for me.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Primary and Secondary recently had a "modcast" on the 1911 and had several well known makers on it. They discussed what you are asking and this video may give some perspective. The Youtube video is pretty long, but i caught the beginning of it on Spreaker driving home from work yesterday. From what i hear some pretty good stuff. Spreaker is good to listen to this if you dont want the video (it's free)

Some pretty heavy hitters in the industry share their perspective/experience

Joe Chambers of Chambers Custom
    Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts
    Tim Herron of Tim Herron Shooting
    Dave Laubert of Defensive Creations LLC
    Chuck Pressburg of Presscheck Consulting
    AJ Zito of Practical Performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_NrooMVMms

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I know that I want the person carving on my 1911 to be a 1911 guy. It is necessary but not sufficient for you to be mechanically competent. If I’m telling you how my gun is shooting and how I’d like it to shoot and you don’t get what I’m talking about I’m moving on to someone who “gets it”.

If I tell you what I like and dislike about a particular 1911 out there, will you know what I’m talking about? People buying full house customs have very specific requirements and you need to speak their language.

I think most serious 1911 smiths have a lot of trigger time on the platform. If you don’t have that you should get it before starting your business.

You’ll know what people need because you’ll have first hand knowledge from running the platform.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 01-16-19 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ^Exactly.

Gunsmith? Whatevers dude. You ain't gettin' anywhere close to my 1911 if you're not a 1911 guy, like that's all you do.

1911s are almost a black art and take intimate, passionate understanding to really build a true custom that's ready to go to work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    1911s are almost a black art and take intimate, passionate understanding to really build a true custom that's ready to go to work.
    Yep. Kinda like Colt DA revolvers only not as bad.

Feedback Score

I agree

I actually could not agree more. I deliberately did not post my resume or mention my years of shooting and working on the 1911 platform. I just wanted to state that I was not just some random guy that know nothing that decided to build 1911s. I somehow knew this would end up being the topic of discussion. The purpose of this post was to see what 1911 guys want and if there is any need out there that is not being met. Any qualifications I list and weather or not I claim to be a "1911 guy" or not means nothing. The end result 1911 I build will tell the story and nothing else. It is my love for the 1911 platform that drives me. Working on or building most other firearms does not interest me much these days. I just wonder sometimes if there is something something out there that all the 1911 builders are lacking. Something we all missed. I refuse to believe that every idea and innovation of the 1911 has been done.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Front. Strap. Checkering.
    High, extended grip safety.
    I like front slide serrations.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    - High Cut Grip (check out Alchemy Custom Weaponry)
    - Dead nuts reliable with JHP ammo out of the box.
    - front strap checkering
    - Magwell
    - Rear sight with ledge
    - front sight with high visibility
    - properly fit Kart barrel and bushings
    - All USA made tool steel internals, forged slide and frame.
    - 9MM and .45ACP.
    - Tuned to work with Wilson and Tripp mags.
    - If I was building these I would test fire and regulate sights with 100 rounds minimum of Gold Dot JHP’s. Build that into the cost of each gun. I would have happily paid more for any 1911 that was properly function checked with JHP ammo.
    Last edited by og556; 01-21-19 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Reliable
    High Cut and Trued Grip
    Checkered Front Strap, Main Spring Housing, Blended Magwell
    Smooth edges
    Blended surfaced on anything skin will touch, including the safeties

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If I were gonna get into the 1911 business with no reputation (not saying OP doesn’t), I’d offer mid tier packages and quick month to 6 week turnaround)

Example would be $500 gets you a reliability job, trigger job, front strap checkering and parked/blued finish.

I think a lot of people that would be in for something like that, especially for sub $1000 guns like milspecs, RO’s, 1991’s and S70’s

$750 gets you something like upgraded safety and beavertail and fitted bushing

I’m sure my math doesn’t work out, but it’s what I would want to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast